Looking for a console gaming system recomendation

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Looking for a console gaming system recomendation

Post by porkuslime »

OK.. I am highly out-of-touch, at least according to my kids..

My wife and I are contemplating ditching cable TV and living solely by Netflix ... and while I CAN buy a TV that is netbliss compatible, I dont want to have to buy a new TV

So..

I have a Tube TV from the late 80's that still works fine.. we have our Wii hooked into it, and while downstairs, can browse Netflix on it, using the Wii interface.

Upstairs in the bedroom is another TV, and we would like to make this Netflix enabled.. and are not sure the best (i.e. cheapest) way to do it

Since the Wii is our link downstairs, I figured we could use another Wii or a Xbox upstairs to do the same thing.

So.. do I want a cheap Xbox? Playstation? another Wii?

I do not even know the questions I should be asking!

I DO NOT CARE about playing hotness in gaming.. I want a cheapie method to access Netflix on the TV, instead of a laptop..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
Chadleh ( 126 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Looking for a console gaming system recomendation

Post by Chadleh »

Depending on your TVs capability, you could look into a roku if you don’t care or want to play any sort of video game. It most likely would cost less then a gaming system.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

If you do not have a HDMI connection on the current bedroom TV, TMK, you will need a new tv. I could not find a converter myself to make HDMI work on other input options.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Like they said above, it depends on which connections your tv has. I'm betting since it's a CRT, you have a coax/cable connection and an antenna/bi-pole connection.
Roku is cheap and will allow you to watch netflix. It also has a streaming service available.

ALSO since you're cutting the cable, IF you want local progamming, you'll have to get a digital convertor box. They run about $50, best but online and maybe even wallyworld or other marts.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

There are blu-ray players with netflix capabilities. I got one for the kids room. Was like 40 bucks or something.

Depends on how old "old" is, but it could work fine for what you need.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

If you don't care about games, check Apple TV, too. My wife and older daughter watch Netflix via that.

There is no monthly fee, and you can buy them used fairly cheaply on feebay.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I think the Roku one still had connections for older TVs. You might be able to use one of those. They definitely do netflix.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Doctari ( 504 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

Another wii might be your best bet. The original ones are dirt cheap on craigslist or if you posted a "want" link for trade with 40k I'm sure you could get one that way.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”