Tau army advice?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Tau army advice?

Post by starslayer »

Hello.

Im looking for some good Tau army lists. Particularly "shooty" lists. This all may change soon, as Ive heard a new Tau book is in the works. But does anyone have some proven working lists?

Thanks.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Tau army advice?

Post by MagickalMemories »

Moved to the "Grimdark" discussion forum.

Unfortunately, that's all I've got to offer. I don't play Tau and don't know the list for sh**.
All I can really say beyond that is that the guy in my group who's the sort of Tau guru swears by markerlights.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Not 100% sure Im gonna start them anyway. Some really bad offers on here lately.....lol. We'll see.

Sorry MM- so many sections here now.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

A guy I play against, regularly runs 3 groups of 3 crisis suits and hides them behind sacrifical 3 large quads of kroot that he layers in front of his army. It is REALLY hard to get through. He uses this as a delaying tactic to allow him to get at least 3-4 turns of shooting on me. He also runs some tanks and broadsides, that he keeps on the flanks.
polarbear ( 60 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by polarbear »

Start with your railguns:

I run 2 railheads and a unit of two broadsides with 2 drones and one HWTL, but some people swear by two units of broadsides and one railhead. I've tried both and it really just comes down to who you're playing. The big thing here is that there are only two heavy support options, and non-gimmick lists need one of both.

After that, grab some crisis suits. My standard load is three squads of two, plus two drones. Weapons are generally some combination of plasma, missiles, and fusion. The idea with running them in groups of two instead of three is that one death doesn't put them under 50% (drones don't count for the 50% rule) so you don't need to bond them.
Your commander is just a bigger version of the normal suits. Either take an 'o with Plas-Missile-Fusion-HWDC-HWMT or an 'el with plas-missile-TA-HWDC-HWMT or plas-fusion-TA-HWDC-HWMT (BS 5). Stick him in with one of the crisis teams, or make one the the crisis teams his bodyguards with plas-MP-TA-HWMT for BS4 shenanigans.

Now you worry about troops. I generally run 2x12 firewarriors, one in devilfish. There really isn't a reason that I run them like that besides that I have 24 warriors and two devilfish, and one of those belongs to the pathfinders.
I Absolutely Never Use Kroot. They are terrible. They fail miserably at literally everything that I send them to do. Besides that, the models are pointy and poorly balanced and get caught on clothing. They stay in the box.

Pathfinders. 8 of them. Devilfish. 111 for the pathfinders, 85 for the DF. Scout move first turn, then the DF acts like cover for the crisis teams and hauls around the other team of warriors.

That's the core of the army. By now your points limit should be squeezing in on you, so just fill to taste. I've had fun with piranhas, but at some point I want another devilfish so I can run more warriors. Good luck, inbox me if you have more questions.
Owed refs by:

I don't like to do international deals.
If you need things by a certain date or can only send/reply on certain days, please let me know.
starslayer ( 560 )
Millenium Trader

Post by starslayer »

Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”