Orks.

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Orks.

Post by kturock »

I'm probably going to trade off all my CSM and switch to Orks.

What are suggestions for armies?
What's good; what boyz are better for swarm mobs.
What about CoS?
What are useless or not worth the cost?
what are invaluable?
what are cheese and only play vs someone you hate?

This is what I have now...almost nothing.
1 warboss, 5 nobs and 20 boyz from 1 AoBR set.
A Mage Knight steam tank for a battlewagon.
1 truck [for gorka morka]
1 war buggy.
I converted partail rhino for an open truck. [gorka morka style]

from my csm army:

to be looted vehicles [most likely]
1 vindicator.
5 rhinos.
3 preds.
1 land raider.

9 bikes. [as proxies]

I'll probably proxy some CSM for boyz.
Suggestions for specifics would be appreciated.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Orks.

Post by YoungWolf777 »

Looted wagons are flavorful and fun to build, but crap on the field. I'd avoid them.

Short list of useful models:
  • Warboss (to get Nobz/Bikers as troops)
  • Big Mek with KFF (to protect vehicles/troops)
  • Nobz (especially Biker Nobz, not so cheesy these days)
  • Lootaz (only anti-tank that Orks can field on foot, and it's pretty weak against AV 14)
  • Boyz (don't bother with any upgrades other than a PK on a Nob)
  • Bikers (Bike heavy armies can be fun if you know how to maneuver them)
  • Buggies w/TL Rokkits (anti-tank, mobile, but BS 2 really hurts)
  • Deffcoptas w/TL Rokkits (same as buggies, even more mobile though)
  • Battlewagons (either to deliver boyz/nobz or as gun wagons)
  • Kannons (anti-tank/anti-infantry, sometimes a Big Mek with a SAG back with them can be effective or entertaining, usually not both at the same time)
Until the Ork codex is rewritten sometime in late 6th edition, it's just not really going to be able to compete in the mech-heavy world of 5th edition (and presumably 6th.)

My opinions, take them for what they are worth.
eman1_2 ( 278 )
Resident Trader

Post by eman1_2 »

Deff koptas with twin linked rockits. They are my anti-tank squads. Lootas are OK, but not worth it IMO.

Nobs. Lots and lots of Nobs. I run 2 warbosses so I can take 2 nobs as troops. They are my objective takers and holders. Very hard to push them from a spot when they park there. Pain Boy is a must - Feel No Pain has to be had.

I run a mechanized list - 10 nobs with warboss in battlewagon. Never been disappointed in them. 10 more nobs with warboss in a trukk. 2 or 3 units of 12 boys with nob with powerclaw in truks.

Orks are mere speed bumps for most armies. Every time I go ork heavy, nob light, I lose.
Mike

- A simple 'not interested' to a trade offer is just being polite. It helps people setting up multiple trades know where they stand.
- Google something for someone, they get an answer. Teach someone how to Google their own answer, they own the Internet.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Run as many battlewagons as you can and put a death rolla on EVERY one.

Run as many Nobs as you can.

Run as many Lootas as you can.

I would turn the Preds & Rhinos into buggies.

The Mageknight and landraider into Battlewagons.

Turn the bikers into Nob Bikers and make up a big bike for a warboss.

Get some gun bits and turn all the boys into Lootas; or run a big mob of 40 shootaboys with a mad dok and a PK Nob for camping an objective.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Prepare not to get 100% the same answer twice in this thread. LOL

Bikes are crap. Even in large units, they're just not tough enough to stand up to massed firepower or HtH. You will be great on the charge, then crap after.

Some like Boyz Mobs. I like Mechanized Boys in trukks.

ALWAYS take a Power Klaw and Boss Pole on your Nob. The BP allows you to reroll failed Ld tests (and you WILL fail Ld tests).

I like 15 strong Loota units. They're random @d3 shots per turn and BS2, but they're S7 and get 30 shots on average with a full unit.

Big Mek with a Kustom force Field is nice to pair with Lootas for the extra save. Some like to put them in Battlewagons and park them in the back field (48" range). In my group, we freely use non-super-heavy ForgeWorld models, and 10 of them in a Big Squiggoth is nasty, since the Squiggoth is hard to kill.

Nobs are tough. You can take 1 Nod unit as troops for every Warboss you take. Put them on bikes for a NASTY unit. Arm each one differently and you get to take advantage of wound shenaniganary. LOL Careful, though. They are EXPENSIVE. Armed properly, they will destroy anything they charge. Multi-charging is a nice tactic, so you are hopefully "stuck in" on the opponents turn and can't be shot. Always take the...err... banner that gives you a bump in your WS (name slips me).
If you don't take Nobs, you should not expect to win against any competitive army.
NEVER take Nobs without a Pain Boy (Feel No Pain for the unit). NEVER allocate wounds to a Pain Boy until you HAVE to. Do not allocate Insta-kill wounds to him.

Ard Boys are Armor 4 (VS Armor 6 of regular boys), but still tend to fall in droves.

See the unit labeled Kommandos? See the unit labeled Tankbustas? See the entry for Looted Vehicles? Tear those pages out of your codex. lol

Deff Koptas are nice, but don't RELY on them. use them to harrass the enemy. Do NOT spend too many points on 'em.

A warboss on bike will make most of your opponents squirm... especially with a Nob Biker retinue. make sure he has a Klaw, Bosspole, and squig at least.

Red paint job on anything that moves and can get it. It gives you 1" of movement "free" (so, you can move 7" at Combat Speed, 13 at Cruising, etc). Trukks should ALWAYS have a Ram (think "Dozer Blade").

Nothing is really "cheese," though a lot of people deride Nob Bikers, especially when kitted out to take advantage of wound allocation.

I would open up the Rhinos and use them as Trukks.

I would trade the Predator for an ACTUAL trukk and, hopefully, more Ork stuff. Same for the Land Raider; try to get an ACTUAL Battlewagon. Failing that, make it into a Battlewagon.
Same thing for the Vindicator. Trade it for something you need. Don't waste the cool Vindi model on converting it to a trukk.

Hmm... Looking at it now, you've got FIVE Rhinos. You probably won't need more trukks than that.
I'd try to trade them for trukks, if possible & convert any that I couldn't trade.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
juggernought ( 8 )
BTown Regular

Post by juggernought »

i like to run a 20 boy unit up the mid. of the field. run them as cheap as possible. most people well tend to shoot them cause they are an easy kill taken some of the heat off your trukks. and if any of them make it over they are always a helpful to back up those trukk boys who are in HTH. i also like to run a squard of kanz behind a battlewagon that has a big mek w/KKF. given them a 4+ save on the way over. the PK on your nob will run 25 for an extra 10 you have a kan.
You can't stop me! All you can do is try to out Maneuver me.
orkoid-23 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by orkoid-23 »

I pretty much agree with MagickalMemories, but even then, I'm sure you will lose a lot of battles. Instead, perhaps try focusing on the modelling aspect of Orks: they do have literally the most modelling freedom if not just in 40K, but likely the whole Games Workshop line.

I totally think you need to make that Land Raider into a Battlewagon (I hate buying things for Orks that I can build myself).
mardaddy601 ( 260 )
Expert Trader

Post by mardaddy601 »

I have to disagree with MM on the Kommando's. Snickrot is MY BOY. Has made all the points spent on him & his goons EVERY SINGLE GAME. You take your pick of table edge, him & 14 others can wreck havoc (especially on unimaginative table-edge gunline players like some IG, Tau...) I usually don't, but you can give them a burna for some template goodness.

from around 1500-2000 points, I tend to run a Big Mek w/KFF, Wazdakka & 5x Nob bikes w/Painboy, 7-12x Bikes (as TR1), 2x trukks w/Boyz & three 22-30x Boyz mobz all with slugga/choppa, Snickrot/Kommandos, 12-20x Stormboyz, 15x Lootas. All the Mob Nobs w/PK & Bosspole only.

I adjust the quantities to get the mix I need to fill point value of the game and find this mix of forces works with my play style, I win about 75% of the time.
None of these things are VITAL, this is a HOBBY. A hobby we enjoy, but still, a HOBBY.

Lower rating ships or pays 1st, myself included. Used to be more flexible; but was burned in recent months by a few newbies. If 200+ feedback w/no negs and 10+ years member is not enough to be trusted, well, like I said - none of this is VITAL.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

MagickalMemories wrote:Prepare not to get 100% the same answer twice in this thread. LOL
mardaddy601 wrote:I have to disagree with MM on the Kommando's.
Mmm Hmmm.
Go on.
LOL

On occasion, especially if you know your opponent, taking Snikrot can be valid. If they know his abilities, though, and you're doing the "friendly" thing and sharing your lists... it says more about your opponents than you (no insult intended) if they're still lining up on/near the back table edge and giving you a shot at them.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
tacticalguy24 ( 56 )
BTown Regular

Post by tacticalguy24 »

My friend runs a pretty good list that usually consists of:

nobs w/ powerklaw in trukk and a painboy
mega nobs in trukk w/ ghaskull
lootas in any cover
burnas in a trukk
2 zap guns with a gretcin herd
big mek w/ SAG
and then boys to fill out remaining points

I'd advise against using looted wagons. waste of an old model and $$, easier to buy a trukk
shooty orks win games just as well as horde orks
Unofficial btown rules apply.

Feedback owed: xSoulgrinderx
Feedback I owe:
oaflord ( 196 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by oaflord »

I would wait for 6th ed. Will change a lot.

oAF
References owed to me: fhoenix, razley, MEversbergII
References owed by me: None.
MagickalMemories wrote:I think it was best said by Oaflord, with his 14 rating. Smart fella, there.
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaflord... You're a Dork! (Put THAT in your sig line!)
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaf... Yer still a flippin' idiot. Some things just don't change. :wink:
Magickalmemories wrote:That oaflord! He's one heck of a great guy!
MagickalMemories wrote:Oh, God, oAF! You did it. You drank it. Now, you're dooooooomed.
MagickalMemories wrote:No... it makes you a HERO! (in reference to me)
orkoid-23 ( 44 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by orkoid-23 »

in fith ed, Biker Nobz were THE best Ork unit, but with the change in wound allocation rules and power weapons, I'm sure Meganobz will usurp biker nobz for that distinction.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”