Are You Old Enough to Have Played with These?

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Are You Old Enough to Have Played with These?

Post by wsott1970 »

IMG_5079.jpg
Although, I liked the small sized ones as well... something was very cool about those early, giant Shogun Warriors toys.

I recently bought into imperial knights (5 knights now - obsessive me)... and I think it has triggered some latent memory of playing with those shogun toys... They don't look alike at all from a style perspective... While I can let a box of models sit for days without doing the drudgery of inspecting them...
Not those knights... I pop them out and proceed to play with them on the same day they arrive!

Already thinking about this (OK list from LVO):

++ Super-Heavy Detachment +6CP (Imperial Knights) [96PL, 1805pts] ++
Household Choice: House Krast, Questor Mechanicus

LoW: Knight Castellan [30PL, 604pts]: Plasma Decimator, Titanic Feet, Twin Melta, Volcano Lance, Shieldbreaker Missile, Twin Shieldbreaker Cannon, Warlord

LoW: Knight Gallant [20PL, 352pts]: Heavy Stubber, Reaper Chainsword, Thunderstrike Gauntlet, Titanic Feet

LoW: Knight Warden [23PL, 427pts]: Heavy Stubber, Ironstrom Missile Pod, Thunderstrike Gauntlet, Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Titanic Feet

LoW: Knight Warden [23PL, 427pts]: Heavy Stubber, Ironstrom Missile Pod, Thunderstrike Gauntlet, Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Titanic Feet

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Astra Militarum) [13PL, 195pts] ++
HQ: Company Commander [2PL, 30pts[: Chainsword, Laspistol
HQ: Company Commander [2PL, 30pts[: Chainsword, Laspistol

Troops: Infantry Squad [3PL, 45pts]: 7x Heavy Weapons Team: Mortar, Sergeant: Laspistol
Troops: Infantry Squad [3PL, 45pts]: 7x Heavy Weapons Team: Mortar, Sergeant: Laspistol

It just looks fun to me... though I may have to alter the knights into Chaos and flip the Militarium into Renegade Legion.

Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Are You Old Enough to Have Played with These?

Post by kturock »

I'm old enough to have sold them in Toys R us.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Holy Crap! That is awesome!
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

wsott1970 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:52 am
Holy Crap! That is awesome!
Wha that they were in TRU or that I was selling them? ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Toys... I grew up in a very rural place so I doubt we had one anywhere near us (by which I mean in the state... lol)... Funny to think about TrU existing back then... I kind of remember those as 76ish (Shogun Warriors Large Models)...

Thanks,
Sean
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I recall them back in TRU in the 80's.

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Oh... I never remember the big ones past the 70s... Seems like I remember getting mine a year (or so) before Star Wars... and then SW blew them right off the scene.

In the 70s, we (as you probably remember) ordered things from catalogs a lot (especially for Christmas)... So, it could easily be that Sears only carried them for a while... or something like that.

The other thing with them is (as again you will probably remember) that they actually fired the missiles (and fist for that matter)... and that seemed to become kind of an issue with the first bobba-fet's missile (perhaps an urban myth as I have never seen one that fired his backpack missile from a real purchase vs not for mass production/etc) missile that was a choking hazard. That seemed to put the kybosh on shooting missiles for a long time.
Last edited by wsott1970 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I recall TRU had at least 1 big one and several of smaller size.

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Yeah, smaller were much more common around here... I would bet money that we had to order those big ones... It was the 80s until we had a ..... K-MART... not Wal-Mart... not JC Penny... or Sears... but a K!
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

In South Florida we had several Kmarts, sears, pennys and such.. Lionel Playworld had a store forever until they went out of business. There was a KayBee toys even in the mall, which was built in the 70's.

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Yeah... S.Florida was jumpin' in the 70s... still is (maybe less from the llello these days). I come from a broken-down town in SC though... It wasn't even limping along... lol.. That K was like the first thing since the.... FIRST MCDONALDS!

Holy Crap things were different then...
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I recall driving thru SC from NE to Fla.. yeah.. it was wide open nothing from NC to SC, along I 95.

wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Even worse in the 70s.... Nada.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Early 70's. moved to Florida in 72..so 70-71 was the 1st trip.

aurak_merc ( 440 )
Resident Trader

Post by aurak_merc »

A little before my time, as far as I know. I never even visited a Toys R Us until I was 12 or so, since they were only in larger towns.
Always remember that your stuff is nearly worthless junk. The other person's items are highly valuable collectibles.

If I owe you a reference, please remind me.

I don't expect people to wait forever for an answer, and expect the same courtesy.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”