Did GW ever make resin rhinos for Epic?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

J.MorganKuberry ( 40 )
Journeyman Trader

Did GW ever make resin rhinos for Epic?

Post by J.MorganKuberry »

So,
I think I got ripped off? I got a batch of 8 rhinos for Epic 40k on ebay. They were spray primed in the pic which was no problem, but now that I got them, they appear to be resin cast forgeries of GW's older rhinos. Or am I wrong, and GW used to sell resin rhinos? I doubt that they did but.. maybe they did. The history of the company is long and varied. These seem to be very low detail though, the resin is solid under/between the tank treads They look like someone took a plastic rhino, poured latex around it to make a mold, popped the rhino out, and cast them upside down, in tan resin. Again, I COULD be wrong, did GW ever sell something like this? Maybe resin rhinos that came in a blister with bits to make them into whirlwinds or something?
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Re: Did GW ever make resin rhinos for Epic?

Post by imp522 »

No they didn't, I'm 99% sure Forgeworld didn't either. If FW did they wouldn't have been solid between the tracks like you describe.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

I have a GW catalog from 1998. It shows EPIC SM preds, vinds and razorbacks as multi part metal. No rinos shown. I sold a collection of SM EPIC some time ago and the rinos in the collection were plastic. I have never played EPIC so after this I have no idea if GW made them in resin.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Pretty sure it is a forgery, that's one thing you have to watch out for online. I ordered some warhammer models from an eBayer in Malaysia and when they came in you could tell it was a forged copy (even the bases were poured replicas as they were solid chunks of resin). I however wasn't worried as the detail was still that of the regular model and I paid like half the cost. But you have to be careful with eBay, anything to get a quick buck and warhammer is a good way to make that buck, it's so easy to take the sprue and cast your own mold from it. Not to mention, how many people actually look at the material it is made in and can tell if it is forged? Getting that missing model for super cheap is usually the only thing they care about as long as the detail is not washed away by bad molds.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

Ive reported a few sellers for selling recasts of GW works. Usually though its the LE stuff like GD or WD models.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Pics?
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

Alot of fakes coming out of russia and other ex-russian states on ebay.

I had alot of eppic. None were resin
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
J.MorganKuberry ( 40 )
Journeyman Trader

These were out of Ohio. I think you can check out the original listing picture here:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Games-Workshop-W ... ~60_57.JPG

I'll try and take pictures of my own tomorrow. There was some loss of detail, I thought it was due to thick primer but now it looks like its from the amateur casting job. I don't REALLY care that much, its possible I'll never get my friends to play Epic anyhow, but before I sent a heads up to GW and gave the guy negative feedback I wanted to be sure. I'll contact the seller first and see what he proposes for a remedy. I'm not paying a dime to ship them back to him though.
The Grey Knight ( 20 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by The Grey Knight »

Those are the original rhinos for epic, 99.9% sure those only came in plastic. and were allways hollow on the bottom.
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

tordeck wrote:Ive reported a few sellers for selling recasts of GW works. Usually though its the LE stuff like GD or WD models.

There used to be a guy called Mac Ace or something like that, who was notorious for casting older and LE figs. Nobody could have possibly had as many LE figs in the quantities he had.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

J.MorganKuberry wrote:These were out of Ohio. I think you can check out the original listing picture here:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Games-Workshop-W ... ~60_57.JPG

I'll try and take pictures of my own tomorrow. There was some loss of detail, I thought it was due to thick primer but now it looks like its from the amateur casting job. I don't REALLY care that much, its possible I'll never get my friends to play Epic anyhow, but before I sent a heads up to GW and gave the guy negative feedback I wanted to be sure. I'll contact the seller first and see what he proposes for a remedy. I'm not paying a dime to ship them back to him though.
Yeah those are the plastics recast in resin. contact ebay and tell them they fakes. They'll suspend his acount or cancel it.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
J.MorganKuberry ( 40 )
Journeyman Trader

I sent him a message. I don't think he's the one doing the casting, but I informed him he sold me a forgery of a licensed product.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

J.MorganKuberry wrote:I sent him a message. I don't think he's the one doing the casting, but I informed him he sold me a forgery of a licensed product.
That doesn't matter. Eby will still penalize him.
I work with a guy who sells alot of stuff on ebay. He goes to garage sales, swap shops and storage bays sales and buys alot of different stuff.
Last week he was suspended for 1 week for selling fake iphone covers. He bought them in a box of stuff from a guy at a swap shop. They're in packages that look exactly like the originals. The only way to tell they're fake, is they were never made in this color. He didn't know that.
He got a message saying he was suspended from ebay, after selling some. They said the items are claimed to be fake by the manufacturer. He said he didn't know and how was he to tell? They told him about the color.
It seems that the workers in China, make them in this color, and then sneak them out of the plant and sell them them on the blackmarket, usually online. The guy he bought them from could have got them that way or even from someone else.

Bottom line, you don't have to know thy're fake, you just hve to be the one selling them.
If you get caught doing this enough, ebay will cancel your account.

J.MorganKuberry ( 40 )
Journeyman Trader

Well thanks a ton for your help everyone! I am also contacting people at Games Workshop to see if they care about this.
psiekier ( 240 )
Resident Trader

Post by psiekier »

npd_bigdaddy wrote:
tordeck wrote:Ive reported a few sellers for selling recasts of GW works. Usually though its the LE stuff like GD or WD models.
There used to be a guy called Mac Ace or something like that, who was notorious for casting older and LE figs. Nobody could have possibly had as many LE figs in the quantities he had.
There's a "droste1971" that I am certain is selling forgeries on eBay. Like you say, npd_bigdaddy, there's no possible way he could have acquired so many limited edition figures. That all of his auctions are private (so you can't comb through his feedback log to look for evidence) is another dead giveaway.
kturock wrote:Alot of fakes coming out of russia and other ex-russian states on ebay.
Emperor's Teeth! Isn't that the truth? I put together some saved queries for my eBay shopping that look for the terms I like and exclude the ones I don't like, but eBay has yet to allow us to filter on multiple countries.

I really only want to buy from US, UK, and Canada (Australian postage is too costly), and I'd rather not sift through four pages of Forgeworld forgeries from Russia.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”