Looking for Eldar tips

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

IYANDEN_WRAITHLORD ( 14 )
Journeyman Trader

Looking for Eldar tips

Post by IYANDEN_WRAITHLORD »

Hey gang. After a 14 year haitus, I've finally decided to assemble another Eldar army. This is pretty general, but looking for some advice in 1000/1500/2000 point games that include wraithlords/wraithguard and possibly wave serpents. Do you find psyker to be of massive benefit? Quality over quantity? (silly question with Eldar I guess..)

I'm not entirely sure what I'll be up against most, but a friend is building a heavy catachan army that I'll likely be seeing alot of. Just looking for some generic do's and don'ts, because last I played (4th edition) I very much was capable of rolling over most things with relative ease.. Just need to know if my tactics need to change drastically with these newer rule sets..
I'll be going over a bunch of the rules in the near future, but as of right now I'm quite blind as to what I'm getting into, and would like to keep my army relatively small this time around.
Also, great to see a couple familiar usernames (mostly moderators!)
Thanks for your time!
Think for yourself, question Authority.
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Re: Looking for Eldar tips

Post by wsott1970 »

My Eldar army has been sitting for ages... It has always felt very glass cannon to me... I am actually bringing myself around to selling it... Just has never been my style...

Competitive Eldar Armies seem to be more Dark Eldar/Death Jesters + Various Harlequins...

I think this is probably what I would play (because it still retains an Eldar feel to it and it is still competitive)...
Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 2.03.01 AM.png
My 2 cents...

Thanks,
Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Journeyman Trader

Thanks for the list!
I have been hearing alot of good bout dark reapers firing from cover and being able to not be shot at on ground floors of buildings or something like that, like a jack in the box of death.. Though I imagine having a wave serpent as transport would leave them open in alot of cases.. By chance are you allowed to pick up different squads with a transport yet?
I used to play my transport squads of wraithguard with a wraithlords and avatar soaking up fire, but with all these new rules I'm not sure how reliable that will be anymore. I imagine this psyker phase to be a great opportunity to let various Eldar units shine.
I have been thinking about a harlequin army as well, as back in 4th edition days they had already come and gone, nice to see a resurgence of them. I really want to avoid another 10k point army, as the paint backlog made me weep, and my wife would surely not appreciate them as I did ;)
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

You have ever so many wave serpents in that list you will have no problem moving things, it remember that the guns in them are for trashing piles of troops... magnetize then for other weapons.

There are a lot of good lists but I feel that one is strong while maintaining the spirit or Eldar, actually a pretty cheap army, and you should have models you can reuse to make it.

No transports don’t work the same anymore.

I can’t expand out into dark Eldar armies and Harlequins... it those are the best lists... they just don’t feel very Eldar to me... If anything Dark Eldar...
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

1 of the recent white Dwarf mags; January 2019, has DEldar/Eldaar/Harlies vs Marines/Titans/guard. 2 guys who played in the UK/Europe championships. Point is, that's what was used. All fliers for the Eldar.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

Yeah, the flyer tricks are crazy... I agree that there are a lot of better armies... but he won't have the gear for it (being an older eldar player)... The DE/E/H lists are very strong.

He doesn't sound like he is trying to build a monster list so much as re-use what he can (and still be at least competitive and that list didn't do badly in LVO at all it is what a top 15 list or something). No small task considering who was playing there.
Journeyman Trader

Most of my stuff was sold, but I've been buying up alot of wraith units, already I've gotta be pushing 2500pts in models, going off 4th edition allocations.

I have a Pheonix flyer still, and was looking at the Hemlock Wraithfighters for the future.. not sure how playable they are in smaller battles though.

I'll already have hawks, banshees, 30+ guardians w weapon platforms and a heavy platform or two to compliment a retinue of warlocks/farseers, 20 wraithguard, 4 wraithlords and 3 wave serpents. I'll probably need to round out my force with some reapers and maybe a few bikes, but already pushing my limits on what I wanted to accumulate ;)
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

IYANDEN_WRAITHLORD wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:28 pm
I have a Pheonix flyer still...
Well, I'd sure as Hell HOPE so!
LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

NExt months white dwarf will have the Ynari codex supplement in it. IF your a tournament player Ynari is the sweet sauce. The "soulburst" mechanic is very "broken" this will hopefully be corrected in the next white dwarf but yeah, basic concept when something dies within 7" of one of your units you can either move,shoot or fight again..
Regardless of how competitive you are a farseer and warlock council are always good . Doom, guide, jinx, mandatory powers.
IF your facing guard dire avengers or even normal guardians are fun wiping guardsmen off the table.
Most tournament list run 2 squads of shining spears with Ynari, concept, move , shoot away whatever screen is blocking a key unit, charge and kill key unit, soulburst and move back to your line for safety. Repeat. Super annoying, super eldar thing to do.
sincerely,

Matt
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I hope to see a little more eldar looking eldar armies... Really kind of on the fence about dropping my entire Eldar army (been with me for ages)... I just don't like the concept of DE with some few eldar items...

IG half and half something else imperium... or chaos 50-50 demon/chaos warriors... I get... but Xenos that don't like each other... big turn off.

Sean
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm not a fan of Eldar soup, either.
Really, the same goes for just about any codex mixing. I prefer to just play my armies out of a single book.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Journeyman Trader

MagickalMemories wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:52 pm
I'm not a fan of Eldar soup, either.
Really, the same goes for just about any codex mixing. I prefer to just play my armies out of a single book.

Eric
I'm old school that way, I'll make it as Iyanden themed as I can, with some colour variance. Judging by the small amount of rules I've read I can field an army as such too, so that's my plan.
wsott1970 ( 132 )
Resident Trader

Post by wsott1970 »

I like it Imperial/Chaos... but that is it... Marines w/ the lowly guard seems to click for me... or demons w/ Chaos Marines... but that DE/E/H thing makes no sense to me... or Tyranids with anything... or really any Xenos beside maybe Eldar and/or Tau...

... but hey... I never thought Dark Elves would be hanging with most anybody and they do (well what little seems to be left of them)...

So, maybe I am just wrong.

Sean
larks ( 444 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by larks »

Dont forget though that Harleyquinns work with both and in that way you can have a very distinct force and mix in some of the space clowns fora striking color variance. I have seen dark eldar main armies that use like a supreme command detachement of a warlock , warlock and far seer and model them in chains like they are slaves which is cool. Even with other soup armies, I love seeing guard with marines if they make it thematically fit. Somewhere on Dakka Dakka their is a post showcasing the PDF force in Ultramar and they look beautiful with like white uniforms and blue flakk armor to go along with their Ultramine allies.

Just remember its your story so if you can forge a good narrative you can make anything work . I mean whose to say prince yriel doesnt seek the help of a dark eldar heamoculus coven to help bring back his fallen craftworld ... oh whata dark bargain that might look like on the table
sincerely,

Matt
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

So I have been debating on whether or not to comment in this thread.

I play Eldar both at a friendly level as well as at a competitive level.

However, I am extremely opinionated - Eldar are one of my favourite armies and I've been playing them for a long time. That and this comment is going to take a lot of time and effort. But, here it is.

You don't need to soup up your army or take Ynnari for you to have a competitive mono-elf list. Does it help? Sure, Dark Eldar gives us a super cheap CP platform with great objective controlling units (Archons). Ynnari allows you some extra trickery with the soulburts (note that you can only soulburst on YOUR turn and only one soulburst action can be done per turn (so only one shoot, one charge, one move, etc)) and Harlequins adds great board controlling units that shred vehicles and infantry.

But you don't need them.

So let's look at the units and break them down:

Eldrad - Extremely potent Psyker. Auto-include if you run Ulthwe or Ynnari. Innate T4 and 3++ invul wth a 6+ FNP makes him an incredibly valuable unit. He can CP farm as well as ensure powers going off. He can only be taken on foot so needs the mobility of a Wave Serpent or to be with units of Guardians/Avengers/Storm Guardians. I don't take Eldrad very often because I do not take Ulthwe very often - I play Alaitoc competitively (as it is by far the most competitive choice) as well as Beil-Tan. Friendly games, I play Iyanden as my main pride and joy of the Eldar is the Wraiths. HOWEVER, if I WAS to play Ulthwe - Eldrad would be in every list no question.

Farseer - So you can take the Farseer on foot or bike. Both options are extremely viable and worth every point you put into them. Don't listen to people who say they are over-costed as they are not. If you are not running Ulthwe and taking Eldrad, you are taking at minimum 1 Farseer. This applies to both friendly games as well as competitive. Their selection of spells are far too good not to leave out and their ruleset is potent for ruling the Psyker phase. T3/5 wounds on foot and T4/6 wounds on a bike with a 4++ invul. They have a stratagem that allows a unit within 6" of them to intercept a unit from reserve without a range qualifier or negative to hit - with the only caveat being the Farseer needs to be able to see the unit that came in. Therefore, a Farseer that is back supporting a Dark Reaper squad, can potentially intercept a unit from 48" away. There is no equal in terms of how valuable that is.

Branching quickly into the Runes of Fate powers -
Guide - Allows you to re-roll failed hit rolls for ranged weapons. This increases our ranged threat exponentially. Reaper squads re-rolling to hit, Wraiths, Guardians, etc. Obviously not so good in a melee-centric list, but as Eldar do very well at shooting, this is a great power to have. This works on overwatch. Note you do not need line of sight to cast it.

Doom - Allows you to re-roll failed wound rolls on a target unit until your next Psychic phase. This is for every phase and for every weapon. This also includes non-Eldar units! You simply re-roll to wound against the target unit. This is an incredibly potent spell that is borderline auto-take (if you ave a Farseer on bike, you can use its range and mobility to get it off on juicy targets). Note you do not need line of sight to cast it.

Fortune - Gives a unit a 5+ FNP. Pretty straightforward.

Executioner - The nearest enemy unit within 18" takes d3 mortal wounds. If at least 1 model dies, the unit takes another d3 mortal wounds. It's a glorified Smite.

Will of Asuryan - Gives the Farseer a 6" bubble that allows all units within (only one model in the unit has to be within 6") to automatically pass morale. it also adds +1 to any Deny the Witch rolls. This is a great spell if the Farseer is supporting units. The +1 to Deny is simply an extra bonus.

Mind War - Choose an enemy character within 18" and roll off, adding your respective LD values. if the enemy's result is higher or if the two are tied - nothing happens. If your result is higher, the enemy character takes mortal wounds equal to the difference. This spell is super situational. If you know you're going to face low LD characters - sure. But overall the worst of the bunch.
***As you can see, these powers are extremely good.***

Warlocks - Warlocks can be taken in 4 different ways. On foot by themselves, on bike by themselves, on foot as a group and on bike as a group. Conclaves (groups) are, imo, not worth the effort or points. They have the least return for their value. Conclaves also lose the Character keyword and so can be targeted normally. I really see no benefit in taking one (a conclave) - as their bonus to smite is barely good. By themselves though, they are a great cheap Psyker unit if you don't have the points for a Spiritseer or if you are purposely shaving points to fit something else. They have a 4++ invul but only 2 wounds (3 on a bike). they have access to Runes of Battle powers (they cannot take Runes of fate).

Spiritseer - A better Warlock. For a couple more points, you get a 4 wound Warlock that can also support Wraiths. Even if you don't include any Wraiths, a Spiritseer is better than a Warlock IF YOU HAVE THE POINTS.

Branching quickly into the Runes of Battlepowers - Each power has a friendly version and a hostile version. Note that both a friendly version and a hostile version can be cast in the same phase in Matched play.
Conceal/Reveal - Conceal: Choose a friendly unit and make them -1 to hit against ranged weapons. Pretty straight forward. Only effects infantry and bikes though. reveal: Removes cover from an enemy unit. Also pretty straight forward.

Embolden/Horrify - Embolden: Infantry and Biker again, it adds 2 to their LD. Horrify: An enemy unit receives -1 to their LD. Horrify can be combined with Hemlocks to give -3 LD!

Enhance/Drain - Enhance: Add 1 to hit rolls in the fight phase. Note this is only the fight phase. People seem to think it is all the time - it is not. Drain: An enemy subtracts 1 from hit rolls in the fight phase. Again, only in the fight phase.

Protect/Jinx - Protect: Adds 1 to the save rolls of a friendly infantry or bike unit. Note it's to ALL save rolls. Armour AND Invul. Very potent spell. Jinx: Subtracts 1 from save rolls for an enemy unit (again armour AND invul) - a very potent spell again.

Quicken/Restrain - Quicken: A friendly infantry or bike unit can move as if it were the movement phase - so note that restrictions of the movement phase are brought into account.. You cannot move within 1" to by-pass overwatch. Restrain: halves an enemy's movement.

Empower/Enervate - Empower: Add 1 to wound rolls in the fight phase for a friendly infantry or bike unit. Again keyword is fight phase. Enervate: Subtract 1 from wound rolls for an enemy unit in the fight phase.
***Runes of Battle aren't so auto-include. With the exception of maybe Conceal/Reveal and Protect/Jinx.***

Prince Yriel - A fluffy Iyanden Autarch. Not as auto-include as Eldrad is for their Craftworld. I have one but only bust him out in friendly narrative games. Autarchs have access to a lot better. However, he is cheap. If you need a cheap Autarch and don't care that he does not have access to the immense arsenal of the Autarchs, then he does the job just as good. he also comes with 1 more wound than a normal Autarch on foot.

Autarchs - Autarchs can be on foot, on bike, with wings or if you play index, with a Warp-Generator. They have access to an incredible amount of weapons via the codex and index as well as the banshee Mask. I almost always take an Autarch on Bike with a banshee Mask (list pending of course, if I run Iyanden I barely use Autarchs and if I DO take one, it's the Prince 90% of the time). Wings allow them to Deep Strike, Warp-Generator gives them the cool Warp jump. Autarch's aren't an instant take like farseers, but add a lot of value to your army. An Autarch gives re-roll's of 1 and if it is your general, allows you to also farm CP.

Avatar of Khaine - They made this guy really good. He's expensive, but is well worth the price, especially in a unit where you run a lot of large units (like guardians). He has an innate 12" bubble that makes units auto-pass morale and allows those units to re-roll failed charge rolls. He has a 5++ invul and a 5+ FNP. he is 8 wounds so cannot be targeted except by snipers. Lastly, he carries a melta sword! It's brilliant! Note that an Avatar of Khaine CAN take a Warlord trait but CANNOT take a relic. Not an auto-include, but extremely fun to take.

Asurmen - The Dire Avenger Phoenix Lord. He gives all Aspect Warriors a 5++ invul, which improves to 4++ if the unit is a Dire Avenger unit. he doesn't give re-roll 1's like the Autarch does. Very situational character. He IS the only Phoenix Lord with an invul (4++ vs ranged and 3++ vs melee) so he adds a lot of punch to a list. Note that Phoenix Lords cannot gain the ebenfits from Craftworlds.

Baharroth - the Swooping Hawks Phoenix Lord. No invul but as an innate 2+ armour. He adds +1 to LD of Aspect Warriors (+2 to Swooping Hawks) within 6". Has a huge movement characteristic and can jump in and out of the clouds. he gives Swooping hawks within 6" re-roll 1's. If you take Swooping Hawks in your list, he's almost a must. He supports hawks while also being able to add some punch of his own. He is priced well too, so all in all not a bad Phoenix Lord (minus no innate invul).

Fuegan - The Fire Dragon Phoenix Lord. Again, a 2+ armour and no invul. However, he does get a 5+ FNP! Feugan is a well rounded character. He gives re-roll 1's to his ranged weapons as well as for Fire Dragons within 6" (note it is only for ranged weapons). He also re-rolls 1's to wound vs vehicles and monsters (just him though). At the end of the first fight phase that he loses a wound, he gains +2 strength and attacks for the rest of the battle. So if he survives the fight phase, he hulks out. That aint too shabby! Slightly on the expensive side, but still feasible for what he brings to the table.

Jain Zar - My favourite Aspect is the Banshees, so naturally my favourite Phoenix Lord is Jain Zar. Phoenix Lord, so again, they forgot their invul at home but still come with that nice 2+ armour. She is FAST. She can move 8" and can advance and still charge. If she does so, she adds +3 to her charge range and can declare a charge within 15" instead of 12". her banshee Mask prevents overwatch, so can really help lock a unit to prevent another from being shot up. She always fights first on the fight phase and if all that hasn't won you over - she can disarm your opponent! Oh, and did I mention enemies must subtract 1 from hit rolls against her in combat? yeah. She is the battle Queen.

Karandas - The Striking Scorpion Phoenix Lord. Rulewise, this guy is so cool. He can be set up in Deep Strike "Shadows", gets a buff when attacking people in cover and has a cool flavourful ability called "Death by a Thousand Stings" (Death by a Thousand Cuts) - it gives him and units of Scorpions within 6" the explode ability on 6's (6's to hit immediate proc more attacks). No invul, since he's a Phoenix Lord, and no reroll 1's bubble. He isn't bad in combat and if you're taking Scorpions, he fits in very well with them.

Maugan Ra - The Reaper Phoenix Lord. I'll let you guess whether he has an invul or not (he doesn't). He has a 6" bubble that gives re-roll's of 1 for him and Reapers. He shoots twice with his fancy weapon and re-roll's wound rolls of 1 vs Chaos. I'm not a big fan of him. He always hits on 2's regardless of the modifiers or abilities of an enemy unit - but his weapon profile makes me sad. His ranged attack has two profiles - 1 shot that can possibly do mortal wounds to a unit or 4 shots with the exact same strength, AP and damage as the 1 shot profile. Since he can fire twice, you might be able to get a ton of mortal wounds off, but if you're shooting at a unit that the 1 shot profile will hurt - then the d3 mortal wounds vs simply 3 more shots just seems silly. Perhaps if he could target characters, or pick models in a unit to take the wounds. It would be cheaper to take an Autarch with a Reaper Launcher and still give the same support for Reapers than it would to take Maugan Ra. I like the model, and every so often if I am playing a fluffy game I will take him, but overall I feel his weapon needs a rework. Some may say "Well on 6's to wound, the AP goes to -3" - yeah but it isn't reliable and there are better ways to get damage out on a unit than spending the point cost of Maugan Ra. Maybe if you were playing against a Chaos Cultist army or something.

***Phoenix Lords are cool. They are definitely not an auto-take, but they can add flavour to lists as well as keep them fluffy.***

Illic Nightspear - If Rangers had a Phoenix Lord, he would be it. He is essentially a Ranger turned to 11. He hits on 2's, re-roll's hit and wound rolls of 1 vs Necrons and then has the standard Ranger goodies. GW nerfed our scout movement because they obviously hate us so you can no longer deploy after the game begins but before the first battle round. You either deploy in your deployment zone or deep strike in. You know.. unlike Imperium Scouts that get to deploy outside of deployment... He carries the Voidbringer - a decent sniper rifle with a 48" range. It wounds on a 2+ unless it targets a vehicle, has -3 ap and does a flat 3 damage. 6's to wound also causes a single mortal wound. He can kill Guard Characters essentially. NOTHING compared to the new Assassins though. Since he is Alaitoc, he gets the innate -1 to hit that combines with his Hunter Unseen ability, so is incredibly effective at not being sniped himself. If you're running a ranger list and want some extra pow, he is worth the investment. Snipers in this edition are sub-par vs the older editions. You get to bypass the character targeting rule and that's pretty much it. No more pinning, no more selecting what model in the unit takes the hit, none of that goodness. The only reason i still take rangers is due to board control and character harassment.

Guardian Defenders - Our basic infantry troop. Can take weapon platforms that vary in weapon loadout. They have a Stratagem that can give them a 4++ invul. Min 10, max 20. I really like Guardians. If you take Alaitoc, not only are they harder to hit as they traverse across the field, but you can give your Warlord the Alaitoc trait that makes them auto-pass morale! Imagine hordes Guardians with Platforms advancing across the field that are immune to morale. Beil-tan gives re-rolls of 1 for Shuriken weapons, meaning no need to bring an Autarch. Even Ulthwe combines their Celestial Shield strat and Ulthwe FNP to make an extremely resilient unit. Guardians are good.

Storm Guardians - A cheaper variant of the Guardian Defender. You trade in your Shuriken Catapult and Platforms for a blade and pistol. Up to two Storm Guardians can take a flamer of fusion gun. They are cheap if you need to fill the role of CP Tax and can still take advantage of the Celestial Shield stratagem. Storm Guardians are min 8, Max 24!

Dire Avengers - An Aspect Warrior unit built around tactical warfare. They come stock with Avenger Shuriken Catapults - which are Shuriken Catapults with a longer range. They overwatch on 5+ and the Exarch has 2 wounds and an invul. The Exarch can take fancy weapons, including a shield that gives his entire unit an invul instead of only himself. Most people take him with two Avenger Shuriken Catapults but I also have one modelled with a Shield. They are Troops, so are nothing to look past. They are great units, especially combined with Asurmen (you also don't need the shield if Asurmen is nearby). Min 4 + Exarch (or 5 with no Exarch), Max 9 + Exarch (or 10 without). There is no reason why you shouldn't bring an Exarch in any of the Aspect Warrior units since they simply replace the spot of an Avenger.

Rangers - What the Imperium wishes their Scouts were - which is why GW nerfed Rangers. Sad times for all. Seriously though, they have Sniper Rifles, Catapult Pistols and Camo Cloaks. They used to be able to set up in Eldar Tricksy ways but were changed to either be set up during deployment or can deep strike. Min 5, max 10. Great board control still, even with the change to their rule. You'll find a lot of competitive players will take Rangers. Especially so if you go Alaitoc. Alaitoc gives them -1 to hit outside of 12", combined with their innate -1 to hit makes them great at objective hunting. They also have a strat (Alaitoc Rangers) that makes them unabble to be hit except by 6's regardless of any modifiers. Just note this Strat must be declared at the START of your enemy's shooting phase BEFORE any units activate.

Howling Banshees - My favourite unit. Although not a very competitive one. They are no joke though and can be used as a shock unit. they move 8", can advance and still charge, and yes, they get the +3 to charge rolls for doing so - Just like their Phoenix Lord. unfortunately they only have a 4+ armour and no access to an invul, so you have to play them smart. If you have an Exarch (which, again you should since it is a free upgrade), your unit is -1 to hit in the combat phase. The unit as a whole still has Banshee Masks, so no overwatch against them - this is huge. They hit on 3+ with 2 attacks each (3 from the Exarch) with power swords. The only unfortunate part is they are S3 - so wounding Marines on 5+ (4+ if you boost them with a spell) - so these masters of the combat are subpar vs T4+. This is why the vast majority of the internet says they suck or they aren't worth taking. Competitively - they are correct. They are difficult to keep alive as they want to take the fight into combat and have low strength. However, once they do great at surrounding and holding vehicles. Most vehicles can only hit on 6+, so with their incredible speed, you can usually surround a vehicle and keep them locked down while you chip them away. I once faced a Guard player who had 3 Wyverns in a ruin, hiding since they don't require LoS to shoot. I chained my banshee squad across the back and charge all 3 tanks. Due to the walls, and Tanks not being able to traverse through them, I locked those tanks down the rest of the game. Banshees are a fun. Friendly games, I recommend them highly. Min 4 + Exarch (or 5 with no Exarch), Max 9 + Exarch (or 10 without).

Striking Scorpions - The "better Banshee" or the "Why take a Banshee when you can take a Scorpion". To be fair, Scorpions are good. They have an innate 3+ armour and can strike from the shadows (deep strike). They get S4 with their Scorpion Chainswords, get boosted when targeting a unit in cover and have Mandiblasters that can add mortal wounds in the combat phase. Lastly, they have Karandas' explode ability (although named differently) for the Exarch only. Scorpions are a great unit both friendly play as well as competitively. Again, the Exarch is a free upgrade, so I would take it every time. Min 4 + Exarch (or 5 with no Exarch), Max 9 + Exarch (or 10 without).

Fire Dragons - Also known as the Suicide Squad. For some reason people always suicide these guys. So, they come standard with Fusion guns and the Exarch can take a Firepike or Dragon Breath Flamer. They have a 3+ save, can re-roll wound rolls of 1 vs Monsters and Vehicles and the Exarch can re-roll hit rolls of 1. So. Melta Gun Aspect Warriors. 12" range (18 on the Firepike). Naturally, you put them in a Wave Serpent and zip them across the board OR you pay 1 CP to Deep Strike them in. They unload/come in, shoot up a tank or monster and then sit there smiling as the enemy shifts their vision to them on their next turn. People use them as Suicide Squads since realistically, they have one job and then are stuck in enemy territory. they could use the Fire and Fade Strat to move after they shoot and hopefully hide themselves - but realistically they are dead to you after the are done. The thing is.. they can still be effectively used if you don't Suicide them up. Min 4 + Exarch (or 5 with no Exarch), Max 9 + Exarch (or 10 without).

Wraithblades - So, I play Iyanden if I am not playing competitively. Iyanden has been my favourite Craftworld for many years. I have a fully painted eldar army, but my Wraith Host is pushed even past that. battle damage, decals, etc. I LOVE Wraiths. So, naturally I have Wraithblades. Wraithblades can be taken one of two ways - Dual Swords or Axe and Shield. Axe and Shield is expensive but very well worth it. They also got a huge rework in 8th. 3 whopping wounds a piece at T6 and a 3+ innate armour save. 2 attacks a piece (3 if you take Dual Swords). Swords are +1 strength, -3 ap and 1 damage a pop. At S5, this means WBlades are wounding even Nurgle on 3's. Axes give +2 strength, -3 ap and d3 damage a pop - but you must subtract 1 from hit rolls. They combine the Axe with the Forceshield, giving them a 4++ invul. So combine them with Protect and you have a unit of 3++ invul, 3 wound, T6 models. It can get nasty. Don't forget that Spiritseers allow them to re-roll 1's to hit! Min 5, Max 10.

Wraithguard - The Shooty versions. They have the same stats as a Wraithblade except only have 1 attack. Not that their melee isn't bad though. But, as a shooty version, their shine is their guns. A flamer option at 8" or a cannon option at 12". They changed how D weapons work. They are now S10 for these guys but pack a whopping -4 AP! Wraithguard are incredibly good at taking down high toughness models, high armoured models, medium toughness models, medium armoured models, low - you get the point. Min 5, Max 10.

Windrider - Our Jetbike unit. Move is 16" with an auto advance of 6". T4 with 2 wounds a piece and a 4+ save. They can take twin Catapults, Cannons or Scatter Lasers. They are fast and can put out a lot of wounds. Make them Saim-Hann and those Scatter Lasers get really deadly. bring them in a Vigilus detachment and now all your units within range of your Farseer on bike get -1 ap.... Yeah they can do well. Min 3, Max 9.

Vypers - Vehicle Jetbikes. So they ALSO get the benefit of Saim-Hann. T5 with 6 wounds and a 3+ save. They can be taken in units of 1-3. If you take the in a unit of 3, their movement goes from 16" to 20". They have a wide assortment of weapons and as such, can really deal a lot of damage.

Swooping Hawks - Fluffy and fun. They are essentially mini-versions of their Phoenix Lord. The Exarch even gives out a LD buff. They come standard with lasblasters, so not the most potent shooting. They can however move fast and drop grenades on people's heads - so that's a nice little added benefit. They can leap back into the air, and so board control/objective hunting is their game. Min 4 + Exarch (or 5 with no Exarch), Max 9 + Exarch (or 10 without).

Warp Spiders - The fearless Aspect Warrior that goes through hell itself. The lore behind these guys are brutal! The Exarch allows them to re-roll failed morale - I wish it just let them auto-pass considering the fluff. They have 12" guns that are S6 and become -4 AP on 6's to wound. They aren't too bad. Their real shine however is their Flicker Jumps and Warp Jumps. These guys rule board control - they can ADD 4d6" to their movement! It's crazy. If an enemy unit shoots them, they can also Flicker Jump, granting a -1 to hit. Seriously, if you haven't read their fluff - you should do so. It's like the movie Event Horizon. Min 4 + Exarch (or 5 with no Exarch), Max 9 + Exarch (or 10 without).

Shining Spears - Jetbikes with lances that fire. They have a 16" movement and auto advance 6". They have a 4+ invul vs shooting. They are T4 with 2 wounds and a 3+ save. These guys are crazy. They can close gaps safely while also wielding good shooting power. Each bike has a mounted twin Shuriken Catapult and the lances themselves are no joke! the Exarch re-rolls wound rolls (full wound rolls, not just 1's) vs Monsters and Vehicles. You'll find Ynnari players tend to use Shining Spears a lot in competitive play. Min 2 + Exarch (or 3 with no Exarch), Max 8 + Exarch (or 9 without).

Warwalkers - T6, 6 wound Eldar Dreadnoughts. They have an innate 5++ invul and can scout in using their Scout Vehicle rule. They essentially come in within 3" of a Board Edge but 9" from enemy units. Pretty handy things. They come standard with 2 Shuriken Cannons but can be given a wide array of weapons. I like Warwalkers - they add a lot to an Eldar list. Min 1, Max 3.

Wraithlord - A Wraithblade/guard but on crack. They have wrist-mounted weapons and can take any Heavy Weapon and a Sword. Unfortunately they cannot take any D-weapons. T8 with 10 wounds and a 3+ save. This means they degrade. It makes me sad, but it is what it is and makes sense. That being said, they still pack a huge punch for their points.4 attacks with a Ghostglaive means S9 -4 ap d6 damage attacks. You get this thing in combat and things will die.

Support Weapons - These things are fun. T5 with 5 wounds and a 4+ save. They can be taken with D-Cannons (powerful D-weapons at 24", s12, -4 Ap and d6 damage - ignores LoS), Shadow Weavers (48" LoS ignoring that become -4 ap on 6's) and Vibro Cannons (They get better the more that is fired at a target. They also make a unit wounded unable to advance.). Support Weapons come in units of 1-3 but once deployed, act individually.

Dark Reapers - Probably the scariest ranged unit in the game. 48" dual profile shots that will always, no matter what, hit on 3's regardles of how awesome you may think you are. The Exarch can re-roll hit rolls of 1 and has access to a 36" ignoring LoS weapon. This unit is as scary as the Reaper itself. Which is why they show up in almost every single Eldar and ynnari list. You can hide them in cover, then move out, shoot and fire and fade them back in. They get even more dangerous if they are Guided and EVEN MORE if the target unit is Doomed. People simply don't like facing this unit. They are expensive though. Min 2 + Exarch (or 3 with no Exarch), Max 9 + Exarch (or 10 without).

Falcon - A T7, 12 wound tank that can carry 6 models and packs a pretty punchy Pulse Laser. Not always the best option since it uses up a Heavy Slot choice. But, it aint bad. It has access to the heavy weapons list as well as the Vehicle list.

Night Spinner - Another T7, 12 wound tank. This tank can ignore LoS though! No transport capacity, but this Tank is cheap and powerful. It has a 48" gun that can shred units. Hide it and tear hole through units from across the board.

Fire Prism - Another T7, 12 wound tank similar to the NIght Spinner in that there is no transport capacity. This tank has a Giant prism on its top that shoots a triple profile gun. Oh, and did I mention they have a Stratagem that makes these Tanks one of the most deadliest Tank Trio in the game? Yeah. So you dedicate 1 tank to be the anchor - they choose a unit within their range and LoS (range is 60"!) - then, any other Fire Prism that can see the anchor Fire Prism gets to shoot it's Prism Cannon, ignoring LoS AND RANGE to the target - oh and they get to re-roll EVERYTHING. And if that wasn't cool enough, if they move under their movement value (0" aka not moving still allows it to happen), they get to shoot their Fire Prism twice (but must be the same profile and at the same target). Yeah, My Mechdar list has 3 Fire prisms and 3 Night Spinners. It's pretty nasty.

Wave Serpent - Our go to transport. T7, 13 wounds, 3+ save and can carry 12 models. The Serpent Shield reduces damage of weapons by 1 (to a minimum of 1) and can be discharged to do mortal wounds to a nearby unit. There is also a Strat that allows it to discharge it again, even if it has already been done so (once discharged, the Serpent Shield no longer exists/becomes powered off/down). You can give it Vehicle Upgrades that allow it to Advance 2d6 rather than d6, gives it a -1 to hit if it Advances, a Targeting Matrix that allows them to ignore the movement penalty if they shoot at the closest unit and finally a 6+ FNP. Alaitoc Serpents with both engine Upgrades means they can move 16" + 2d6" Advance and becomes -2 to hit. They make great transports and objective hunters.

Crimson Hunter - Can be taken as a normal Hunter or an Exarch. This Flyer is extremely good at taking out units with the FLY keyword. It is one of the only Flyers in the game that can pivot twice. It has a BS that starts at 2+, but since all its weapons are heavy, it automatically becomes 3+ to hit - which drives me NUTS. I get it, it counters the Heavy Weapon profile and makes them a 3+ to hit like most flyers.... but come on GW. Regardless, the normal version has a set loadout and only the Exarch can switch out guns. The Exarch can also re-roll 1's to hit. Both versions can re-roll failed wound rolls vs units with the FLY keyword. Making these Flyers extremely potent vs other Flyers. It also has an innate -1 to hit.

Hemlock Wraithfighter - A Wraith with wings. This Flyer is my favourite. The only thing that degrades on this Flyer is its movement value. It comes with two D-Weapon flamers, Spirit Stones for a 6+ FNP and can cast a power! It can cast Smite or the secondary effect of Runes of Battle spells (so Conceal/Reveal - it could only cast Reveal). It has the same double pivot and -1 to hit as the Crimson Hunter and then adds in something really cool - It comes stock with Mindshock Pods - Enemy units within 12" reduce their LD by 2! These guys + Horrify can really cripple the LD of a unit. Counts as a Wraith Construct, so you can use any abilities and powers that target Wraith Constructs on it. Since the only thing that degrades is its movement - Iyanden Craftworld trait isn't exactly the go to Craftworld you'd think it to be - as Alaitoc makes this thing an even harder to hit pest.

Wraithknight - Ah, the Wraithknight. The bringers of death in 7th. Well, in 8th edition they no longer carry the title of "broken" or "OP". T8, 24 wounds and a 3+ save - they match Imperial Knights.... but no innate invul save. You can take the Wraithknight in 1 of 3 variations. Sword and Shield (a naaaaasty sword that will pretty much destroy anything it contacts and the shield gives it a 5++ invul), Suncannon and Shield (same 5++ invul but now coupled with a gun that will smash primaris) and double Heavy Wraithcannons (S16, -4ap, d6 damage guns). As Titanic units, they can move away from combat and still shoot/charge, and can also move over infantry units. They can be supported by Runes of fate powers and anything a Spiritseer can dish out (there is a Stratagem that effects Wraith Constructs for the Spiritseer). Is a WK an auto-include like an IK is? No. GW tried to salvage their use by reducing their point cost but it only made them a little cheaper to not take. Does this mean they are not competitive? No. They are still extremely difficult to take down and if you take the Iyanden Craftworld, they double their remaining wounds when consulting the chart. This is huge. As long as you aren't facing off against macro weapons, a WK is going to terrorize your foe. With the right support, they can be more potent than an IK is stock - and let's remember that an IK's invul is only good for ranged weapons. So if you can get a WK with Sword into combat with an IK - it will most likely go poof. As any Iyanden Wraith Host player, I have 2.

So that was a short (shortish?) overview of the units. I didn't include the FW ones since they aren't in the original codex from GW. I do however have a Revenant and a Scorpion, so do use the FW book at times.

Let's look at their Craftworlds:

Alaitoc - If a unit is more than 12" away, they receive a -1 to hit you. This combines with a lot of our units to make them incredibly difficult to hit. Combine that with Lightning-Fast reactions Stratagem and you add a further -1 to hit. -3 to hit Flyers? Yeah that's awesome. Alaitoc is one of the most common competitive Craftworlds for mono-elf lists.

Biel-Tan - +1 LD to Aspect Warriors. In addition, you can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for Shuriken weapons. This is handy in guardian Bomb lists or Avenger lists.

Iyanden - A unit with this attribute can only ever lose 1 model due to morale. HUGE. In addition, Wraith Constructs double their remaining wounds when consulting the chart. Also HUGE. Is it competitive HUGE? Well, on WKs yes.

Saim-Hann - Can re-roll failed charge rolls. In addition, units with the BIKER keyword can move and shoot heavy weapons without penalty to their hit rolls.

Ulthwe - Gives the unit a 6+ FNP but does not stack with any other FNP ability.

So from a competitive point of view, there are a few Craftworlds that can boost your army depending on how you wish to play your list. That being said, Alaitoc tends to be the better choice in most cases. From a friendly point of view - Alaitoc makes you a dick, so says the internet.

So now that we have a brief understanding of the units and the Craftworl traits - what can we do to make them competitive? Well, the obvious choice is to ally in some Dark Eldar, Harlequins or simply take Ynnari.

Dark Eldar can be used for a very cheap CP detachment. 2 Archons and 3 min units of Kabalite Warriors. Take them as Black Heart to give yourself access to the Vect Stratagem. The Vect Stratagem allows you to deny an opponent's Stratagem for 4 CP. You roll a dice, on a 1 nothing happens and the Strat goes off. On a 2-5, the Strat does not go off but the CP is refunded for it. On a 6, not only does the Strat NOT go off, but it also eats the CP cost your opponent just invested into it! Archons come with a 2+ invul that disappears once they take their first wound - they are increibly tanky for objects.

Harlequins give you access to anti-vehicle weapons on very fast, very resilient bikes.

Ynnari gives you access to Soulburst and a spell that makes a unit soulburst.

But, for the purpose of this giant article I seem to have started writing, let's pretend they don't exist and let's focus on mono-elf Eldar.

So what units work at a competitive level? Well, let's break down the levels and attach them to units.
SS - Practically an Auto-take.
-Farseer

S - Very good units. Above top tier. You'll find these units in a large amount of competitive lists.
-Eldrad ***Here since he is attached to the Ulthwe Craftworld***
-Autarch
-Reapers
-Fire Dragons
-Wave Serpent
-Crimson Hunter
-Hemlock
-Rangers
-Shining Spears

A - Top Tier units.
-Spiritseer
-Warlock
-Prince Yriel
-Guardians (Storm and Defender)
-Dire Avengers
-All Phoenix Lords
-Illic
-Scorpions
-WBlades
-WGuard
-Windriders
-Warp Spiders
-Night Spinner
-Fire Prism
-Wraithknights

B - Mid Tier units
-Howling Banshees
-Vypers ***Can be A depending on Craftworld***
-War Walkers ***Can be A depending on Craftworld***
-Support Weapons ***Can be A depending on weapon***
-Swooping Hawks
-Falcon
-Wraithlord

C - Low Tier units
-Warlock Conclaves
So then what makes a competitive list - competitive? Well, spamming the best unit for the role it needs to fill. Does this mean you'll see less A rank units? Yes! Competitive lists aren't normally fluffy, and are built to win. Sure you can make fluffy competitive lists and do well with them, but if you're going to a tournament and paying a lot of money + lodging + food + whatever else - you're probably going to build a list to win. This is why I sigh every time a new person in the hobby goes to the internet and asks for a list. They haven't even read through their book yet and are planning out lists with the help of the internet. No. You need to read your book. Then read it again. Aaaaand then read it one more time. Learn the units, learn the rules, learn the army. Then you'll have a better understanding how the army works and WHY these units fall where they do. I see people taking on Eldar and using internet lists and then complaining, when they lose, that Eldar suck. Sorry but we do not suck, perhaps it was the player? (Hint - it's almost always the player) And of course you're going to suck if you don't invest into your army more than simply buying the models. Banshees are a perfect example of this. They are Mid Tier BUT CAN BE used to great effect with a good General behind them - even outshining some S rank units.

So let's see an example of a competitive level list (My Mechdar list):
Craftworld: Alaitoc
Total CP: 13

Battalion 1

Autarch Skyrunner
-Warlord
-Banshee Mask
-Shimmerplume
-Fate's Messenger
-Power Sword

Farseer
-Guide
-Doom

Avengers x10 with Exarch
-Exarch has double Avenger Catapults

Avengers x10 with Exarch

Avengers x10 with Exarch

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

Wave Serpent
-Vectored Engines
-Star Engines

Wave Serpent
-Vectored Engines
-Star Engines

Battalion 2

Autarch on foot

Spiritseer
-Protect/Jinx

Ranger x5

Ranger x5

Ranger x5

Night Spinner

Night Spinner

Night Spinner

Total: 1997/2000
So what makes this competitive then?

You put two units of Avengers into the Wave Serpents and either deploy the third or put them into Deep Strike. The Rangers start in Deep Strike. You deploy your army, keeping the Night Spinners out of LOS and only really need 1-2 Fire Prism to be in LoS of things due to the strat. If you find you need to re-adjust your deployment after the fact (say you deployed first) - we have a stratagem to redeploy up to 3 units! Spirit seer is in one Wave Serpent, Farseer in another (or same, doesn't matter). Autarch on bike follows the Serpents and the Autarch on foot supports the Night Spinner(s).

You have 3 tanks with 48" LoS ignoring, 2d6, s7, ap-, 2 damage each shots each. 6's to wound become -4 AP. This is great for targeting objective holders, infantry blobs, even small vehicles.

You have 3 tanks with 60" tri-profile weapons that can shoot twice and can link-fire to allow re-roll everything vs a single target. This is an incredible threatening tool. The strat has no minimum or maximum amount of Fire Prisms that can link-fire - meaning you don't need all 3 to be alive to use it, unlike some of the other strats from other armies. These are great at covering a wide range of targets and threats.

You have 2 tanks that can move 16" + 2d6" advance and receives -1 to hit. They can transport your Avengers around to threats or objectives.

You have an Autarch that can deny overwatch, so you can hold up units.

You have Rangers for board control and objective hunting. They also receive a strat that makes it so they can only be hit on 6's.

All your units add -1 to hit if the enemy unit fires at you from more than 12" away. -2 Wave Serpents, -2 Rangers. This can be incredibly useful vs a lot of ranged armies.

Your list is fast - 16" movement with Fly means you can move around when need be. It means you cannot be locked down either.

Let's look at an example of another list, but less Mechdar:
Craftworld: Mixed
Total CP: 10 -1

Battalion: Alaitoc

Autarch on foot
-Reaper launcher

Farseer
-Guide
-Fortune

Ranger x5

Ranger x5

Ranger x5

Dark Reapers x10 with Exarch
-Exarch has Tempest Luancher

Outrider: Saim-Hann
Vigilus Detachment

Autarch Skyrunner
-Warlord
-Fate's Messenger
-Banshee Mask
-Fusion Pistol
-Novalance

Farseer Skyrunner
-Singing Spear
-Doom
-Will of Asuryan

Windriders x6
-Scatterlasers

Windriders x6
-Scatterlasers

Windriders x6
-Scatterlasers

Air Wing Detachment: Alaitoc

Crimson Hunter Exarch

Hemlock Wraithfighter

Hemlock Wraithfighter

Total: 1992/2000
So what makes this list competitive?

Well, you have Bikes that have a 16" + 36" threat range with 4 shots at S6. You can activate the Vigilus detachment strat to give them all -1 ap. This detachment also includes a Warlord that is no joke - he can smash into units and do great damage. The farseer can keep the bikes from running away as well as dooming units for the Reapers.

Then your Battalion detachment has Rangers that can secure objectives and harass characters. A unit of Dark Reapers supported by a farseer that can give them Guide and Fortune and an Autarch for re-roll 1's (if Guide doesn't go off) and his own Reaper Launcher. Hide them in a ruin, move them out and shoot, then fade and fire back into the ruin.

Finally 3 Flyers for harassing. Two of which can cast powers and have D-weapon flamers! With their Alaitoc trait, they are -2 to hit outside of 12" and you can use a Stratagem to make one of them gain an additional -1 to hit!

So, we have two lists with two totally different load outs that can be extremely difficult to deal with. Why not throw in a third, but make it use less variation of units:
Craftworld: Biel-Tan
Total CP: 8

Battalion

-Warlord
-Doesn't really matter what trait you give him but I recommend the Biel-Tan one.

Farseer
-Doom
-Will of Asuryan

Guardians x20
-Shuriken Cannon Platform

Guardians x20

Guardians x20

Guardians x20

Guardians x20

Guardians x20

Nightspinner
-Crystal targeting Matrix

Nightspinner

Nightspinner

Total: 1996/2000
So a horde Eldar list of pure spam. So what exactly makes this competitive?

You have 3 tanks with 48" LoS ignoring, 2d6, s7, ap-, 2 damage each shots each. 6's to wound become -4 AP. This is great for targeting objective holders, infantry blobs, even small vehicles.

You have 120 Guardians and 12 Platforms running down the field that are immune to morale. Avatar and the Farseer both can keep them from breaking. All the Guardians re-roll 1's to hit and the Avatar can make one unit re-roll ALL failed to hits (the Biel-Tan Warlord trait). You have a strat that can give a Guardian unit a 4++ invul. You have a strat that can allow units to deep strike. You have units with an effective 24 wounds to chew through.

Snipers that do pop up in your enemy's list will have a tough time taking out the Avatar and Farseer.

Overall one dimensional, but can put out a lot of hurt. With 6's to wound becoming -3/4 ap.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay. So what if you don't want to play competitively? What if fluff, narrative driven battles suits you?

Then play whatever you like the look of, or whatever units you find fun. Seriously. There really is no easier answer than that. If you aren't looking to win every game, then why does it matter what you run? Switch it up! Try things out! Who knows, maybe even Warlock Conclaves will be your thing!

Warhammer 40k is meant to be fun. It's meant to be full of narrative battles and awesome stories. It was never meant for competitive play when you have to put up with cheesy lists and WAAC gameplay. Eldar is a very strong army - every single unit (not you Warlock Conclaves) are good and have a role to play. But like I said - every codex has a unit that does that role better - but that doesn't matter unless you are looking to win at all costs/win every time.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”