What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Post by kturock »

And in Orlando there are several stores that sell and play 40k.. experts abound and some even know what they're talking about.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Well I guess I was half right. My friend recently called me mad as hell because he now realizes that in order to have a (MATCH PLAY ARMY) You HAVE to buy the "Rule Book". And if you want the points to all the armies you owned prior you have to buy the INDEX's. ITS not all free on the "Net"

DAMN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE RIGHT!!!! CAN YOU FEEL THAT HUH, HUH!!! This house has been cleared.

I own ORKS, ELDAR, Marines, Chaos, Guard, and Grey Knights. That's 5 different books I might have to buy all over again. But lucky for me one index covered all my marines and grey knights at one time. SO, GW did me a solid with that alone.

Now lets see what GW pulls out of the "HAT" next for 40k.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

And yet all five of those indexes cost less than 3 of your books did before.

I'm not sure where the 'everything will be free on the net' rumor came from, but it was obviously deluded. Base rules were always going to be free.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Nightlord, your tone's gotten kinda' gloaty and aggressive... I'm not sure why you're still playing and paying them if you're that pissed off. I get the disappointment or even resentment about the edition (they sure mislead if not technically lying about the rules being free, and they were pretty darn lazy with a lot of their rules (I've been fairly vocal about power level's issues, and FW seems to have had some pretty spectacularly poor editing)), but I feel like I'm practically a fanboy compared to how you're reacting. Seriously, it might be time to move on and cull a bunch of your collection if you're that unhappy with things.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
Sororitas ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Sororitas »

I think it's a marketing choice. Today's young people have a hard time sitting still, long enough, to learn large extensive rule formats. Making the rules simpler, may draw some young players in. However, I agree. The price needs to come down. You can spend, well over, $1000 for a 2000 point army (200 power?). How many 13 year olds have that kind of money?
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

I don't think upper limit matters so much as lower. I think a pretty good meter is, what does a 2k army's price look like with a starting point of half a starter box or a starter core army? You can make your army entirely out of FW IG infantry and it'll cost an arm and a leg, or you could make it out of a marine core and high priced stuff like terminators, and it'll be much more reasonable.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

Sororitas ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Sororitas »

I just have to figure out what to do with all these banner bearers
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

Sororitas wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 pm
I just have to figure out what to do with all these banner bearers
What's wrong with banners?

Couldn't you just say that count as Imagifiers?
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

That's exactly what I am doing. Using banner bearers for Imagifers.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
Sororitas ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Sororitas »

I just realized that. I can also cut the banner down to look like a staff. Dialogus
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Sororitas wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:43 am
I just realized that. I can also cut the banner down to look like a staff. Dialogus
Just put one of the baby speakers from the vehicles on the top of the staff.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I hate everything about the Primaris Marines. I will not play a 40k game against or with them.
Primaris Heresy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 pm
I hate everything about the Primaris Marines. I will not play a 40k game against or with them.

Primaris Heresy.jpg
Heretic!
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

So, I didn't even get to CRACK the book. LOL
That said, as pointed out by psiekier, they're not going to be difficult. What I've read, I like almost entirely.
I think nightlord doesn't realize he was actually wrong.
The *rules* were released free as promised. Nobody promised free indexes or anything else.
The other thing he doesn't seem to have realized is that, for all the good GW did him with the rules for his SM armies, they're going to hose him soon (IMO). Despite making all army rules available on day 1, once they start putting out codices, those indexes are going to be outdated and probably wrong (I anticipate changes for key units, so we NEED the new books).

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

"rules" is a term that's pretty easy to argue means "entire core game mechanics (outside of armies, campaigns, etc.)" and I don't think GW delivered that at all, just what amounts to a preview version. And it's definitely interpretable as "all mechanics required to play the game" which could have consisted of the index versions of armies (all core rules, and playable versions of armies w/o the bells and whistles), or the entire game content, as some game companies do deliver.

I think they were pretty deceptive with their Indexes, since they stated that the consolidated back of the book values were there to allow easy rebalancing, sure implying that the books would be around long enough that it would be something they implemented, but with print turnaround/development times, it's obvious that the first wave of codexes would have been printed well before they had any time for player feedback etc. In short, they lied through implying longevity.

And then there's FW, which omitted quite a few entries (straight up misinformation) and their poor QC which isn't deceptive but sure doesn't give me confidence in anything they put out.

Basically, I was pretty happy about the core mechanics, but am really mistrustful of anything the company says, and am sure glad I was too busy to buy new rules yet.
-Nietzsche

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”