Grey Knights - What are you running

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: Grey Knights - What are you running

Post by Norseman »

OMG I just looked through the Inquistion stuff. With Coatez, the henchmen groups count as troops. However they do not count to force allocation. So that means you have UNLIMITED troops selections. I can have 50 squads of 3 Death Cult Asssasins... Which all can hold objectives. I think there has got to be an errata. There is just TOO MANY broken combos possible with this book. All I can think about is HOW AWESOME my Adeptus Mech is going to play as a counts as army. The DreadKnights are all Knight Titans, and I can field unlimited squads of Servitors.

I truly believe the actual GKs in this book are going to be a side note compared to the Inquisition side.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Norseman wrote:OMG I just looked through the Inquistion stuff. With Coatez, the henchmen groups count as troops. However they do not count to force allocation. So that means you have UNLIMITED troops selections. I can have 50 squads of 3 Death Cult Asssasins... Which all can hold objectives. I think there has got to be an errata. There is just TOO MANY broken combos possible with this book. All I can think about is HOW AWESOME my Adeptus Mech is going to play as a counts as army. The DreadKnights are all Knight Titans, and I can field unlimited squads of Servitors.

I truly believe the actual GKs in this book are going to be a side note compared to the Inquisition side.
I'm drooling to get my hands on this codex. Moreso, now that you've said that, Norse.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

Yeah, BoLS managed to break the codex about a week ago. You take Coteaz, so Henchies are unlimited and scoring. Then you take eighteen units of three Warriors with Meltas mounted in Chimaeras, for about 1,000 points, and spend the rest of your points on your mandatory Troops (since the henchies don't fit the Force Org requirement), and maybe something hard-hitting. Then you laugh as your opponent tries to destroy eighteen Chimaeras in five to seven turns. In an average game of six turns, that means you have to kill three. . .per turn.

And while they're all BS3, you're looking at 54 Multilaser shots, and you can supplement that with 54 Heavy Stubber shots and 54 Heavy Bolter shots, for a grand total of 162 S4+ shots with a range of 36". That's an average of 54 dead Orks per turn. Twenty-seven if they're in cover. And you have all of those handy meltas to deal with MEQs, monstrous creatures and your opponent's heavy armor. Is this stupid and ridiculously expensive? Yes. It's over $600 in Chimera's alone. But guaranteed there's some d-bag out there who would use it in a tournament. I do hope they fix this little glitch, as it can lead to this and other asshatery.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Yeah, BoLS managed to break the codex about a week ago. You take Coteaz, so Henchies are unlimited and scoring. Then you take eighteen units of three Warriors with Meltas mounted in Chimaeras, for about 1,000 points, and spend the rest of your points on your mandatory Troops (since the henchies don't fit the Force Org requirement), and maybe something hard-hitting. Then you laugh as your opponent tries to destroy eighteen Chimaeras in five to seven turns. In an average game of six turns, that means you have to kill three. . .per turn.

And while they're all BS3, you're looking at 54 Multilaser shots, and you can supplement that with 54 Heavy Stubber shots and 54 Heavy Bolter shots, for a grand total of 162 S4+ shots with a range of 36". That's an average of 54 dead Orks per turn. Twenty-seven if they're in cover. And you have all of those handy meltas to deal with MEQs, monstrous creatures and your opponent's heavy armor. Is this stupid and ridiculously expensive? Yes. It's over $600 in Chimera's alone. But guaranteed there's some d-bag out there who would use it in a tournament. I do hope they fix this little glitch, as it can lead to this and other asshatery.
I can run that standing on my head...

The question is...

Just because I can...Does that mean I should?

Would throwing in a few monkeys in the fray be worth it. He adds 12" to the range of weapons of his squad and added a MM, LC or HF, from his Digital weapons. Hmmm MG for the price of MM.

There has got to be a limit. I just hope they don't limit it to 6.
YoungWolf777 ( 1146 )
Millenium Trader

Post by YoungWolf777 »

It's got to be FAQ'ed or corrected quickly. Otherwise they've broken a fundamental game mechanic.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Nobody Suspects the Imperial Inquisition!!!
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

BTW, if the above henchman idea includes having 3 servitors in each of those squads, don't the servitors suffer from mindlock? So you're talking about the servitors not firing 50% of the time.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

That was my first idea, but the mindlock killed it. There are other henchmen that can take just meltas. The Jokereo Weaponsmith adds 12" to the range and either a LC MM or a HF.

The one thing I thought I would have seen was a multiple Inquisitor per HQ slot, because they are only 25 points each, but that wasn't there. Because really I would pay an extra 25 points to keep my Servitors from mindlocking, which requires a INQ.

What I see happening is GW majking them actually count for troop slots when taken in this way. When they are elite choices they wont count towards allocation but wont be able to hold objectives. Still a little broken but not bad.
oaflord ( 196 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by oaflord »

What am I running??? I am running away with my Nurgle Daemon Army and hiding... I am sure it isn't as bad as I think, but until I hear otherwise... no games against GK for me...

oAF
References owed to me: fhoenix, razley, MEversbergII
References owed by me: None.
MagickalMemories wrote:I think it was best said by Oaflord, with his 14 rating. Smart fella, there.
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaflord... You're a Dork! (Put THAT in your sig line!)
MagickalMemories wrote:Oaf... Yer still a flippin' idiot. Some things just don't change. :wink:
Magickalmemories wrote:That oaflord! He's one heck of a great guy!
MagickalMemories wrote:Oh, God, oAF! You did it. You drank it. Now, you're dooooooomed.
MagickalMemories wrote:No... it makes you a HERO! (in reference to me)
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

What you dont like losing your eternal warrior and everything that hits you has rerolls to hit.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

I thought Techmarines prevented Mindlock? Is it different in the Grey Knight codex?

EDIT: BTW, GKT are troops and have a +2 Armor save and a +4 invul save? Yes please!

Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I thought Techmarines prevented Mindlock? Is it different in the Grey Knight codex?
I will take a look at that.

They may have to be in the squad.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I have a feeling they will limit the henchmen groups to six troop slots. On second reading it is getting clearer that, that was the intent. Instead of being limited to your inquisitors you will be limited by your troop allocation. If it aint it's broken, because I will run 23 squads of 3 Warriors with 3 Melta Guns all in Chimeras and Coteaz in a Chimera with a few Crusaders in a Chemera to hide in the back. Try and kill them all. Betcha can't. I will have to run to chimeras 2 deep just to fit on the table. Take that GW!!! LOL

And... For the doubters... Yes I do have the models to do it!

As for the people over on BOLS that are saying that their Dreadknight is made into only Jump infantry and loses Monstrous creature so it can then fit in a Storm raven...

Wait for it...

SLAP!!!!!!!!
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

Yeah. . .that's just <not smart>. You can't turn a monstrous creature into a jump infantry model. Otherwise, that means you'd be able to get a cover save if your toe is covered by a leaf.

But yeah, here's hoping they fix that henchman issue.

And GK termies are pretty steaksauce. What would be better is if they could take Storm Shields. With a Nem Force Sword, they'd rock a 2+ Invuln! Steak-SAWSE!!! Of course, you can just take a Nem Force Stave on one model and give them a 2+, but meh. . .2+ everywhere would be fun!
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

The lack of SSs was a balance issue I am sure. They would be just too dang good if they had em.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”