Price Hikes?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Re: Price Hikes?

Post by Scarapis »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:
optimusprime14 wrote: Actually most of the Tournaments have the rule that you have to use whatever base was provided with the model.
http://www.adepticon.org/14rules/2014modelpolicy.pdf

Certainly there are a few tournaments out there that permit the "base it came with", but they aren't the majority. Even NOVA's policy, which states "base it came with" is addressing third-party and custom base sizes, not legacy bases.
optimusprime14 wrote: For a base change of this magnitude I would think thatn any TO worth his salt will say keep them on the base they came one.
That may be. There will be advantages and disadvantages for certain classes of model.
optimusprime14 wrote: And the leading rumours is the 32 will be for all 25mm based models, not just marines
There's a lot of unsubstantiated talk around this, that's true.

It could go either way.

something tells me the new 32mm bases is a special item or such, since going from 25mm bases to 32mm bases is a big jump and could offset a lot of GW's lineup. not too mention making their current lineup of models obsolete in base size aspects, so they would have to redo them all.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I would wager that, as new models of that size and new stock of old models come out, GW will start putting every one of them on 32mm bases, once they're out of 25's.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

MagickalMemories wrote:I would wager that, as new models of that size and new stock of old models come out, GW will start putting every one of them on 32mm bases, once they're out of 25's.

Eric

Problem is when doing a change like this it would be quickly done, dragging it out will confuse matters, I'm curious only currently dealing with my DA Chapter what items come on these new bases?
optimusprime14 ( 100 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by optimusprime14 »

Scarapis wrote:
MagickalMemories wrote:I would wager that, as new models of that size and new stock of old models come out, GW will start putting every one of them on 32mm bases, once they're out of 25's.

Eric

Problem is when doing a change like this it would be quickly done, dragging it out will confuse matters, I'm curious only currently dealing with my DA Chapter what items come on these new bases?
So far it is solely the Death Company in the Campaign box and the new Blood Angel Tactical marines box. The Broodlord and Carnifex also so a base change in the box set as well, from a round to oval base.
Positive feedback I have left for but have not received any in return: Stephen, oldgamer56

If you didn't look at my location know that I am in Canada
Good advice for trading to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Scarapis wrote:

Eric

(No insult intended)
Have you been playing GW games for a while?
If you have, then you know it's exactly like GW to do what I'm proposing and not at all to do what's easiest on the gamer. They're not going to take a single "hit" on a model, base or supplement that they do not have to. They have been known to sell rule books and codices up to, like, a month before they knew the new one was coming out... at full MSRP. This was without any warning or official notice that a new one was impending, too.
When there was a GW store in STL, I stopped someone from buying a codex for a new army they were going to start because "confirmed" rumors (they were better back then, before GW put a BIG clamp down on them) were that a new version was coming out in about a month and a half. Sure enough... it came out as I'd expected.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Scarapis wrote:

Eric

(No insult intended)
Have you been playing GW games for a while?
If you have, then you know it's exactly like GW to do what I'm proposing and not at all to do what's easiest on the gamer. They're not going to take a single "hit" on a model, base or supplement that they do not have to. They have been known to sell rule books and codices up to, like, a month before they knew the new one was coming out... at full MSRP. This was without any warning or official notice that a new one was impending, too.
When there was a GW store in STL, I stopped someone from buying a codex for a new army they were going to start because "confirmed" rumors (they were better back then, before GW put a BIG clamp down on them) were that a new version was coming out in about a month and a half. Sure enough... it came out as I'd expected.

Eric

Actually yes been around for awhile, which is why this does not make sense GW has stuck with 25mm bases for a long time, why the sudden change up?
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

heres an interesting mail, someone posted elsewhere:
The Question
Dear Sir / Madam,
I have a question, can you explain what units will utilize the new 32mm bases? *I've seen these are included in Shield of Baal: Deathstorm & can only assume these are for the Death Company.

I ask as I am about to start painting my Black Legion army & want them all on the correct bases prior to commencing.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The Response from Games Workshop
Thanks for the email.
The new 32mm bases were a design choice made by the sculptors, to make the Death Company look more imposing. There is no specific base that you have to use for the Death Company, so should you wish to mount them on the smaller 20mm bases this is fine, but if you would rather have the slightly larger 32mm base, this is also fine.

I hope that this helps, but if you need anything further, please let me know.
Kind regards
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

Play what you want. FORGE THE NARRATTEEEEEEEEEVE... :D
Scarapis ( 0 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by Scarapis »

i'm wondering if they goofed when they said the smaller 20mm base instead of the smaller 25mm base? some people thought the 32mm bases were for the assault marines (to give them more stability), but then the tactics marines got 32mm bases so not sure there.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Scarapis wrote:i'm wondering if they goofed when they said the smaller 20mm base instead of the smaller 25mm base?
that is exactly what I wondered when I read it.
Honestly, it makes me discredit the entire thing, personally. Either the "email" response is a fake, or the staffer writing it can't be trusted to get his sh** straight.

As for why switch from 25 mm to 32 mm... In essence: greed. In the long run, it's in line with the gradual upward shift in size GW has gone through over the years. The larger your models get,the larger the bases need to be to accommodate them.

Eric

NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

GW HQ in the US is around less than two dozen people... I say that because if they can't maintain more than a skeleton crew to run such a huge market, I doubt the people who answer emails are doing more than trying to get you to buy more things so they don't get the hose again.

Though MM, your point about the upshift in size would make sense if they were getting bigger. Marines aren't. Not to say they won't get bigger, but they haven't since the multi-piece guys of 3rd edition came out.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

I forget who is GW again? :twisted:

Gaming has moved on.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I'll still hedge my bets towards them rolling out 32mm bases to replace 25 mm bases on all applicable new models in 2015, and many -if not all- new printings of old sculpts.

Eric

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”