Is Armored Company IG still legal anymore?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Re: Is Armored Company IG still legal anymore?

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

I Love themed lists, I could never play a cut throat win at all costs list.

I used to play an all wych army, with Hellions and Reavers in 3rd/4th, before DE really got the screw job on transports in 5th. Might bring them out again for this edition again

I love playing IG with all the abhumans even though they suck. And roughriders. I converted all my Cadian roughriders to be riding termagaunts.........

I love playing Space wolves with actual wolf packs........imagine that.

All mono Khorne lists for Chaos and demons........

To me the fluff and the story is 3/4ths the fun
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

tordeck wrote:As far as I know it is no longer a legal army.
A whole page of discussion based on some mininformation...

Actually, it's just been renamed, like Daemon Hunters was renamed Grey Knights. It's now called Armored Battlegroup.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/I ... GUARD.html

This has the updated rules, with some changes. I hear some people were annoyed by the changes, I didn't notice a ton, but I never played Armored Company.

It's going to be very difficult to win by objective (no special rules about tanks counting as scoring) but at least it's still legal.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

I just want to be able to field the minis/tanks again, that were AC specific like the Leman Russ Destroyer, Salamanders, Leman Russ whatever it was that didn't scatter, etc.

Those were different, made it cool..........
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

spiralingcadaver wrote:

Actually, it's just been renamed, like Daemon Hunters was renamed Grey Knights. It's now called Armored Battlegroup.

This has the updated rules, with some changes. I hear some people were annoyed by the changes, I didn't notice a ton, but I never played Armored Company.

It's going to be very difficult to win by objective (no special rules about tanks counting as scoring) but at least it's still legal.

But holy yikes, if I have to buy an 80 dollar freaking book just to use my army, that's insane.

Then again it is 294 pages which by comparison makes the new and less improved $50 codexes which are only 100 pages seem like an oustanding value........ :-?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Did you mean to say that it makes the codices look like an outstanding or IT looks like an outstanding value in comparison?

I think, if you look at the cost, 160% of the price for 294% of the pages is the better deal by far. Also, the book is a higher quality.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

spiralingcadaver wrote:

FW is not legal in just about every tournament setting and I know very few gaming clubs that allow it either as its rules are generally overpowered and unbalanced. So unless the OP has a really easy going meta then for all intents and purposes this thread has had no misinformation as AC is illegal to field.
Buying or Trading, Lower Rating Ships First.
I Trade within the United States only.
I only use and accept Cash App or USPS Money Orders for payments.

The Dark City
npd_bigdaddy ( 348 )
Expert Trader

Post by npd_bigdaddy »

MagickalMemories wrote:Did you mean to say that it makes the codices look like an outstanding or IT looks like an outstanding value in comparison?

I think, if you look at the cost, 160% of the price for 294% of the pages is the better deal by far. Also, the book is a higher quality.

Eric

Basically I meant to say that by comparison, the new codexes are craptastical for what you get VS cost. By comparison this FW book would seem like a super value.

I know that's for another thread but what in the world GW is thinking charging 50 bucks for the same codex but with a not so fancy hardback cover and then adding 20 bucks to the price is insane............

I used to buy ALL the codexes when they would come out, just so I could "know thy enemy" and read the fluff and other things. Yeah, no way in God's Green Earth that's happening now. I will buy the books and ONLY the books I need to run my armies that I play and even then it will be when they've been out for a while and I can get them at a discount rate.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

tordeck wrote:FW is not legal in just about every tournament setting and I know very few gaming clubs that allow it either as its rules are generally overpowered and unbalanced. So unless the OP has a really easy going meta then for all intents and purposes this thread has had no misinformation as AC is illegal to field.
Overpowered?
Do you have a lot of experience using FW stuff, or are you repeating what others have told you?
No insult intended, of course. I'm just trying to get a baseline.

My group freely uses FW models. Granted, you can't throw a Gargantuan Squiggoth or Warhound Titan in a game without forewarning your opponent - that's crazy. Provided you're following the rules, though, they're not that powerful. In fact, some things just aren't worth taking at all.

You're right about tournies and stuff, though. Many/most just don't allow it.
npd_bigdaddy wrote:I used to buy ALL the codexes when they would come out, just so I could "know thy enemy" and read the fluff and other things. Yeah, no way in God's Green Earth that's happening now. I will buy the books and ONLY the books I need to run my armies that I play and even then it will be when they've been out for a while and I can get them at a discount rate.
I was the same way. Not anymore. I won't even buy them from a discount seller, anymore. If I ever find a used one that I'm interested in, I'll consider it, but that's it.
I play SM, CSM, DE, Necrons and Orks. If it's not one of those codices, I'm not bothering. Even then, like you, I'm buying them from a retailer who offers a discount, or it's not happening.

I can't say I'd ever do it, but I know there are many people out there who now download the codices (illegally), exclusively, who used to be the guys buying them all.
It's just too much, now.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

MagickalMemories wrote:
tordeck wrote:FW is not legal in just about every tournament setting and I know very few gaming clubs that allow it either as its rules are generally overpowered and unbalanced. So unless the OP has a really easy going meta then for all intents and purposes this thread has had no misinformation as AC is illegal to field.
Overpowered?
Do you have a lot of experience using FW stuff, or are you repeating what others have told you?
No insult intended, of course. I'm just trying to get a baseline.
I've been out of 40k for about a year now so anything modern I have not had a chance to read up on. But previous to that I have read IAs 1-8/9 and have played against it on a couple occasions and I based my comments on that and what I have talked with others about since I started gaming in 2004.

The Dark City
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

I feel like FW stuff used to be very overpowerd, back when I first got into 40k, so you're talking around 2002/2003. Of course, back then FW was Super-heavy tanks and the like, so there wasn't much you had that could match up. Now I feel like FW is much more balanced. Sure, there are plenty of undercosted or overpowered elements, but there are undercosted and overpowered elements in GW publications. Ever fight Abaddon? And consider the fact that a Space Wolf Grey Hunter is the same cost as a regular Space Marine, has all of the same gear and special rules AND gains a chainsword and Counter-attack. To a vanilla marine player, they're either undercosted or overpowered. Compare a Grey Knight to a Space Marine, same thing. So it really comes down to what you're comparing these FW models against. A comtemptor dread is more powerful than a regular dread, but is it more powerful than a forgefiend? And after all, if there weren't SOMETHING about those FW models, no one would buy them. Why spend the extra cash on a comtemptor dread if it's no better than a GW one I can buy for cheaper in plastic? And if you simply increase the cost, again no one will buy it.

I haven't fought against too many new FW things, but I've never found them to be game-enders in the past. And considering the fact that sixth edition seems to be moving in the direction of including, well, damn near everything, I have a feeling you're going to see FW in tournaments within a few years' time.

Also, I've been meaning to check out the revamp of IA One. I'm glad to hear they've also revamped the Armoured Company list, because that's a great one.
tordeck ( 248 )
Expert Trader

Post by tordeck »

reegsk wrote: And considering the fact that sixth edition seems to be moving in the direction of including, well, damn near everything, I have a feeling you're going to see FW in tournaments within a few years' time.
Most if not all of the Major GTs have put rules in place to stop GW's terrible rule writing from breaking open competitive play. So no I would not expect to see FW ever be included in competitive environments.

The Dark City
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

As a matter of fact, the Bay Area last week end authorized FW stamped with 40k.

The idea of FW overpowered is quite common in the US, i've found while it is more broadly accepted aboard. Both clubs i played with in France, clubs in Canada and games i had in UK were pretty happy to have FW stuff n the tables. I think the perception of FW being overpowered comes from the lack of knowledge of their rules and models, the same way all nex dex coming from GW is overpowered until everyone finds a way to deal with it. FW models being less common, their rules stay in that drak area of fear of the unknown and hear-say (Bols, for example, while big fans of FW, the majority of their readers hates FW)

I recall a game i played with my Elysians in Valks/Vedettas against a Salamander net list (land raider, flamers, termies spam), On paper, i should have lost that game as my army wasn't competitive at all, i won because the guy didn't know what he was facing and was unable to react, after the game he said FW lists are overpowered... see the catch 22

A good exemple is the Lucius drop pod, everybody sees the ability to charge on the turn it arrives but seems to forget it cost twice the price of a normal pod.

Reegsk has a point also when he stated that early FW models were only super heavies which for their cost and the setting back then (3rd edition, remember rhino rush time...) they were really impressive.

Talking about FW, just finished IA 11, and that Corsair list is quite interessing....

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
mardaddy601 ( 260 )
Expert Trader

Post by mardaddy601 »

My knowledge of FW rules is only the free .pdf's they give - I have never bought or even held one of their hard-copy official update books.

That being said, my go-to army for the last three years hgas been Orks, and all the free 'pdf's I've seen for the Ork FW stuff (in my opinion) makes them non-competitive. If one is playing to try to win, it is not worth the points to put on the table.

BUT - if one is putting them on the table for enhancing a theme or wants the humor and randomness that Orks are famous for - well, they work, providing you are still willing to shell out the cash for that theme & humor.

Just my (limited exposure) opinion on just the Ork FW stuff that I had access to checking out.
None of these things are VITAL, this is a HOBBY. A hobby we enjoy, but still, a HOBBY.

Lower rating ships or pays 1st, myself included. Used to be more flexible; but was burned in recent months by a few newbies. If 200+ feedback w/no negs and 10+ years member is not enough to be trusted, well, like I said - none of this is VITAL.
MEDEVL ( 362 )
Expert Trader

Post by MEDEVL »

The problem with ALL of the Ork stuff, especially the expensive, large FW vehicles is the rear armor of 10. It's hard to justify so many points on stuff that can get killed by a basic infantryman's lucky shot.
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”