Looking for ideas for 1980's Kung Fu movie adventure

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Looking for ideas for 1980's Kung Fu movie adventure

Post by kturock »

I'm working on designing an adventure for an upcoming convention. I want it to be based in the 1980's Kung Fu movies genre.

I just saw Big Trouble in Little China at the FLGS and it got me thinking.
Now I'm blocked on ideas.

Suggestions?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Looking for ideas for 1980's Kung Fu movie adventure

Post by MagickalMemories »

BT in LC *IS* the best Kung Fu movie adventure.

What about the movie The Warriors? With a little bit of tweaking, that could easily be made into a Kung Fu adventure.

What kind of rule set are you looking at?

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

MagickalMemories wrote:BT in LC *IS* the best Kung Fu movie adventure.

What about the movie The Warriors? With a little bit of tweaking, that could easily be made into a Kung Fu adventure.

What kind of rule set are you looking at?

Eric

Warriors was the 70's... and not really kung fu.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Here's the list.

The Ultimate Ninja, Sho Kusugi. He was in, or worked on, every ninja movie in the 80's.
The Ultimate Kung Fu fighter, Jackie Chan. He was in, or worked on, almost every kung fu movie in the 80's. [and later]
Chuck Norris, one of the 1st 'serious' martial artists in the 80's. He was in a lot of movies and still today has sayings based on it.
Steven Segal, right behind Norris for 2nd place. A different 'style', Aikido & Kendo vs Tae Quan Do, than Norris.
Cynthia Rothrock, one of the 1st non-Asian, female, 'serious', martial arts actors. She's still in MA movies or working on them.
Wesley Snipes, one of the 1st African American, 'serious', martial arts actors. He's still serious about his MA training. Maybe more than his movies.
Jean Claude VanDamme. A non-American that made a big name in the 80's for his martial arts movies. He learned MA to become an action hero.
Kurt Russell. I mediocre martial artist, but his character is iconic. A non-fighter in a martial arts movie.

Pretty much if you say martial arts or kung fu movie from the 80's, the above names will stand out.

The adventure will be in the spirit of all of their movies, but hopefully won't be too much like any one.

Here are a couple more characters. Not main or player characters, but iconic still.

Bolo Yeung. A henchmen.. starts off as a villian or neutral. Depending on how the PC's treat him on how he reacts.
His special power, just a strong Brick/tank.

Ernie Reyes Jr. sidekick kid.

Lee Van Cleef. The Master.. NPC who gives advice, challenge or help.. Haven't worked it out yet.

Billy Blanks... Yes the TaeBo guy. He was a MA actor in the 80's.. and actually Wesley Snipes was in the 90's...SO changes might be coming.. WS might stay in and have some form of supernatural power.

Scenario title...?? The Above the Law, Bloodsport, Rumble in Little Bronx China's Octagon.

80's Martial Arts Mixup.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Check out jet li's Chinese movies. I have them all and they are good. I'm talking his original stuff though.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

3eland wrote:Check out jet li's Chinese movies. I have them all and they are good. I'm talking his original stuff though.
But most of them are more reminiscent of the 70's kung fu theater.

When I say 80's kung fu movies.. those actors and films are the top named.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Oh I thought you meant the settings.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

There's always The Last Dragon, think that fits in that camp sensibility.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

spiralingcadaver wrote:There's always The Last Dragon, think that fits in that camp sensibility.
I've had a couple people suggest it..It's an iconic movie, but ...I don't know if it's as well known as the rest.

I talked to a guy I work with, and asked him who he watched growing up and he said that character, but he couldn't remember is name. He had to look it up online. BTW the guy asked is black. He said the character was big in the black communities, even the girls liked him because of his looks. He asked on of our bosses, a black female, and she couldn't recall the characters name, the name of the movie, the actors name, but she remembered how the actor looked.

I'll probably work him up also...Just to figure out what to have as his skill and moves.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Well, if you're going to include Bruce Leroy, you might consider having Sho Nuff (The Shogun of Harlem) as one of the main bad guys, or the villain's lieutenant or something.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Every hero will have his main villain.

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”