Starting a Sisters army with a Black Templar attachment

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: Starting a Sisters army with a Black Templar attachment

Post by 3eland »

Thanks MM for the follow up advice/comments.

We played both games tonight, Orks and Eldar. I won vs the Orks (barely on Turn 5) and he slaughtered me with Eldar by end of turn 4 (where I called it).

He is sending me his actual lists with upgrades and whatnot tomorrow.

For the Orks though, all of his Nobs had an invul save, FNP and the bikes had that Cover Save. What a hard unit to destroy.

Eldar was allied with Dark Eldar. I cannot believe how powerful the Lance weapons are. He had a ship that had 3 on them, two other ships with 1(maybe 2?-I'll know tomorrow) and a Wraithlord with 2(I think). That and the amount of shooting his transports can do (those shields they can shoot are strong) mixed with the Warp Spiders OMG.

I will write up both Battle Reports tomorrow. I took screen shots of each turn end so it'll help the visualization. However, as teasers, I shall show you the deployment pictures of each game.

Game 1 was vs the Orks and we rolled The Emperor's Will and Vanguard. Vanguard really messed with my deployment, I couldn't deploy things very well because of the terrain and the deployment zone. He went first (rolled for first and chose to keep it) so at least I knew his deployment beforehand. As you can see I had not much room to deploy, although I did deploy my Land Raider 26" away... in the Battle Report you will see how everything worked out.
The_Deployment_2.JPG
Game 2 was vs the Eldar and we rolled Big Guns Never Tire and Hammer and Anvil. I went first and chose to keep it, I figured it would be best to use that scout advantage and pop a tank turn one so he couldn't do his nasty shenanigans. I was completely blind in placement hoping to set things up in a way that would work. I don't think he brought anything we were discussing here on Bartertown (minus the Lances, a Seer and a Warlock)! I was completely unprepared and I think I just sunk the whole game (possibly crying a little). He rolled on the Warlord trait giving his Warlord and up to three non-vehicle units infiltrate. he gave it to the Warp Spiders and the guys inside the transport (and since they were in the transport it gave it to the transport). The thing that sucked the most was he went to roll to steal the initiative... AND STOLE IT. My whole plan was wiped, I knew I was in trouble. I may have even cried a little here too.
The_Deployment.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Just before I get banned. :)

Good job on the Ork game. Seize is tough. Is that Eldar or Dark Eldar?
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Invulnerable on Nobs? I know of NO WAY that is possible.
I can think of cover saves and FNP, but no invulnerables.
Color me confused.

Looking forward to seeing his lists and your tactics.

As for the DE... Yeah. Ravagers (3 Dark Lances) and Raiders (single Dark Lance) can do a # on vehicles. DE were my main army from the time their codex came out until a couple months before 7e (got a bit bored, so started trying other tactics). They can be devastating when combined with Eldar in the right way.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

MagickalMemories wrote:Invulnerable on Nobs? I know of NO WAY that is possible.
I can think of cover saves and FNP, but no invulnerables.
Color me confused.
Painboy + Cybork Bodies for a 5++
Standard fare for Nob Bikers.

As for the DE... Yeah. Ravagers (3 Dark Lances) and Raiders (single Dark Lance) can do a # on vehicles. DE were my main army from the time their codex came out until a couple months before 7e (got a bit bored, so started trying other tactics). They can be devastating when combined with Eldar in the right way.
Luckily they are paper planes. I would have focused down the Ravagers first with Exo/Retributor fire.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Cybork... I am ashamed.
I can't BELIEVE I forgot about that... and I've played ALL CYBORK armies on multiple occasions (the all grot cybork army was the BEST, though).

I absolutely agree, re: ravagers. They're target priority.
I always play 3. Typically, 2 have 3 Disintegrator Cannons each (Hvy 3, S5, AP2). That's 9 shots each of Terminator DOOM... especially if they're Guided by a Farseer and one with 3x Dark Lances. Sometimes, I'll switch the ratio. I almost NEVER go without at least one of each, though.
The low Armor works against them, but the Flickerfield is a life saver. I swear, my Flickerfield saves HAVE to be better than 50% over the life of my army. LOL

Against Ravagers, the trick is to get them dead ASAP.
Playing them, the trick is to (a) remember Flickerfield and... err.. Night... umm... Shields [? LOL I forget!] (b) try to keep them JUST in range of your target so you are hopefully OUT of their range (c) understand that they ARE going to die and you need to get the most kills out of them as possible,

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Battle Report: Sisters with Black Templar Ally VS Orks

<Intel Received, Start Transmitting>
<Play Message>

The Orks: 1,995 points
Warboss -120
-Big choppa
-Warbike
-Cybork body
-Bosspole

Warboss -105
-Power klaw
-Slugga
-Cybork body
-Bosspole
-'eavy armour

12 Lootas -180

12 Lootas -180

8 Big Boss's Nobz -560
-3× big choppa
-4× power klaw
-Waaagh! banner
-Warbikes
-Cybork bodies
-Painboy

10 Big Boss's Nobz -490
-4× big choppa
-5× power klaw
-10× 'eavy armour
-Waaagh! banner
-Cybork bodies
-Painboy

Trukk -50
-Red paint job
-Armour plates

Dakkajet -130
-Twin-linked supa shoota
-Fighta Ace

Dakkajet -130
-Twin-linked supa shoota
-Fighta Ace

Aegis Defence Line -50
<The Following Pictures Were Taken From A Satellite At The End Of Each Turn>

The Battlefield:

The Sisters (I still haven't made a name for them yet -if anyone has suggestions please comment!) with their faithful attachment of Black Templars received Intel of an Ork war-band attacking a low populated planet in the 23rd sector. The Astra Militarum were too far away to intercept the threat, and so the Sisters decided to handle it themselves. Upon arriving on the planet, it was easy to identify the likely travel the Orks would take and so the Sisters chose an area of what was an old, long forgotten battle, to intercept the Xenos scum.

The forests on either edge were thick, giving an advanced cover save not normal to the forests found in other sectors. Two large ruins of what might have been chapels or factories lay opposite each other, a third ruin laying to the south west. It was the large rock formations and left over battle debris that drew the Sisters to this section of the battlefield. They knew the Xenos scum would be accompanied by their strange weaponry. Guns that never tired, their bullets ricocheting with unworldly strength. Yes, the terrain would suit the Sisters, even if it did give the Orks a slight advantage as well.

The Deployment:

The Mission: The Emperor's Will
The Deplyoment: Vanguard
Night Fighting in affect.

The Ork war-band received the advantage of deploying first, setting up a Defense Line across their deployment zone. Smart for such dumb creatures, as the consistent 4+ cover would be handy vs the power of the Sister's shooting. A bike squad was left to patrol through the wreckage left between the line separation, a Trukk (with an ugly red paint job) was hidden in the thick forest to the north. There was no sight of the fliers that were said to accompany the Orks - perhaps their foolish technology failed them at last.

The Sisters deployed their Bastion beside the ruined footprint of whatever the previous building was. This would give the Sisters an advantage, being able to unload their firepower upon the majority of the field. The Exorcists, tanks with incredible firepower and survivability, were positioned inside the ruin; cover would be needed vs the Ork shooting. Saint Celestine positioned herself between the Bastion and the ruin, this would allow her to stay out of sight -an advantage to have during the first hours of combat. The rest of the vehicles were positioned in ways to negate the fast mobility of the Orks but to keep the advantage of assault. The Black Templar Land Raider stayed close to the edge of the deployment, but still far enough away that the Orks couldn't reach them -even with their high mobility.

The Battle:

Orks turn 1

Movement: The Trukk and bikes heading off down the battlefield, the mobility passing anything the Sisters had seen from an Ork. The Lootas stayed behind their Defense lines.

Shooting: Both Loota groups attempted to fire at the Sister's Exorcists, rolling a measly 1 shot each. Nothing was able to penetrate the armour of the Sisterhood! The Trukk continued to move forward, an attempt they may soon regret. The Bikes positioned themselves slightly forward, unusual behaviour for such a dense creature.

Sisters turn 1

Movement: The BT Land Raider moved forward, deploying the Terminator Assault Squad with the commanding Captain forward. They would gain the advantage of the surprise, assaulting the Ork Bikers! The Immolator attempted to move forward, hoping to give an advantage to the Melta-Gun wielding Dominions inside. Alas, one of the tracks got caught and snapped! Immobilized by the rubble (We were not sure if you could take a save vs the HP as there was nothing in the book- I did roll the 6++ though. We decided to just let it happen)! The Dominions decided to disembark, only being able to stay close to their now immobile tank. The Black Templar Crusaders moved forward with their Rhino and positioned it in a way to shield the Sisters behind them. They disembarked to the side, they were ready for a counter-assault when the time arose. Celestine, with her faithful Seraphim, moved behind the Land raider, they would start proceeding up the battlefield, taking close watch as to which combat needed the most of their deadly skills.

Shooting: With the rays of sunshine pouring over the horizon, many shots from the sisters were lost. Unfortunately, the only thing they could do was destroy the Trukk -which exploded with intense force (rolled a 1 on his table). This was of no issue however, as the battle had just started!

Assault: The Terminators proceeded to assault the Bike Squad. The distance was no more than 5 feet away (inches)! The Xenos scum fired back with their bike-mounted guns. 7 wounds were caused from the over-watch, and 2 terminators fell! However, they knew they could not stop and so continued forward, but the assault failed when only 4 feet was rolled for the advancement. They were stuck, unable to move!

Orks turn 2
(take note that for some reason the capture took the picture after I moved my Seraphim and Crusaders. So don't take mind to where they are positioned.)

Movement: Out of nowhere the sounds of jets could be heard. Sure enough two jets, or what looked like jets, emerged onto the battlefield. The Biker Squad moved up even further, positioning themselves for combat. Even the Orks that were in the Trukk started proceeding forward, thirsty for battle. At the end of the phase, the Bastion Quad gun went into full motion, shooting at one of the Jets, hoping to bring it down. The Jet chose to Jink, hoping to out-maneuver the bullets. Luckily two bullets penetrated, however it was not enough to bring it down.

Shooting: A loud, almost deafening scream could be heard amongst the Ork war-band. "Waaaaagh" or something was what was shouted, and for some odd reason, fire started burning in the eyes of the Orks! The untouched Jet shot off a round of shots at Celestine, the amount of bullets eventually penetrated her armour, instantly killing her. The remaining sisters took another 5 casualties. The Loots to the north were able to take two hull points off the BT Rhino, it was mere luck (or possibly bad Ork technology) that saved the Rhino. The Bikes shot the Terminators, the amount of bullets felling two more.

Assault: The Ork Bikers charged the Terminators, making it with the few feet they required. They even managed to split their assault, getting a single bike into combat with the Land Raider! The other mob of Orks attempted to assault the Crusaders, luckily they failed their assault!

Combat: The Ork Warboss challenged the Terminators, the Captain answering. The Ministorum priest was able to shout a War Hymn, giving the unit imaginary defensive capabilities. At the end of the combat, the terminators had won, but only by one wounds -something the large Orks seemed to not care about with their strange invulnerability to pain. Unfortunately they were able to make their Leadership call and stayed in combat!

Sisters turn 2

Movement: Celestine was reborn, she would not leave her Sisters now! She moved with her Seraphim up the battlefield, she would help the upcoming battle between the Orks and the Crusaders. The Crusaders positioned themselves in a way that they could assault the Orks without issue. The Dominions continued forward, their sites set on the Ork squad closest to them, they would help the Crusaders as much as possible. the southern Sister squad proceeded to move up, they would be needing to position themselves for when, if, the Bike Squad emerged from battle. Finally, the BT Rhino closed it's doors and proceeded to position itself for a possible emergency embarkment from the Crusaders.

Shooting: The Bastion unloaded its full firepower into the unscathed Jet. The Retributors taking note to pray first, giving their shots the rending capability. As if guided by their faith, the bullets pierced through the Jet, the explosion could be seen across the entire battlefield. Next, the Land Raider, guided by the Machine Spirit did a single Glance on the other Jet, luckily bringing it too, down to the ground. The northern Exorcist plunged shots heavily into the northern Lootas, killing three of the vile beings and creating panic. The explosion from the Jets and the felling of their brothers must have been the last straw -they ran, proceeding off the battlefield! If that wasn't enough to boost the Sister's faith, it was the last amount of shooting from the Dominions, Rhinos and Celestine that killed a small amount of Orks, giving the Crusaders that much less to deal with.

Assault: The Crusaders assaulted the Ork mob, easily reaching them without casualty. Celestine attempted to join in, however the charge was only 2 feet too short! She would have to watch the combat from afar.

Combat: The Ork Boss challenged the Crusaders, the Priest having to step up due to the lack of any other seasoned warrior. Being able to use Celestines wisdom, the Priest sang out his War Hymn, giving the Crusaders an inhuman strength at wounding. Many Orks fell to the raged attacks from the Crusaders (re-roll to hit and wound is deadly with 3 attacks each), unfortunately so did 4 Crusaders and the priest! Fortunately the orks lost their morale, failed their Leadership call and were slayed like the ravage dogs they were by the Crusaders. Over at the Terminator combat, things did not go as good. The Priest sang his War Hymn and gave the terminators the ungodly defensive power, but it was not enough. The entire squad was destroyed, only having dealt two more wounds to the savage Orks.

Orks turn 3

Movement: the Ork Bike Squad moved up, they would try to assault the Sister Rhino that was unfortunately behind the Land Raider. The last Loota Squad stayed where they were, they would watch from afar to see what their brothers would do.

Shooting: The Bikers attempted to shoot down the Rhino, unfortunately not being able to destroy it!

Assault: The Ork Bike Squad assault the Land Raider and Rhino as a split charge. Obviously being able to make it. The Sisters over-watched their Flamers into the Orks and was able to wound one! That was all though, as the Orks ripped apart the Rhino and took the Land Raider down to 1 Hull point (There was nothing in the book that said whether or not the Sisters would have died since they were surrounded like it did in the old book hence why the Sisters are chilling there. I however just gave it to him and killed them. It only made sense.).

Sister turn 3

Movement: The Sisters moved up, closer to the Orks so they could unload their full fire power upon them. Surely the Orks would fall to the incredible amount of bullets. Even the Crusaders and their Rhino continued forward, they would not stop until all Xenos scum was dead.

Shooting: Everything the Sisters had left poured into the Orks. By some chance, the black fumes of the Bikes paired with their resistance to pain kept the most of them alive. 4 Orks were dead, the others looks severely wounded, but it was not enough to stop the battle crazed creatures!

Assault: No one decided to assault the Orks, they would leave that to them, possibly giving them another round to shoot.

Orks turn 4
<Picture Corrupted, Satellite Repositioning>
(I forgot to take a pic LOL)

Movement: The Orks knew they needed to fell the Bastion. The moved forward, readying their bikes.

Shooting: Nothing was done here, as the Ork firepower was not strong enough to penetrate the Bastion walls.

Assault: Sure enough, the Orks assaulted the Bastion. The Sisters inside Over-watching with the full might of the Emperor. Two Orks fell, but was it enough?

Combat: The intense power of the Orks took the Bastion down to 1 Hull point, unfortunately the Sisters took casualties from the damage and panicked. Fleeing off the battlefield!

Sisters turn 4

Movement: Celestine and the rest of the army positioned themselves to shoot the remaining Orks. They would not allow the Xenos scum to live any longer.

Shooting: Unloading the full amount of what was left, the Sisters were able to kill all but the Warboss and a single faithful brother. The Land raider, unable to move, fire off some rounds into the Lootas, killing one!

Assault: Celestine pondered at whether to assault or not, however she decided to stay back, let the Orks come to her. perhaps they could keep them at bay with some last firepower?

Orks turn 5

Movement: The Orks moved into position of Celestine, the Ork Boss had anger in his eyes. It seemed he would try and finish Celestine off if it killed himself in the process.

Shooting: The Orks attempted to shoot down Celestine, but her exceptional speed and powerful armour kept the bullets away!

Assault: As Celestine had thought, the Orks charged her. Unfortunately nothing was done on the Over-watch as the Orks shrugged off all hits.

Combat: Celestine was able to wound the Ork Boss but not kill it entirely. Unfortunately Celest fell and the Orks moved towards the objective the Sisters were guarding.

Sisters turn 5

Movement: The Crusaders moved into the bastion, taking control of the weapons that weren't destroyed in the previous attack. The rest of the Sisters moved into position to lay down the last firepower they could manage.

Shooting: With the Orks being weakened, the last push of shooting finally killed the Ork Warboss and his last comrade. It was close, but the amount of bullets finally punched their way through their defenses. The Ork player announced defeat, as his Lootas could not take on the final remaining regiments.

Conclusion:

The battle was tough, the terrain was unforgiving, and the enemy Intel was not good enough to prepare the Sisters with what they faced. Orks with an unusual invulnerability to pain was the last thing the Sisters thought to expect. Alas, by the final push of battle, the Sisters were victorious. They were able to defeat the Ork threat, they were able to protect the inhabitants of the planet once more.

Many fell on the battlefield that day. Celestine was thought to have been slayed, but with luck only her faith could have had she was deemed alive. Alive to live another battle, to defeat another foe.

<Stop Message>
<Transmission Ended>

My thoughts:

Wow, what a fight! I could not believe how tough those Orks were with a 4+ cover, a 5+ invul and FNP! My Terminators though, I felt so sad LOL. Two killed from over-watch, and then failing their assault. I enjoyed the battle, it was really fun. My opponent was going to forfeit at the end of turn 4 but I told him to do one last round. He then proceeded to kill Celestine LOL.

Overall the Sisters did very well, the list worked wonders.

Now for you guys! Thoughts? Comments? Advice? Etc?

Let me know how your thoughts on how I played the game out and what you may have done differently. It's all about learning and becoming a better general after all!

Sisters vs Eldar BatRep shall be posted tomorrow!
~Ryan~

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

pretre wrote:
Luckily they are paper planes. I would have focused down the Ravagers first with Exo/Retributor fire.
Yeah I knew the DE ships needed to die but he had Night Shields on them, I was in range... but then I wasn't because of the lack of 6".. which, surprisingly, makes a HUGE difference. I'm sure when I put the BatRep up you guys can tell me what to do better next time LOL. I lasted until turn 4 (where I called it, he was ahead by VP and there was no way I could catch up in time), and felt I did okay going into it blindly but I know I should have done things a lot differently.

Oh well, all about having fun (with the occasional cry) and learning new tactics!

One thing that I found weird was how Celestine doesn't have Eternal Warrior or at least T4. I understand she is just a human female but she comes back from the dead!

Also, with the fun I have been having with the Sisters, I am actually pondering on having a full 2k list of Sisters too (So I would have the Ally one and an all out one).
~Ryan~

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Nice battle report! Yeah, Celestine's downside is T3 and getting insta-gibbed by S6. :)
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

pretre wrote:Nice battle report! Yeah, Celestine's downside is T3 and getting insta-gibbed by S6. :)
Thanks!

Yeah, the 2+ 4++ helps but with a lot of shots eventually you will fail and POP!

I was going to post the VS Eldar BatRep Saturday but was distracted and Sunday we did a 15k vs 15k apoc game so haven't had time.
~Ryan~

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”