Starting questions about Warhammer 40k

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Starting questions about Warhammer 40k

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Well i read on the games workshop website about some reading materils related to warhammer 40k. I was basically wondering which materials i needed to get started making armies and/or get started in the game. I figure i need the codex for the culture i want to play and the rules but i don't know if im missing anything?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Starting questions about Warhammer 40k

Post by MagickalMemories »

Well, you need the rulebook, of course. You need to know how to play the game before you can adequately build an army.
Once you know what army you're going to build, you need the codex.

My suggestion is to find someone who plays and has more than one army, preferably. Get them to teach you how to play. If you can get a feel of different armies. you'll get an idea of what your preference is. Then, you'll know what army to buy.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

Hunt around for the last edition of the 40k rule book. You should be able to nab one for $30 or so. Many people havent bought the newest version for various reasons. The last edition will "get your feet wet" with 40k and give you some art work to pick an army.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Last edition? As in "the previous edition?"
I'm sure he can get it MUCH cheaper than that.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

MagickalMemories wrote:Last edition? As in "the previous edition?"
I'm sure he can get it MUCH cheaper than that.

Eric
Im sure he can. Just tossed a number while on the cell and not double checking.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Daverage007 ( 62 )
BTown Regular

Post by Daverage007 »

Also see if the force you want to start has a battle box for around 90$ or so you get a good back bone of the army you want to field.... Either that or see if you can get either a 7th ed dark vengeance pack or storm claw if you were looking into blood angels and chaos or space wolves and orks both should come with a mini rule book templates (dark vengeance) and get you started into 40k from there
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

My addendum to the above is to know HOW you want to build your army BEFORE looking at the Battle Boxes. They often contain crap that you'll have NO DESIRE to play, once you know how to build a decent army.

Eric

Daverage007 ( 62 )
BTown Regular

Post by Daverage007 »

Absolutely and I suppose another true assessment would be how much can I honestly spend on 40k? When you look at the cost of rule books and codex at well over 100$ a starter force and basic hobby set up are going to push your starting investment towards 300$ if you need snips, files, paints brushes and other supplies it can seem overwhelming... You tube is a great place to start as you can find fluff for most armies and usually some helpful info about force setup and troop choices.

Another thing to look into is what's getting played alot at your local club/store and what formats they play in... If there are skirmish game nights or it use to be 40k in a flash 500 point battle set up you wouldn't need a lot to get started.

Building and playing 40k has been a hobby I've had for almost 20 years and one of the biggest things that has influenced what armies I've owned has been personal taste in the models themselves and love of the fluff... I played 4th edition alot and have owned dark eldar, necrons, and now am playing orks remember to have fun
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

I mean i was checking out amazon and i spotted paperback versions of the rules and codex. I guess i want to try to understand how different armourments change the values of the soldier in question. I don't know much about warhammer 40k but i figure how i construct the tau soldiers (they look the least scary to try to learn to paint) changes the related values.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

all paperback codexes are old versions. only necrons and blood angels are paperback. ba is about to be replaced in the next couple weeks. crons in january.?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Hmm, but are the paperback codexs new enough to be useful or not?
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

not. some can be 10+ years old.
points, special abilities, characters, can change.
They're ok for painting and fluff.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

JohnBlackhawk wrote:Hmm, but are the paperback codexs new enough to be useful or not?
Depends on who your playing and where. A buddy in a basement game....I wouldnt care. A local club's event more than likely not. A GW event....oh... I forgot. GW dosent have events.

Old codex books, if bought cheeply enough, are good for background stories and art work. I like to read them as it gives some insight as to how an army works so when I do get to play, I know what to look for.

Jason
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

The local GW store has leagues all the time. We just finished a 40k league and started a fantasy one. Might have LotR next. Also have a 2 man team 40k league either way.
He's trying to get a 2 store competition between his store and the next closest.

JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

Ok so how do i tell which codex edition is which? I mean i seen the picture on the website but i haven't seen pictures of the earlier edition books.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”