Grey Knights - What are you running

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Grey Knights - What are you running

Post by Norseman »

What are you planning on running for grey knights.

I think my army is going to look something like this:
3 Storm Ravens
3 DredKnights
1 5 Man Termies/Palidans
2 10 Man GK PA

I gotta work on the points. See what I have left.

Maybe a 7 Man Termie Squad in a LR if I have points left over.

Do you expect to see and Daemon Armies on the tourney circuit after they are released?
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Grey Knights - What are you running

Post by MagickalMemories »

I haven't seen the codex but, is psycannons still ignore Invulnerable saves, I wouldn't be surprised if people start leaving their DE at home for tournaments, already. Invulnerable saves are important enough to enough units that just a few psycannons would decimate swathes of the army.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I will check tonight.

Sofar i am not overly blown away by the power of the army. They are good, but not over powered. I think they have done a good job on the codex. Enough is different to make it interesting. But nothing really jumps out to me as "OMG that's BROKEN!!!" I still have to do some digging into it, but my brief overview has been good.

I see some people using the rules for counts as Chaos Armies. Especially Tzeentch & Thousand Sons.

Dredknights stats would be great for Greater Daemons.

I am so doing a Tzeencth army as well.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

A bit premature since the codex isn't up for sell.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

Psycannons do not take away invuln saves any more, as far as I can tell. Neither do Incinerators. The Psilencer does auto-wound daemons on a 2+, though, so a few of those can put some hurt on a greater daemon with a 4+ invuln.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

A bit premature since the codex isn't up for sell.
The Codex is at my FLGS for preview. Has been for the last week. Don't all Independent GW retails get preview copies?
TheRhino ( 212 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TheRhino »

I honestly don't see the new Grey Knights altering the field of tournament players that much. Psycannons are Rending now, instead of stripping away Invulnerables, as far as I can tell. All Daemons are Eternal Warrior, so Nemesis Force weapons won't instakill them.
The slew og new GK toys is strongly balanced by their heavy points costs.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

Ironhide wrote:A bit premature since the codex isn't up for sell.
Since when has that stopped that onling gamig community from knowing what's in a codex from cover to cover? :wink:

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Its a bit premature in the fact that not all independent retailers get a copy, so not all people will be able to comment.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

All Daemons are Eternal Warrior, so Nemesis Force weapons won't instakill them.
Don't the nemesis weapons take away the eternal warrior for daemons?

I just skimmed the book so I don't know for sure.

Might have been the deamon hammer.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Saw this on BoLS, it's called demonbane.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/03/ ... tions.html

reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

Grey Knights will at least have a marginal impact on the metagame. Y'know who's going to hate them? Orks. They all have power weapons, so no FNP on Nobs. And once the first wound makes it past the 5+ Cybork save, a single psychic test makes all attacks cause Instant Death. And every unit has Hammerhand to make them S5, plus Might of Titan on a Libby can bump them to S6. So a unit of GKs rolls into a nob squad and does ten wounds. Normally, each nob takes a wound and lives whether or not they fail the save. But now a single Leadership test means seven of those nobs are dead, and the GKs have fourteen toward combat resolution, so any survivors are likely to flee and get wiped. And every Ork player I've ever seen at a tourney has a unit of nobz. Sometimes two at 'Ard Boyz.
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

And for those who haven't seen the books, all GKs have access to the same three weapons. Swords increase yiur Invuln by one olif you have one, but do nothing if you don't. Halberds give you +2 Initiative. And a pair of Falchions gives you +1 Attack. All are Nemesis Force Weapons.

Personally, I would take my Terminators as Troops because the Paladins are expensive and can be wiped with a single Demolisher round. For Elites, I'm loving Purifiers, because they can handle MEQs with their two base attacks, and hordes with their psychic power. And I'm likely to run two HQs, because the Libby is too good not to take, and the Grand Master is pretty sweet himself. Though I don't like tue Dreae Knight model, it's one of two reliable tank killers in the list, and is likely to be sturdier than a dreadnought. I'll have to look at the book again and get a proposed list.
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

Definitely 2 HQs:

That Libby is awesome.
TheRhino ( 212 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TheRhino »

Ipaged through the codex briefly at the FLGS after our monthly tournament. Grey Knights are all well and good, but the Inquisitor stuff was far more fun, IMO. Karamzov is a badass now, and his By Any Means Necessary rule is hi-LARIOUS.
I won't be building an army from the book, but I felt the =I= stuff had more flavor and fun factor than any of the GK units.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”