Kings of War; anyone playing?

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Kings of War; anyone playing?

Post by imp522 »

Has anyone played Kings of War from Mantic games? The rules are free http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/Gaming.html . I've downloaded them and read them but haven't had a chance to play. Anyone have thought's opinions on it?

One thing the jumped out at me was the fact that there is no casualty removal. Units are either steady, wavering or routed. Kind of a neat idea I think. Of course I also think it would be really neat to see the game played in say 15mm or 6mm. That would be quite the sight with the number of figures you could put on the unit base size.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Re: Kings of War; anyone playing?

Post by themailedfist »

I have been tempted to play. I like Warhammer 8th but I'm sort of disturbed at how insane Magic can impact the game now.

Plus the release of the Mantic Kaos Dwarves....very tempted indeed.

--Robert
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

The Kaos Dwarfs are looking very sweet. I already picked up an army of the undead and elfs so I'm torn if I should get those painted or get a pre order in before the price raise.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

It's strange but their US pricing seems a lot better than the flat pounds sterling to dollars conversion would normally allow. So getting stuff domestically is a lot better deal than getting from them directly - so UNLIKE GW in that regard. (Forge World, I'm looking at YOU here)

--Robert
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

I am TRYING to finish up a Undead, and Dwarf.. and a Elf army to give it a try (darn opd).

The rules seem simple enough to get my 9 year old proto-goth girl into playing, but no one else locally has expressed an interest. My FLGS doesn't have Mantic in stock, so I am trying to proxy with GW and the occasional Mantic box off the net.

I know I can proxy the game with cut-out cardboard squares with writing, but that looses something for me..
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
meat.is.good ( 48 )
Trade Novice

Post by meat.is.good »

My local group had one run through with the game, and it takes a lot of the complexity and rules arguing out of this scale of game. I really dig the Nerve mechanic and how it really controls the fight that's happening as well as allowing for units to be either alive or dead rather than the 1 wound for 1 model like GW's system along with the fleeing units that occasionally make it back onto the board....

The ruleset is basic, the lists are basic, and the game, for it's size, plays pretty quickly. I think it's biggest drawback is that there aren't 10+ armies to choose from right now, but that's not to say that it won't change in the future. I'm intending to support them by buying their khaos dwarves next year to try and help keep this company going, hopefully the interest grows and allows them to keep selling more miniatures and ultimately, expand their ruleset. I hope over the coming years, they do give GW a run for their money, which will either have GW respond with better rulesets / pricing schemes. It could be helpful to have two top tier companies competing for similar business since GW is more or less the only team in the league currently.
basaint ( 184 )
Resident Trader

Post by basaint »

I picked up their undead army and a small Elven army. I really like their Zoms and Skeletons: The skels seem to look more skelley than the GW ones (Imo) and their Zoms offer a lot of conversionality --is that a word? :). Overall great looking minis. I think we're planning on trying out the rules by the end of the month.

One site on ebay actually has them cheaper than Mantic as Fist pointed out
meat.is.good ( 48 )
Trade Novice

Post by meat.is.good »

I got another chance to play this game again. And I think what stands out the most for me is that the game is casual and yet involves all the fun components that I enjoy in warhammer. Seems to me like a good trade off, even though, in the end I'll play both still.
sdafforn71 ( 516 )
Resident Trader

Post by sdafforn71 »

How do the Minis look and do they go together pretty easy? I am thinking of picking up some dwarves.
If you have something similar you can always check to see if I am interested.
Shipping from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Lower Rating ships first. Trading is retail for retail. Small trades or large trades welcome.
Thanks for looking.
shane
aruki ( 4 )
Trade Novice

Post by aruki »

If you want to try something cool try http://forum.manticblog.com/showthread. ... -to-1700AD
. I am foaming at the mouth to see how historical armies work with the rule set. I will post some pics later of some of the dwarfs I have. They are pretty simple to put together and depending on the race you pick not bad looking. I'm personally not a fan of the elves they just seem a bit to thin in my opinion but the rest of the models I like.
guidelines- Lower rated ships first on trades unless we have dealt with each other before and agree. Sales- If I am buying from you I will pay and you then ship irregardless of rating. If you are buying from me you pay and then I will ship regardless of rating.
http://aruki-40kgruntlove.blogspot.kr/
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Wow.
Threadomantastic! LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
aruki ( 4 )
Trade Novice

Post by aruki »

Here is a link to some ironwatch sprue photos. Will post assembled pics once I build some.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1033544613 ... directlink

enjoy
aruki
Last edited by aruki on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
guidelines- Lower rated ships first on trades unless we have dealt with each other before and agree. Sales- If I am buying from you I will pay and you then ship irregardless of rating. If you are buying from me you pay and then I will ship regardless of rating.
sdafforn71 ( 516 )
Resident Trader

Post by sdafforn71 »

Cool. Thanks
If you have something similar you can always check to see if I am interested.
Shipping from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Lower Rating ships first. Trading is retail for retail. Small trades or large trades welcome.
Thanks for looking.
shane
aruki ( 4 )
Trade Novice

Post by aruki »

I have posted some pics of an ironguard sprue, cannon and a crew member that is assembled.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1033544613 ... directlink
KingArthur ( 226 )
Resident Trader

Post by KingArthur »

I've put together a TON of mantic, my friend kept buying them, and I have to give them a little bit of a ding. They models look good, but they tend to go together a little rough, especially the dwarfs that have a belly gap. I have a lot of the undead and both zombies and ghouls do not rank up well and they are all reaching like they are trying out for a thriller video. : /

I do like the way KoW reads though and I think it would be fun although frankly I'd multi-base whole units since you don't remove individual models.
No one saw that.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”