GW fallout to Privateer Press fun!

Talk about any non-GW Fantasy, Steampunk or similar miniature game here.

Moderator: Moderators

gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Re: GW fallout to Privateer Press fun!

Post by gardenninja »

You know, locally we have a cool little following for Malifaux. The game is lots of fun, and super cheap to get into (it really never scales up from a small skirmish game- about Mordheim or Necromunda level). It's a good game, and I'd recommend it to anyone (even if you're already very invested in another game- the Malifaux buy in is cheaper than Warmachine).

The thing is, one of our local games stores pretty much refuses to acknowledge that any of this is happening and won't stock the game. It's pretty dumb, since that forces everyone who plays to buy online or go to another store (which in turn makes the LGS people unhappy with us, and with the game).
HarlequinZero ( 218 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by HarlequinZero »

gardenninja wrote:You know, locally we have a cool little following for Malifaux. The game is lots of fun, and super cheap to get into (it really never scales up from a small skirmish game- about Mordheim or Necromunda level). It's a good game, and I'd recommend it to anyone (even if you're already very invested in another game- the Malifaux buy in is cheaper than Warmachine).

The thing is, one of our local games stores pretty much refuses to acknowledge that any of this is happening and won't stock the game. It's pretty dumb, since that forces everyone who plays to buy online or go to another store (which in turn makes the LGS people unhappy with us, and with the game).
I've seen store owners do this in the past. Either they don't want the hassle of stocking a new line and think their customers should stick solely with what's already on offer or the owner doesn't like the game and thinks no one else should either. I've come to the conclusion that some LGS owners have a sort of super nerd complex and see their customers as lesser nerds who should follow their glorious leader/store owner in all things nerdy. Not all store owners are like this, but I've seen more than a few.

Buuut, back to the original question, I never really gave up GW for PP. I mostly paint so I take games where I can get them regardless of system. If I had to pick one system/range that's earned my attention that would be Infinity. The models are gorgeous and the rules are great fun, but brutally unforgiving. You need to plan your turns very well or you're going to get your backside handed to you.
Brain wrote:The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

We have seen a few go over to WarmaHorads. They all still play GW games still as well. I personally am a veteran 40K WFB player and learning another game system in that much detail is not something that i am looking forward to. I do like W/H and it is a lot different than WFB and 40K but I find being a newb again and getting my butt kicked game after game is discouraging.
nightspawn ( 606 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightspawn »

Same experience here getting butt kicked , the reason behind that is whfb and 40k handicaps the player being used to the rules and all tactics. I am still so used to the attrition style of killing whereas the main objective is kill the warlock/warcaster teh quickest way possible .Warmahorde armies each have their own distinct cheese and reading their armybooks is not going to cut it have to play each and every army, in our community its known it takes 15 consistent games atleast on different armies to get the hang of it. Dont worry Norseman keep playing those games you will eventually get to their level of playing.

Norseman wrote:We have seen a few go over to WarmaHorads. They all still play GW games still as well. I personally am a veteran 40K WFB player and learning another game system in that much detail is not something that i am looking forward to. I do like W/H and it is a lot different than WFB and 40K but I find being a newb again and getting my butt kicked game after game is discouraging.
Im now a WarmaHordes Freak!!!: 100pts. Cryx, 70pts. Legions of Everblight ,50pts. Skorne only 4 armies left for GW, 2.5K IG , 3K Empire, 3K Demons of Khorne.
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Post by gardenninja »

Fifteen games seems like more than you'd need to play.

I find that the core rules for Warmachine are actually simpler than 40k or WFB, but then Privateer Press took the cards at the table model to mean that they could make the individual unit rules pretty complex. If you're new, it is best if you play against people who are pleasant about things (ones that will still kill you, but who also want to help you get better). Before you start up the game, ask your opponent what his army does and why you should be afraid of any units you haven't seen before.
HarlequinZero wrote:If I had to pick one system/range that's earned my attention that would be Infinity. The models are gorgeous and the rules are great fun, but brutally unforgiving. You need to plan your turns very well or you're going to get your backside handed to you.
I've painted up some Infinity miniatures here and there, but there has been absolutely no local support for them. Honestly, I'm not sure if they're even stocked through Alliance.

The rules looked to me a little bit like a tabletop version of Gears of War (ie. hug the cover or you're dead, and try to flank your opponents). But then again, I haven't been able to play it yet, so I don't really know.
Ironwarriors83 ( 906 )
Expert Trader

Post by Ironwarriors83 »

I played GW since 1989. Stopped as soon as i played my first warmachine game in Mk1 about 4 years ago. Sold all my gw and haven't looked back since :D.
Lower Rating? You ship first unless we agree otherwise regardless whether it's a sale or trade of miniatures. Feedback is there for a reason. This ISN'T Ebay, your Ebay Refs DON'T matter here, this is Bartertown! If your feedback is significantly lower, I expect you to ship first, even if I'm buying- Money carries greater risks than minis: I can't buy groceries with a box of Tac Marines! Offers are good for 24 Hours, otherwise void.

Feedback owed to me by: valthonis
Gorak ( 38 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Gorak »

well I jumped ship from 40k and fanatsy to warmahordes and then back, I find both games have their issues and there is alot more 40k players in my area and I like the tourney scene so with that in mind I've gone full bore again. I will still play warmahordes just not competitively, more for the painting ahh cryxs why are you so beautiful?
A bastard's work is never done
Brother Ranz ( 220 )
Resident Trader

Post by Brother Ranz »

I started with WFB back in the late 80's early 90's. I got into 40K when it came out here in the States. I played them a lot but realized early on that each edition was "streamlined" which actually meant "dumbed-down" to the point that the newer were on balance, not as good as the old. Codex Creep is a huge issue as well. When Clan War came out, i jumped on that. I also got into warzone/Chronopia. I played Confrontation as well until they made the suicidal move to pre-paints and crappy rules. Warmachine is the only one that works on a fun level as well as on a competitive level. Privateer also does not place the blame for OP units or combos on "cheesy" players. The rules people at Privateer own the bad as well as the good. While first edition was great, MKII is actually an improvement over the previous edition. That never happens with GW. another important difference is that PP develops and tests all army books together and then releases them rapidly after the MKII ruleset. GW does no such thing. The better player or the player who plays the best that game, usually wins in WM/Hordes. I find that to be somewhat true of GW games as well, but to a much lesser extent. One of the reasons I got out of the retail gameshop business is that I could no longer in good faith, support 40K and certainly not Warhammer 8th, which I call "Candyland."

If you have not tried Warmachine, do so. It is easy enough to find a demo and there is a large enough player base to make it worth your while. The game also scales from a handful of models to 100 very well. The fluff has only been around for a decade, but it is good and i am pretty much over the nostalgic pang I sometimes get for the Olde Worlde and the Imperium of the 41st Millennium.
guszoks ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by guszoks »

Switched a few years back and am loving it. Sometimes its hard to find players but the fast pace of the game makes getting multiple games in a breeze.
<Space reserved something really awesome and witty>
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

That's a bit of a thread necromancy there. Isn't it, Gus? LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Forsaken Poptart ( 578 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Forsaken Poptart »

Gus, are you still in Annapolis? If so, there's no shortage of opponents in the area. In fact, you might be in the middle of one of the most active Warmachine communities in the world. Drop me a PM and let's chat!
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.

Return to “Swords, Sorcery and Steampunk”