CHaos new codex and models on GW advance order

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

CHaos new codex and models on GW advance order

Post by kturock »

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... tyle=wh40k

the codex is either $83 for the LE book, 1000 copies or $50 for the new HARDBACK book.. WTF? Hardback and $50?

$29 to $33 to $50?
No way...
The new models look kool.. but what about the old stuff? They gonna make them all obsolete?
The models are $$ and finecast...

deathknell of chaos or the resurgance of the 2ndary market?
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Bulkoth ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Re: CHaos new codex and models on GW advance order

Post by Bulkoth »

I sort of like the new kits but I'm with you on the codex being obscenely priced.
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

It's a big jump for 40k, but Fantasy was almost there already. The last few army books have all been hardcover for $46.

My friends and I were talking about this, and I'm not sure what other new kits they're really going to get. Terminators have a new-ish plastic kit, and considering the fact that they haven't done anything with SM terminators or tactical marines in YEARS, I doubt they'll update the CSM ones. Chosen could use a plastic kit, but will probably get finecast models a la Sternguard/Vanguard veterans. Maybe. Or you may just end up having to still convert your own (or buying Dark Vengeance and having the same six models as everyone else). Cultists will (hopefully) get a plastic kit, but if IG are any indication you'll be shelling out $25 for ten, meaning a full squad will cost you $75. . .for about 100 points.

But what else will they release in plastic? Unless they're adding in more new units that no one's heard of, the new units are covered. I doubt bikes will get a new kit, as they're in the new battalion box. They're vehicles are in line with the SM ones, so likely no update there. Raptors are getting a new plastic kit. Possessed have an old plastic kit. And Oblits/those close combat oblits are all set. I don't see much other room for new kits.

But I also don't understand how that makes the old kits obsolete? You can still buy the terminator and marine boxes and use them. Heck, the CSM terminator kit was one of the best plastic 40k kits for a long time. And they're not really replacing much, except for the Raptors, and you can still use the old models just fine.
Adunaphel ( 810 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Adunaphel »

$50 for the new codex is INSANE. Yet another GW screw up. Silly.

I guess they figure that a Codex should be like a coffee table art book.

More mismanagement from GW.

Karl
My Bartertown References.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Yeah. It's a crock... Fifty bucks and a hard cover for a book that's going to be obsolete in 5-6 years.
Sorry, but I really do not feel like I get $10 a year usage out of a codex.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

5-6? more like 3-4. that how often new rules come out and codexes need a rerelease or be worthless.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Well like I said in a past posting. By GW releaseing figures in the Dark Vengence box set with no rules. Gw has set them selves up good by forceing people that want to play with

chaos again to buy the new chaos codex no mater what the price. Plus the fact that the new oblits are 3 for 52.00 and bubble crazy resin versus 3 of the orignal all metal designs

for 15.00 each(thats 45.00 for three) thats a 7.00 increase right there. And the fact that GW knows the new resin figures have bubbles so they sell you an additional bubbles filler.

If you go to any store today you will see the huge price increases in everyday items. Christ a .35 pack of Wrigleys Juicey Fruit now costs about 1.35. Everything is going up a doller

or more at a time. And yet all I see is a percentage raise 1-4% . This is the reason more and more people are going with growing thier own gardens, makeing thier own beer and

buying soler panels to power their homes. And now companies are releaseing materials to help gamers copy and reproduce figures at a cheaper cost. And thats GW and other

gameing companies excuse for price increases. Well if thier prices werent as high as a girraf's butt in the first place gamers wouldnt need to copy and reproduce in the first place.

Or better yet look for other games instead of GW and privateer press. And yes I did go to my local gameing shop and payed for my copy of the Chaos Codex ahead of time.

Reason is I have tons of stuff sitting in my game room since 4th edition. And Im hopeing I can finally build the ideas and armies I had planned for before. Other wise if this codex is

another sorry excuse like the last one all my GW stuff will end up on ebay and Batertown. And then I'll just pay off all my credit cards and buy that new Dodge Challenger.

Nightlord
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Well like I said in a past posting. By GW releaseing figures in the Dark Vengence box set with no rules. Gw has set them selves up good by forceing people that want to play with chaos again to buy the new chaos codex no mater what the price. Plus the fact that the new oblits are 3 for 52.00 and bubble crazy resin versus 3 of the orignal all metal designs for 15.00 each(thats 45.00 for three) thats a 7.00 increase right there. And the fact that GW knows the new resin figures have bubbles so they sell you an additional bubbles filler.
The "no rules" is not true. There are rules for using the models in the box... just not points values, etc. That's really nothing new, though. There were no points values for the Kopters in the last edition. That was in the rulesbook. It just happens that the box came out before the book this time.
As for Oblits... They haven't been $15 for a while. Last I saw, they were $22 or $25 each. The new box set is a rare GW price decrease.
If you go to any store today you will see the huge price increases in everyday items. Christ a .35 pack of Wrigleys Juicey Fruit now costs about 1.35. Everything is going up a doller or more at a time. And yet all I see is a percentage raise 1-4% . This is the reason more and more people are going with growing thier own gardens, makeing thier own beer and buying soler panels to power their homes. And now companies are releaseing materials to help gamers copy and reproduce figures at a cheaper cost. And thats GW and other gameing companies excuse for price increases. Well if thier prices werent as high as a girraf's butt in the first place gamers wouldnt need to copy and reproduce in the first place.
Casting equipment has been around for a long time. My brother used to get catalogs for it all the time when I was a young teen. Also, while I agree that they're overprices, gamers don't (all) recast because they "need" to. Many do it because they WANT to. They don't WANT to spend the money that, really, they could afford. They'd rather have it cheaper. That's nothing new, though. Counterfeiting has been around as long as there have been things to counterfeit.

Or better yet look for other games instead of GW and privateer press. And yes I did go to my local gameing shop and payed for my copy of the Chaos Codex ahead of time.

Reason is I have tons of stuff sitting in my game room since 4th edition. And Im hopeing I can finally build the ideas and armies I had planned for before. Other wise if this codex is another sorry excuse like the last one all my GW stuff will end up on ebay and Batertown. And then I'll just pay off all my credit cards and buy that new Dodge Challenger.
Sorry excuse?
I've got to disagree again. When the CSM codex came out (during 4e, I might add), it was top notch. Chaos armies decimated opponents left and right. At first, you could have a Tzeentch biker that, when he turbo boosted, got a 2+ Invulnerable save. That was crazy-powerful. Of course, 5e calmed it down a bit, but it was still tough for a long time. Codex creep finally kicked in. That's what made the codex seem so bad. In actuality, it's not a bad codex at all... it's just that recent FAQ's and more powerful codices have really limited it.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
eman1_2 ( 278 )
Resident Trader

Post by eman1_2 »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Sorry excuse?
I've got to disagree again. When the CSM codex came out (during 4e, I might add), it was top notch. Chaos armies decimated opponents left and right. At first, you could have a Tzeentch biker that, when he turbo boosted, got a 2+ Invulnerable save. That was crazy-powerful. Of course, 5e calmed it down a bit, but it was still tough for a long time. Codex creep finally kicked in. That's what made the codex seem so bad. In actuality, it's not a bad codex at all... it's just that recent FAQ's and more powerful codices have really limited it.

Eric
And, Grey Knights will still probably beat up the new Chaos codex, too.

Not happy about a $50 book, but buying it so I can finally re-field the Iron Warriors I have wanted to do for a really long time.
Mike

- A simple 'not interested' to a trade offer is just being polite. It helps people setting up multiple trades know where they stand.
- Google something for someone, they get an answer. Teach someone how to Google their own answer, they own the Internet.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

You get beat up by GK's?
My Dark Eldar fear no GK.

Looking forward to Iron Warriors.

Eric

eman1_2 ( 278 )
Resident Trader

Post by eman1_2 »

Dark Eldar are the only ones who can beat up the local GK list. He runs with about 30 terminators, and the DE shooting is the only thing that can peel all the 2+ armor saves.

But, the local DE list is the most hated / feared list I have seen here.
Mike

- A simple 'not interested' to a trade offer is just being polite. It helps people setting up multiple trades know where they stand.
- Google something for someone, they get an answer. Teach someone how to Google their own answer, they own the Internet.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

and stil nothing to stop the SM drop pod spam. DP assault is cheese. not counting the 2 types of flyer transports. can only be hit on a 6, have good armor and great weapons..
and yet CSM can't figure out how to fly or have a deamon transport them. new deamon fly now gives them about the same as the DE flyer.

Nids have both.. wow.. so the collective nid hive mind is smarter than all of the chaos gods combined.

I'll tell you know. I'm not paying $50 for the codex. i haven't decided about the new models, maulers and the flyer.. $75 is utter BS. I can buy a better made model jet for $50. More parts and better built. So don't give me the model price is expensive. it's just GW greed.
Last edited by kturock on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

and stil nothing to stop the SM drop pod spam. DP assault is cheese. not counting the 2 types of flyer transports. can only be hit on a 6, have good armor and great weapons..
and yet CSM can't figure out how to fly or have a deamon transport them. new deamon fly now gives them about the same as the DE flyer.
Well, the new codex should have enough tricks to help combat that DP spam. Not allowing "proxies" would help, too. ; )
What do you mean by "DP assault?" I only know of 1 type of DP that allows you to assault from it, and it's a FW model... and I'm not sure it's available to infantry.

I'll tell you know. I'm not paying $50 for the codex. i haven't decided about the new models, maulers and the flyer.. $75 is utter BS. I can buy a better made model jet for $50. More parts and better built. So don't give me the model price is expensive. it's just GW greed.
Don't blame you on the 'dex. I've got one coming in trade, or I wouldn't have one, either. Same for the new models. I think they look cool as Hell, but I'm not forking over those prices. I'll convert, buy non-GW or do without.
Totally right on the model pricing, too!
[oh, btw. If I find someone selling knock off's for less, I'll buy them as long as the quality is there. I have no loyalty to GW since they never had any for me. I bought rules books the day of release, and then had the rules completely change to make them worthless. ie. 2nd ed. vehicles book, was released and then obsolete 1 month later. It was $35 in the 80's, so at least as much as a codex now.]
By "knock offs," I'm certain you're talking about substitute models from secondary manufacturers and not pirated copies. Right? : ) : ) Right? :mrgreen: :wink:
I'm not a big fan of the current rule set. Fortunately, my DE do well with them (suffered only my 2nd loss last weekend and that was only because my dice decided to crap out on me). We'll see how the new codices do. Clearly, it's a shooting edition, so anything that goes HtH heavy is going to get hammered.
I'm wondering if Khorne models are even going to sell in the 6e environment. I know I don't think I'll be buying them, even second hand.
I remember that vehicles book. I thought it was ridiculous that they did that. WotC did that, too, with 3.5 to 4e, I think... sold stuff right up until the conversion. Bah.

Eric

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

No I mean drop pod assault. where the sm player can have up to half his force arrive on t1 after set up via dp. they place them usually in the middle of the other players units and then have a free round of shooting.

darn skippy I'll use proxies. right now I'm using DElf witch elves as DEldar witch elves.

Almost all th deamons are HTH and nerfed..same with horde orks and nids.. but there are ways around it.

I personaly like more about 6e than I have since 2nd ed. guns now shoot, not just are used as clubs in HTH.. HTH still sux.. no matter how good you are, even a WS of 8 vs a WS of 2, you only hit on a 3+. I just found the rule that all models can move in a unit and the trooper with the heavy can not move, and not have to take a snap shot. I completely read by it when reading the rules.
I like the over watch and shap shot rules..

the game is dynamic, yet you couldn't shoot the guys moving towards you.
I like true LoS. I like that the models you see get killed. The models in the front die, and the models in the back don't get a free move to 'fill in the gaps.

I don't like that cover is almost worthless vs alot of 'standard' weapons. by standard, I mean weapons that everyone takes, not the generic standard issued weapon.

the new chaos cultists, according to the battle report in WD, have BS weapons.. ok fine.. they're cheap screening troops.. like IG used to be. and grots used to be. everyone had them. only veterans and elites had better/tougher weapons.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”