Dystopian wars?

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Dystopian wars?

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Hi, I'm getting interested in the game, partially to expand my painting repertoire, partially because the setting is compelling.

However, I've only ever played 28-32mm games (mostly skirmish games of various sorts and 40k), so I'm wondering what the game is like, particularly what its pros and cons are, and if there are any of the bigger games you could compare it to.

Thanks,
~Nick
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
Grindar ( 116 )
Journeyman Trader

Re: Dystopian wars?

Post by Grindar »

Well, each ship has a stat card, which gives its essential stats, being the various weaponry, hull and movement stats, etc. Spartan uses a system referred to as exploding 6s and range bands...range bands are 8". so if you're 12" away, you're range band 2. which referring to my stat card, means my turret rolls 6 dice to shoot at you...and what the heck, I'll link in my other primary turret that has line of sight, adding half it's dice to make 9 (sacrificing the second shot for a better chance of damage with the first). roll the dice, looking for 4s,5s, and 6s...especially 6s, because they count as 2 hits and then you roll another die.

Each class of ship has turn templates that show how quickly they turn...a battleship can't cut as tight a turn as a cruiser. There are modifiers for cover, flying, underwater, etc. It's pretty intuitive once you start playing, really...we hardly ever have to refer to the rulebook except when looking up a weird generator or a special rule for a model.

there's no real other game to compare it to, except uncharted seas and firestorm armada, at least not currently in the market.

Holler if you have some more specific questions...I'm loving this game so much I've got 2 fleets now :D
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

I am diving into this game, some of the local club want to try, so we are all getting a fleet to give it a whirl. The ships are.. BEYOND beautiful. Resin with very low flash...

I recently picked up the Coventant of Antartica from a member here, and damn... the Battleship is about the size of my palm..

can't help you on rules yet, because we haven't played.. but the rulebook is full of acronyms.. it is a little confusing. Evidently Spartan has a good Quick Play sheet on their website which will help..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
deguello ( 10 )
Trade Novice

Post by deguello »

Not a whole lot of depth in the Game Nick.
It is a beer and pretzels game and it is fun to play. Models are great. I have only had one bad cast out of abot 50 models and that was just a little lip where the resin was poured into the mold. It was significant but not insurmountable job of removing it. The setting is A+ and if steam punk needed a roleplaying setting this would be excellent.

On the downside. There are two things I do not like about the game. Balance/Lack of models Not all the models for all the factions are available yet, so not everyone is good at the same thing Also some nations have fleets with no counter in the opposing fleet. This will be fixed over time, I am confident. The other thing is tiny flyers, the rules there slow down the game too much for my liking, they just do not add enough under the currently rules to warrant the tracking of fuel, etc. Games don't last long enough for them to make multiple attacks etc.

Its a good game with good minis at a really good price. I predict they will be around for a long while

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”