Base size question

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

Bulkoth ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Base size question

Post by Bulkoth »

I'm looking at replacing my large flying bases for Necron Destroyers with some resin bases because the clear ones get scuffed up so easily.

I want to use the pegs from the flight bases as the connecting point and keep them modular to save space in my army case.

My question boils down to what do the rules say about base size when skimmers is involved?

I've got some 60 mm bases and they seem a touch bigger than the flight stand bases, would 50mm be more appropriate? legal game wise?

I'd like as many opinions as I can get, thanks
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Base size question

Post by MagickalMemories »

The rules say that, if a model comes with the base, you must use that base size.
A large flying base is 60mm, so you have to use a 60mm base to remain within the parameters of the rules.

That is what the RULES say.

In practice, you'll find that many -if not most- people in a non-tournament environment won't really give a rip, provided it doesn't look like you're trying to use a different base size to cheat.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
EVIL INC ( 42 )
Resident Trader

Post by EVIL INC »

Usually you can go bigger but not smaller. of course you need to use the caveat of "within reason".
Treat other members with the same dignity, respect and honesty you would like to be treated with.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

No, you can't. The rules say you use the base your model came with. If the base is 25mm round, that is what you use. However, nothing says you can't convert from that base. Say, for instance, you mount some rocks on it to make it higher and they overlap off the sides of the base. That would be fine.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
leth ( 352 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by leth »

Following that logic I can cut a hole in a 40mm put the 25mm in the middle BAMN problem solved.

Really as long as it is not for advantage I don't see people getting in a hissy about it
USA

My prices/trades are just estimates, I do not know the going rate. If you want to know sooner, send me a offer.

Just started my painting blog. To keep myself painting mostly
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

In that example, you would discount the area that the 40mm base, and measure to/from the 25mm in the center as the models "base" for all game purposes. From a tourney standpoint, at least.

MM has the right of it, though. At least outside of tournaments (and you'll usually find this being acceptable in non-major tournaments as well), most people could care less. As long as you're not putting Lukas the Trickster on a 200mm base to Stasis Bomb an entire unit, or some other beardiness to cheat with. Personally, I'd be fine if you used a 40mm base and the peg, but that's just me. I think MM's suggestion is the safest if you want your army to be tourney-legal, though -- see if you can find a 60mm base to mount it on that will support the flight peg. Technically you're not using "the base it's supplied with", but you're using the right base size, and size it what really matters, no? :wink:
jbenton ( 60 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by jbenton »

Would clear-coating the "official" bases help with the scuffing problem? With a bit of future and a couple drops of transparent paint/food coloring you could even have necron-green translucent bases. Then again, I've never tried it, so it might not be any kind of solution.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I don't have scuffing problems... then again, I "base" all of my flying bases, so...

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Bulkoth ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Post by Bulkoth »

I appreciate all the feedback.

Clear coating anything from GW that is clear has a frosting effect on it, case in point: necron rods.

I'm using resin lava bases from Base Contacts for my necrons so it would be very difficult to replicate the same effect on the base provided.

I don't play in tourneys but I'd like to leave that option open especially with the rumors that we'll get a new codex soon.

I think I'll just go with 60mm resin bases and use the flight pegs the clear bases came with. It's just a shame that the clear plastic they use is so soft that it marks very easily, I'm very careful with mine and even scratching it with a finger nail will leave visible marks.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

I think using the 60mm bases will be fine.
Unless someone measures them or holds them up against the GW ones, nobody will even notice the size difference.

If they do, and it's in a "friendly" game, tell them to p*ss off. LOL
If it's a tourney, call a judge over, explain the situation, and giggle to yourself when the judge or TO sides with you... then mark the guy down with a "0" for sportsmanship.

Eric

Dakkar98 ( 688 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Dakkar98 »

I generally prime all my flight bases before I put my stems in. Then flock it like I would any other.

On the subject of different size bases. You are supposed to use the base provided with the model.

BUT, Standard tau battle suits come with both a 40MM base and a small flight base and can use either.
If you buy a tau battle suit from FW it comes with a 60 mm base and nothing else.

In that case what is legal and what is not because all "like" models should be on the same base size. So ... Which should you use?
Bits for my marines: Need/Have
Studded Shoulder Pads: 900+/290+
Mk6 Helmeted Heads: 800+/600+

It's Bartertown, if you don't like my offer, please haggle with me.

References Owed (to me and by me): TheKiiier, CraftworldsRus, morgazmo84015, Beesterdo, 2.0, chosenoftzeentch, kepora, tiger, beowulfdahunter, getupandgo, thibner, snikrot, Crovan.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

To emphasize what I was talking about in my previous post, this is what I mean by have rocks overlap off the sides:

It's a converted scenic base, but it still on the base that it is provided with.

As far as bases go for tourney, go by what the rulebook says - "The base the model is supplied with."

Forgeworld models are a tricky matter. As some are not usable in a tourney. So I'd ask whoever you are playing with, or the tourney organizer, in regards to those.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
reegsk ( 478 )
Millenium Trader

Post by reegsk »

Actually, here's an idea -- try to get extra flying pegs, or even use something like a clear rod that'll fit into the hole on the bottom of the destroyers. Glue the peg/rod to the scenic bases that you like, and use them, but don't glue the pegs into the models (something I recommend anyway). If your opponent is a real douche, but you still want to play the game, pluck them off of the scenic bases and use the boring ol' flying stands.

In a tournament, if someone raises a stink, don't cause a fuss or even bother the TO, just swap the bases. It won't effect the game for you, as the bases are the same size. Then, when it comes time to have your painting judged, put the scenic bases back on. You'll probably find that most opponents will be fine with the scenic bases anyway, even in a tourney. Maybe before hand just ask if they mind them, and let them know you have the original flying bases if they're more comfortable with that. That eliminates need for a confrontation, which could impact your sportsmanship score (even though you're not the douche making your opponent switch bases that are the same size).

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”