Getting back into the game, questions about changes.

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

Wagz86 ( 0 )
New Trader

Getting back into the game, questions about changes.

Post by Wagz86 »

So. I'm a 4th player. I'm just now returning to the game. Because of the changes in GW business model is why I quit in the first place. I used to be a tyranid player. So anything based on some of my bitterness from before I'm getting back into the game but I'm taking a different approach to sort of protect myself as a consumer.

Here's the army that I'm building mostly because of economic reason but also I love their fluff.
I want to do a DA DW list. The models are pretty cheap money wise versus high point cost so you end up with a pretty neat 2k list that really didn't cost you much to purchase. Especially since a lot of players seem to be bailing on DA altogether.

So I've read around a bit and it seems people are sort of on the fence when it comes to the viability of a DW list. So I'm bored at work and figured why not ask you all what you think. Please keep in mind I have zero intention of being a competitive player. Casual only pure and simply. But I also don't want to get tabled left and right either. So what do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Re: Getting back into the game, questions about changes.

Post by NuWishA »

Currently, you can't run a pure Deathwing list. DW have to start in reserve and you get to choose what turn they all come in on (2, 3, or 4). So you'll need to have an HQ and two troops (who aren't death wing) on the group so you don't auto-lose at the end of the first turn.
Wagz86 ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Wagz86 »

I'm going to run the lions blade strike force

psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

Wagz86 wrote:I'm going to run the lions blade strike force
The Lion's Blade Strike Force requires a minimum of one Core choice and one Auxiliary choice. This means you must have no less than a demi-company (and no, First and Second company don't count!) ready to go, plus ... well, your Deathwing Redemption Force would make a perfect Auxiliary, wouldn't they?

The advantage here is that because you could fill your army with units that have the "Grim Resolve" special rule, your overwatch fire when assaulted will be at your full Ballistics Skill. This includes your Deathwing ladz when they show up on the second (or subsequent) turns.

There are two disadvantages I can think of, though: first, you must take a demi-company to get this. That means at least three tactical squads, an assault squad, and a devastator squad lead by a company master or chaplain. If you're trying to economize on points, having this many required squadboyz in powered armour and an expensive leader is going to be a challenge. Second, none of these units have the "Objective Secured" special rule unless the scenario says otherwise. If your opponent is trying to win by taking objectives from you, he can do it even while yer ladz are standing right there on top of them!

Contrast this with the "Combined Arms Detachment". This formation requires you to have an HQ, but of your choosing, and only two Troops, leaving you more points overall in your army to spend on your precious (and effective!) Deathwing Redemption Force. Additionally, those Troops choices you take (tactical or scout squads) have "Objective Secured". Plus, you still get "Grim Resolve", but your BS counts as a 2 during overwatch instead of a 1 like everybody else.
Wagz86 ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Wagz86 »

The Demi has objective secured It's right under the profile for that formation. But yes. I've built a list and it was difficult because of the points you spend on the Demi. I managed to do it and walked away with a total of 22 terminators in the Deathwing formation. At 1850. So I think it's looking decent. Obviously time will tell what adjustments need to
Be made.

psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

Wagz86 wrote:The Demi has objective secured It's right under the profile for that formation.
Oh, duh. Right there on page 140!
Wagz86 wrote:But yes. I've built a list and it was difficult because of the points you spend on the Demi. I managed to do it and walked away with a total of 22 terminators in the Deathwing formation. At 1850. So I think it's looking decent. Obviously time will tell what adjustments need to be made.
There was another thread here where we talked about making 1500 point armies, and I was able to squeeze 21 terminators into a 1500 point army. What are you getting for the rest of your points?
Wagz86 ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Wagz86 »

Basically the entire Demi has drop pods assigned to each squad. Some of those with teleport homers.
With the Deathwing you've got belial. A command termie squad with apoth and company banner
3 normal termie squads. All termie squads have missile launchers. That's about the skinny of it

psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

Wagz86 wrote:Basically the entire Demi has drop pods assigned to each squad. Some of those with teleport homers.
With the Deathwing you've got belial. A command termie squad with apoth and company banner 3 normal termie squads. All termie squads have missile launchers. That's about the skinny of it.
Like NuWishA said, you've got to be careful you don't lose automatically because you have no models on the board at the end of any game turn. Be careful which and how many units you have waiting off the board in reserve so you don't find yourself wiped out before reinforcements arrive!

If you're going second, this shouldn't be a problem; the "Drop Pod Assault" roolz should safely put half your squads on the board by the end of the first turn, barring some kind of horrific Deep Strike Mishap. If you're going first, though (either because you chose to set up first or because you seized the initiative), you might want to have some extra ladz on the board - even if it means sending down an empty Drop Pod later!
Wagz86 ( 0 )
New Trader

Post by Wagz86 »

That's smart. Thank you for the idea of sending down empty pods. That's smart I like that

psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

Wagz86 wrote:That's smart. Thank you for the idea of sending down empty pods. That's smart I like that.
Rapid, flexible deployment is the chief advantage of choosing a Drop Pod that is not a dedicated transport. Sure, it will take up one of your Fast Attack slots, but in a tournament setting, this gives you a lot of extra leeway. You can change the unit that will arrive in it at deployment time, so depending on which opponent you face, bring your best guns to bear. Alternately, you can send the pod down by itself empty if your units need to be somewhere else (i.e., not closer to Daemons or Tyranids) to help your strategy. Drop Pods are AV 12 and have three hull points, so unless your opponent really needs to get rid of it for some reason, it may stick around long enough to score you some victory points.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

I recently built a DW army.(Angels Of Vengence) I have 2 librarian termi's as commanders, and some Raven wing to get things started. Plus the raven wing get homers for free. this will help your termis when they come down. and help you pin point your attacks. Belial is cool but for the points he will cost you can get a lot more . Also consider Termi Knights.

Read over Librarian powers. you'll be surprised how much they will make you army more power full. A dred in a Drop pod will help too. If ya'll use tact' cards a single dread in a drop pod will cause tons of first turn problems for your opponants. FIrst blood. Line breaker, And you may catch the enemy commander too. or maybe a large vehicle rear armor. And pay the points to put the deathwind missle launcher in it. Make your opponent have to shoot at both units and give the rest of your army more time to move in.

You can pick up raven wing bikers here and on eBay cheap.

Also consider a Small Command squad of termis with an apothecary also makes a HUGE difference. 2+, 5+I, and a feel no pain.

Hope this helps.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”