note about initiatve & HTH in 40k

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: note about initiatve & HTH in 40k

Post by kturock »

don_mondo wrote:
kturock wrote:DP isn't IC, it's a monsterous creature, and hq, but not IC.

We looked that up too.
Doesn't have to be an IC, just has to be a 'character' to gain Precision Strikes (page 63, main rulebook). Which a DP is (page 412, main rulebook). So yes, a DP can allocate in HTH using Precision Strikes. Even a 'Sergeant' can allocate using this.

kool thanks.

but that still doens't change the initiative 'concern'.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
kturock ( 590 )

Re: note about initiatve & HTH in 40k, updated from faq

Post by kturock »

With the new FAQ up for the 6E rulebook, here's the official answer. It contradicts RAW, but not common sense.

Q: Does a model with an Unwieldy weapon Pile In at its normal
Initiative step and then fight at Initiative step 1? (p22/23)
A: No – it Piles In and fights at Initiative step 1.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: note about initiatve & HTH in 40k, updated from faq

Post by MagickalMemories »

kturock wrote:With the new FAQ up for the 6E rulebook, here's the official answer. It contradicts RAW, but not common sense.

Q: Does a model with an Unwieldy weapon Pile In at its normal
Initiative step and then fight at Initiative step 1? (p22/23)
A: No – it Piles In and fights at Initiative step 1.
I don't think it contradicts RAW, so much as it clarifies intent. IMO, RAW didn't say that he gets to pile in faster than his attack, it just didn't say that he DIDN'T get to - which is not the same thing.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

RAW says you move [pile in] on your init, not modiefied I, based on your weapon.
RAW says unweildy attacks in I1..nothing about moving, just attacking.

Personally, I like the errata, and it's what is implied and was how it's been in all previous editions.

but the exact wording, move on I and attack at modified I.

I can easily see swinging a 2 handed axe or big fist/claw, taking some time to wind-up, but not affecting your movement. [especially when you do the 2 at once]

Maybe because I've played so many different games, especially rpg's, that movement and attacking weren't simultainous, I can see both sides.

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Could be.
Having limited wargaming experience, myself (Chainmail, clix and 40K), I tend to think "in 40K mode" about rules for 40K.
By "40K mode," I mean that I look at what they've traditionally done. Granted, they've never had a pile in move before (in the eidtions I've played [3rd - 6th], at least), but pile-in takes place in the Assault Phase, and Assault has always been by Initiative, barring special circumstances or weapons.
So, since (typical) Power Fists always made you initiative 1, I just always saw it that way.

Although I disagreed with the guy's RAW p.o.v. when we discussed it, I absolutely understood WHY he saw it that way.

Eric
It's late. I'm tired and have a cold. I hope that made sense. LOL

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

YOU? Make sense?....;-)

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

On occasion.

: )

Bulkoth ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Post by Bulkoth »

New faq now makes this perfectly clear, if you're attacking with a Pfist you pile in at I1, if you're attacking at more than one initiative you consolidate only at the first one.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

The entire thing that the new rules are out and the faq/eratta for it is only 1 month after is ludicrious.

I've played Star Fleet Battles, a game that has also been around for 30 years, and yes, the rule book is complex, but so is 40k, if you take into considerations all parts of all codexes and special ablities completely.
It used to have FAQ and eratta.. Then they got the rules down and haven't changed them since. They have basic, and advanced rules and optional rules. no eratta.

Even the new streamlined game doesn't have as many problems as GW does in any version.

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

I think this is a serious problem with contemporary gaming, though, not GW in particular.

I was playing a FFG board game recently where, without the errata, it was literally impossible for one side to win...
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”