D&D terrain

Role Playing Game discussion area.

Moderator: Moderators

EVIL INC ( 42 )
Resident Trader

D&D terrain

Post by EVIL INC »

Ok. Recently got back into D&D after a while of being out of the picture. jumping into 5th edition coming from a 1st,2nd edition background with only a couple sessions of 4th ed. I'm liking the new prepainted plastic models although I do mix in warhammer fantasy models cause I like the looks of many of them.
Anywayssss... I digress. Just sent in an order for terrain molds and have posted on here looking for some as well. I plan to build some stuff because I honestly really like the use of models to visually display placement and coming from a 40k background, of course I like the surroundings to look good. How many use miniatures for this and how many go the extra mile for terrain? If you do, how far do you take it? Like in an inn with table and bar or fire place placement? Do you do bottles and mugs for visual appeal?
Asking because I will want to go whole hog with my inn although a lot of the little extras will just be glued onto the tables and all. But will likely be talking to other local D&D groups and see if they would want to buy stuff for their games in order to help fund a future purchase and am looking for an idea of how much of the extras I should do.
Treat other members with the same dignity, respect and honesty you would like to be treated with.
Lord Cedric ( 292 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: D&D terrain

Post by Lord Cedric »

I love Master Maze by Dwarven Forge. While seemingly expensive, they are very high quality and most are prepainted.

- Robert

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Army's Collected:

Bretonnia (6000+), Dwarfs (4000+), High Elves (12,000+), Dark Elves (4000+), Wood Elves (4500+), Skaven (5000+), Orcs & Goblins (6000+), Empire (4000+), Ogre Kingdoms (4000+), Lizardmen (6000+), Vampire Counts (4000+), Tomb Kings (4000+), Chaos Warriors (4000+), Daemons (4000+), Beastmen (4000+)

"....And yes! I play them all too." :-D
Linrandir ( 108 )
Site Admin

Post by Linrandir »

I guess it depends how much time you have to set stuff up beforehand. DwarvenForge is *amazing* if you have little to no time, but there are less expensive options out there like Hirst Arts molds (of which I have many). The thing I like about Hirst is that you can build whatever you want, you're not limited to whatever DwarvenForge puts out...or what you can afford from the batsh!t AMAZING stuff they sell. :-)
New to Bartertown?
Read These Now!
Got ripped off?
Read This First!

Administrative Transparency: Anything you write me can and will be made public should I deem it necessary. Anything I write to you? Same deal. Fair is fair.

My Official Admin Messages have the :rulez: icon in front.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

It also depends on how much you and your group role plays vs minis games roll playing.
I've run entire sessions using nothing but dice and stray items to represent things in games and used visualization and description to give the areas and setting.

When you start playing minis games, everything becomes a minis game. It's more about tactics than story. Players spend more time trying to line up the shot or hit, than describing how they swung.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Mage Knight used to have some Dungeons stuff that was pretty cool. It was plastic wall and floor sections you could put together and make dungeons out of. Typically goes for a pretty penny, though.

As for your specific issue... Before looking to sell stuff locally that you make from Hirst Arts molds... make your own first. Make a lot of it... or, at least, as much as you can stand to.
You might find, as I did, that it's a horrible process and you could not possibly hate it more. The last thing you want to do is get yourself a few orders for stuff, only to find that you'd rather pluck out your own fingernails than cast "MORE OF THESE STUPID FREAKING BLOCKS!"

Then again, who knows? You may actually end up as one of those guys who totally loves it.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “The Storyteller's Stage”