Death of Game Stores

Anything else.. come on in, and pull up a seat.

Moderator: Moderators

NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Re: Death of Game Stores

Post by NuWishA »

This was last replied to in 2013.. :D
kalamire ( 154 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by kalamire »

Not anymore :)
Lower rating you trade first.
If I have the higher rating and I'm buying you still ship 1st. 9 year member no negative feedback if you can't trust that, then I can't buy from you.
Offers stand for 48 hours after that if no communication has passed all trades are null and void.
Doctari ( 506 )
Resident Trader

Post by Doctari »

That's a lot of the problem with the B&Ms right now. They are so used to being the only game in town that adjusting to the new paradigm of "I can get my nerd *edit* online, save money and don't have to be offended by the comic book guy from the simpsons" is beyond their ability. Where I come from the Rusty Scabbard used to be like.. nerd famous (if that's a thing) now I can't imagine going there and spending money. I'd much rather buy aftermarket.
If we're trading: Lower ships first, even if its me.
If I'm buying: If you have a REASONABLE (>20) rating with no negatives, I'm paying first.
If I'm selling: You're paying first.
I always check Ebay before making/accepting offers. You should to. Fair market value >>>> "I feel they are worth X"

Offers good for 24hrs.

Well, well, well. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Yep. 3 game stores in my area that I've been to. Used to be 4 but one couldn't get its head out of exclusivity/cliques/no big effort to support play. The others are all much more friendly, and still in business.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

There are 2 stores I frequent the most (and that isn't that often) and 1 store I travel too if I have the time.

Store A is about 30-35 minutes away. Has a very clean and friendly atmosphere. Great people and lots of stock. Except the abundance of stock it has does not include Warhammer or Privateer Press. They have a little, but not enough to make it worth the trip unless you call ahead of time and order something. They offer 10% off most things though so if I ever want a board game (this they have A LOT of stock in) then I will go. They have an abundance of paints though so it is the main reason I venture in. The only playing space is dedicated to board games and MtG players. No luck what so ever in getting a game in.

Store B is about 45 minutes away. Has a very dirty store (like dust on everything, the owner is very greasy, etc) and has a semi-friendly atmosphere. Semi because the owner is super nice and remembers your name/who you are but the other people who frequent it are not friendly at all including the helping staff. This store has more comics and MtG than Warhammer but they still have a much larger stock than store A. They can also get anything in (like anything) within two days so if you call ahead you know it will be there. They don't offer much of a discount but it is still better than full retail. Again, the only table space is dedicated to MtG, and that is it. I usually only go into this store if I order something ahead of time.

Store C is 1.5 hours away. It is huge. Has an abundance of stock in anything nerdy you could ever imagine. They have HUGE discounts on everything. It is literally like a child walking into a candy store there. You will unload hundreds of dollars on stuff without getting through 1 of their 7 or so isles (these isles are incredibly long and packed to the ceiling). It is by far the best place to buy anything. EVER. But. It is 1.5 hours away (so 3 hour trip) and it is not often I can just throw a day away to just drive down. They are pure stock store so no tables at all.

That being said, I do a lot of my shopping online. None of the stores have an online cart system and so I go elsewhere. Why? Because it is easier for me to sit at a computer and use a shopping cart system and then have my goods shipped to me than it is for me to spend the gas money and time to go to the store and hope something is there (minus store C because they have everything). That and I can usually get a lot better discount too!

If they offered gaming space then perhaps I could go in once a week but because they do not cater to that part of the hobby there is nothing pushing me into their doors.

From my understanding, stores have more luck with MtG and board games/role playing games than tabletop games now. It is just too much of a hassle and too much required space to support the hobby. Not to mention the prices. A pack of MtG is A LOT cheaper than a single blister with 1 guy. I asked both store A and B's owners why they didn't cater to the wargaming hobby and they said it required too much time, too much money and then you had to put trust in random people that they wouldn't steal things, break things or cause commotion in general. I follow a gaming store in Toronto that I love to frequent when I visit a friend. They just released a notice saying they had to shut down their gaming spaces due to theft. Like how low can a person go when they are stealing things from the place that gives you free tables to play on.

So the death of game stores, I feel, is the hobby itself. It works for stores that cater to one direct thing and then has side stock (MtG being the biggest thing). But unless you are a well established hobby store with a good environment, great stock and friendly service, you won't be in business very long. Not to mention the hobbyists are dicks. Not all, so don't think I am targeting everyone or anyone in particular, but you will always find "that guy" who is such a dick that it puts off others (especially random, potential customers).

That's what I have found any way. i live in cow country though so it can be different in the city.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

3eland wrote:gaming space
And this is a ton of it for me. Deals are better online. So, if a gaming store is going to provide a good atmosphere and some form of organized play, I consider that worth an extra couple bucks every time I buy something there. I tend to buy used for big stuff anyway, but gaming stores aren't charities so if they're not providing a service more than an online store (which could just be a very nice attitude and convenience, though isn't in the cases of where I frequent), there's nothing keeping me loyal.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
skuller ( 314 )
Bartertown's Bob Ross

Post by skuller »

Live in Austin Texas, and yes in the past a few of the stores have come and go but the gamers community is growing in this area, we went from having 2-3 stores that carried GW and related products to around 6-7 and even the opening of a GW store in the area, I think this will depend on the each area.
No international trades (not including Canada)
BTR rules
lower rates ship first
---------
Hail Hydra!!!
tomcox7 ( 28 )
Trade Novice

Post by tomcox7 »

Interesting thoughts. The Internet has definitely shook up brick and mortars. My FLGS sells comics, magic, hero clip and GW and PP. They keep their stock up to date. But their main money makers are Magic and comics. We have three dedicated mini tables that they convert to rpg and other tables as needed.

After reading several articles online I know board games are seeing a large resurgence in the U.S. This helps shops. The shop is attempting to organize hobby nights.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that these are small businesses. Every small business runs different. The death of many game stores has to do with mismanagement. Owners sticking what they love rather then ones that are popular or sell well. Also a lack of creative marketing and lower profit margin due to their lease.

Just like any other business it has to deal with management and marketing and running quality fun events.

Tom
Fluttershy ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Fluttershy »

The only store to close where I live was GW some years ago.
There's been a few stores opening from what I've seen, though these seem more in line with card games and less with miniature games, though they do sell them (though rarer and rarer do they carry GW stuff, not that I mind, I'm trying to get rid of my leftover stuff...not easy when it's niece nonsense like spider riders and old ass dwarves lol)

Return to “Bartertown Cafe and Coffee”