Sometimes Ebay is good.....

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Sometimes Ebay is good.....

Post by starslayer »

I love Bartertown, but it seems to only really shine when trading and sometimes selling GW stuff. Ive listed gaming materials and comics to only get a few low offers or none at all.

Some gaming material I was offered $60 for here, sold on Ebay for $260.
Comics I couldnt sell(or trade) here for $100, sold on Ebay for $550.($550!)
Books i offered here at $50 shipped, sold there for $81.
Even with fees I am way (waaayyyy) ahead.

So trading GW - yeah. Selling some things, not so much.

Anyone with similar experiences?
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Sometimes Ebay is good.....

Post by pretre »

It goes both ways. You can sell way up on some stuff and way under on others. The more you know about your market the closer you get to them being the same.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

[Moved to the appropriate forum]

Actually, SS, I think you're pretty accurate.
Bartertown has been, IMO, a place for trading and buying. It is not as good for the seller. As a general rule -and there are exception- the average BT member wants a BARGAIN if he's buying. While I do typically offer sales on BT first, I also ask what I expect to get on eBay with a slight discount to account for fees that I won't be paying to Feebay and FeePal.

Pretre makes a good point, but I really think it's got to be pretty freaking specialized to get what you want. Even some of the "big name" items that are highly desired can get scoffed at here, while it's gobbled up on the larger market.

Where I think BT is better for sellers, really, is in lower quality items. Got some tanks that you painted horribly when you first started the hobby? Tac squads with a few coats of paint on them? Assembled models missing important bits? Items that really need some TLC? You're more likely to get rid of them here for a price that won't make you cry than on Feebay, IMO. You might only get 25 to 30% of retail here but there, if they even sell, you're looking at pennies on the dollar.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Im not disrespecting BT, its great. But Ebay has a much much much bigger audience- so that can get higher prices. BT isnt for bidding, though some try. Im not a huge fan of Ebay after i got burned when they sided with someone who said models were recasts (and they were not). But if you get a high enough price, the fees dont matter. Example- $100 (i couldnt get here) got $550 on Ebay.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

I actually do better on crappy painted stuff on eBay than here. ;)

My point was more that the more you know the closer you can get to the right price. Whether it'll sell in there or here is a different matter. The problem with eBay is if you guess wrong, you're stuck with your low take.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

starslayer wrote:Im not disrespecting BT, its great. But Ebay has a much much much bigger audience- so that can get higher prices. BT isnt for bidding, though some try. Im not a huge fan of Ebay after i got burned when they sided with someone who said models were recasts (and they were not). But if you get a high enough price, the fees dont matter. Example- $100 (i couldnt get here) got $550 on Ebay.
I didn't take it as disrespect. I can't see how it would've been.
In fact, I'm agreeing with you... for selling, I ALWAYS presume anything I'm selling will end up on Feebay. I always try here first but, like I said, it's NOT a seller's market. Your example is a perfect example.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:I didn't take it as disrespect. I can't see how it would've been.
In fact, I'm agreeing with you... for selling, I ALWAYS presume anything I'm selling will end up on Feebay. I always try here first but, like I said, it's NOT a seller's market. Your example is a perfect example.

Eric
I dunno, I cycle through a lot of stuff and I only go to eBay if I am in a hurry. Otherwise, everything I have gets sold and traded through BT, Dakka or my local board (and now facebook, since I've started using that).

Although, annoyingly I got banned without explanation from the largest FB 40k group and can't find out why.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Probably your personality.
LOL

Eric

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

pretre wrote:[...]

Although, annoyingly I got banned without explanation from the largest FB 40k group and can't find out why.
lol I'm part of that group. You have to watch what you say unless you're a mod.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

3eland wrote:

Which group is this?
Don "MONDO"
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

don_mondo wrote:
3eland wrote:

Which group is this?
Warhammer 40k Buy Sale or Trade, I believe.

I checked with some folks, made a gallery, labeled all the pics with prices, etc and posted it. One mod approved my post. Then I got banned without notice.

I keep PM'ing mods to get back in and no one answers me. At this point, I just want to be able to see the group, not even post in it, but nope.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Oh, I thought you meant the other group with 31k+ members.

Might be that a mod thought you were a store. Stores/businesses/commissions are NOT allowed in that group.

Ryan
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

You break any of these?

*** EBAY links to private auctions are allowed.BUT must be a direct link to the items and you MUST NOT BE A STORE. No commission paint services or businesses are allowed to sell or advertise on this group.

You must post in the currency of your country. For example if you live in Canada, you must sell in Canadian dollars.

WE will keep this a friendly environment for everyone. if you don't like what someone has advertised, don't comment and DO NOT BASH ANYONE IF you have ANY issue contact an the admins....

Group rules:

Start all posts: WTB(wanting to buy), WTS (wanting to sell) or WTT(wanting to trade)

All posts require pictures of all the items offered

All posters are required to list ALL items, items location and shipping limitations

One listing, one bump per day. Keep your posts consolidated

Keep all posts family friendly and containing NO illegal material

All rules will be followed 100% or post/person will be removed without warning

No harassing, argumentative, disruptive, trolling, combative and or fighting with members/admins

All transactions are between you and the other person or persons answering your post

No posts from other trade groups or links to other trade groups is allowed

No commissioned services/businesses are allowed to advertise to make trade posts

No non sale or trade related threads or comments allowed

No third party trading/messaging. Items must be yours and in your possession

Blocking of admins is prohibited. We cannot solve a problem if we can not talk to you

No buying/selling/trading or sharing of illegal materials(recasts or media)

Per PayPal’s T.O.S. the seller is responsible for ALL fees not the buyer

No auctions, this is a buy, sell, trade group, not an auction site or a value appraisal service

All items up for sale/trade must have a listed price in their description
~Ryan~

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

As far as I know, no. I specifically updated my post in response to a mod request immediately after I posted it and he said it was good.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

If anyone knows one of the admins, feel free to put in a good word for me. :)

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”