Necromunda terrain reloaded

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Necromunda terrain reloaded

Post by ssapper »

Hello everyone any help making an idea of mine into a reality would be awesome! So while on vacation I had the thought to replace the card board from necromunda with more stable plastic sheets. So I am looking to see if anyone has attempted this before. And if anyone has a link to some good plastic dealers. And lastly since I am still on vacation could someone measure the gap apace on the plastic bulkheads for me. Please and thanx in advance!
Again any help would be awesome!

ERIC
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Necromunda terrain reloaded

Post by spiralingcadaver »

For Sale signs (and the like, found at hardware stores) are the cheapest way of getting heavy plasticard. I've done this, it's pretty fast. Sorry, don't know the gap...
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

Yep, been there, done that. works quite well. Don't recall the gap size and it's all up in the attic.
Don "MONDO"
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

No worries about the gap size. I will be home shortly. Thanks for the advice. I will make a pit stop at the hardware sore this week. Don I would love to see what work you have already accomplished. I might even consider buying it if your not putting it to users anymore. And what else are you hiding in the attic?????
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

I'll dig through it sometime over the next week. Just had hernia surgery so it may be a few days before I feel capable of getting it down. I'll check my stock of plasticard as well, might have enough to do some templates from the unassembled Necromunda terrain. Bulkheads would be the issue at that point.
Don "MONDO"
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

Sorry to hear about the surgery. I hope you are back on your feet in no time. I have enough bulkheads to start with. Its just trying to get a more stable set of terrain as the card terrain I have is worn out a bit. And we are playing a few pick up games to get a feel for what gangs we will be fielding in the tourny next month. So I am going to find some time and start experimenting soon. Thanks for the good idea I will let you know how it goes.
astrosmash ( 140 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by astrosmash »

I haven't used them myself, but Ponoko and other sites will do small batch laser cut projects. If you have the ability to draw up what you want in Illustrator, CAD etc they have all kinds of heavier duty materials on hand (acrylic/polystyrene/wood etc.)
It might be overkill for what you're trying to accomplish, but then again maybe not :)
You Are Standing In An Open Field West Of A White House With A Boarded Front Door. There Is A Small Mailbox Here.
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

I have not used or heard of them either. But I don't lose anything by looking into it and maybe shooting out an email or two. It sure would save me some time in the long run. Thanks for the lead.
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

Don_mondo are you feeling well enoigh to share a photo or two of your previous Necromunda terrain? Just curious? And looking for inspiration.
grazer ( 62 )
BTown Regular

Post by grazer »

I've made a few plasticard buildings using the cardstock floors as templates and found that 1mm thick plastic fits in nice and snug, but if you paint them, then they are a huge pain to slot into the bulkheads. I'd recommend some 0.8mm and just reinforce the middle sections a bit to keep them from bowing too much.
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

Dug what I have out of the attic. Must have loaned some out cause I know there was more. Have to query my club and see if someone has it tucked away. Anyways, pics are at my photobucket:

http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp26 ... de%20Bait/

Mosty it's just using the original stuff as templates. Took a shot of the cardstock I've been using as well, you can see the lines on them where I traced the old pieces. And all the bits and piecwes that got cut off actually work well just stuck on any old way.
Don "MONDO"
ssapper ( 292 )
Expert Trader

Post by ssapper »

Grazer do you know where I could get sheets of plastic like that? The signs are a bit slim. And Don Mondo what plastic did you use?
don_mondo ( 588 )
Resident Trader

Post by don_mondo »

Heh, the plastic I've been using for the last 15 years is stuff we used to throw away at work. It's non-magnetic backing for negatives. I used to collect it all up from the hallways when it got tossed out, used to have boxes of it. Supplied a bunch to GW HQ in Baltimore, they used it for paint pallettes, terrain making, scratchbuilding, etc. I got afree IG army and a free Skaven army from them for two carloads of the stuff. IIRC, I even used to sell/trade bundles of it here. Unfortunately, work switched to cardboard years ago and my stock of plastic has dwindled to about a half a box (plus that was while I was active duty Army and I've long since retired from the Army).
Don "MONDO"
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

don_mondo wrote:I even used to sell/trade bundles of it here.
Yes. Yes, you did. : )
You weren't greedy about your pricing/valuation, either. : ) I've still got a large part (maybe 1/4) of what I got from you... probably more than 8 years ago. LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

If you aren't dead set on the actual Necromunda shapes and stuff, I just ordered 2 sets of Pegasus Hobbies Platformer series large set.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”