Miniature Scenery Australia Troop Landers

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Miniature Scenery Australia Troop Landers

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Has anyone built these? I like the overall aesthetic, but a first hand review about how they paint up etc would be handy.

http://www.miniaturescenery.com/Product ... Code=BNKTL
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Re: Miniature Scenery Australia Troop Landers

Post by Norseman »

A guy at my FLGS has a few of them. He got them quite a few years back. I don't really like them. They are made out of a weird material, kind like a press board if I recall correctly. Yes Wood!!! or cardboard like material. If I recall correctly he had to spray them with a special paint to actually get paint to stick properly. I could be totally mistaken I am talking about seeing these things many years ago with Drop pods JUST came out in the Codex and GW didn't have a model.

I will talk with him on Friday and get his thoughts.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

You're right. They're wood.
I think it's a press board of sorts.

I can't speak for the painting issue. I'd imagine he wasn't priming them with a wood primer, though.

Personally, I'd just get the GW Drop Pod.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

I have 10 of them and I think they are awesome!

I use them as chaos drop pods and they are perfect.

Unfortunately for you, I bought them when the U.S. $ was really strong and paid only $15 a piece for them, which compared to GW prices made them a steal.

Yes they are made from a pressed cardboard material, which for me was a plus.

They go together like a puzzle and using just Elmers glue, they are exceptionally study and you can drop and bang them with little worry.

I was also able to add chaos bitz to them with just super glue.

I don't remember any problems painting them. I just spray primed them black, and then spray my base coat.

I would definitely give them an A+.

Unfortunately I think with the weakness of the U.S. dollar and the cost of shipping them from AU, I think they will wind up being the same price as the GW ones, in which case I would go with the GW ones, unless you are looking for something different.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Price-wise, I can get 3 shipped for the price of 2 from GW. In addition to being a slight price advantage, it also means I get to support an independent company at GW's expense. That's a plus.

I know they're wood (ish). That's not an issue for me as I am a competent builder of stuffs. :) My only concern is the smoothness of paint application.

@MattHoell--could you put up some pics of yours?
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
MattHoell ( 100 )
Resident Trader

Post by MattHoell »

If I get sometime tonight, I will take a couple of shots, PM me your e-mail address.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

one trick that works well for wood or any not that smooth finish is to cover the model with a milliput juice and sand it after or basecoat them with Mr. Primer 800.
i saw those models a couple of time, they are MDF made. they looked good for the price and at that time, only FW had pods available. Nowadays, you can score cheap GW droppods here and there so i'm sure the price makes a difference, it all comes back to design preference IMHO. They look pretty nice for Chaos army, but not that much of imperial

J.
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

The texture and smoothness was my big hang up. If you get any kind of discount on GW I would go for the GW ones.
Tarius ( 0 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Tarius »

Ah, I remember seeing these quite a while ago(several years I think actually). I saved the link in my favs in case I ever wanted drop pods without paying $90, but then the plastic drop pod came out and theres now no need for me to buy them since I play SM.
I'm the Librarian around here.
Once you play 40k, everything else seems cheaper.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Use gesso. Should work great for priming that kind of material.

One question: I guess you can forget about stripping this kind of thing if it is made from pressboard?
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

Ironhide wrote:Use gesso. Should work great for priming that kind of material.

One question: I guess you can forget about stripping this kind of thing if it is made from pressboard?
i would say yes, putting any kind of wood in liquid for a long period of time is not an ideal situtation, it'll either bloat, deform, rot, or all of them... a extrem solution would to cover the whole thing with Tamiya Plastic putty and sealed it a couple of times, before painting, in that case stripping might work...perhaps...

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Ironhide wrote:Use gesso. Should work great for priming that kind of material.
That's a great suggestion. Thanks!
Ironhide wrote:One question: I guess you can forget about stripping this kind of thing if it is made from pressboard?
Yeah, I think you're dead on there--although I bet you can sand it down pretty easily.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

jul wrote:i would say yes, putting any kind of wood in liquid for a long period of time is not an ideal situtation, it'll either bloat, deform, rot, or all of them... a extrem solution would to cover the whole thing with Tamiya Plastic putty and sealed it a couple of times, before painting, in that case stripping might work...perhaps...

J
I've got a "flap sander" attachment for my drill that would work perfectly.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
insan0 ( 94 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by insan0 »

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:Price-wise, I can get 3 shipped for the price of 2 from GW. In addition to being a slight price advantage, it also means I get to support an independent company at GW's expense. That's a plus.

I know they're wood (ish). That's not an issue for me as I am a competent builder of stuffs. :) My only concern is the smoothness of paint application.

@MattHoell--could you put up some pics of yours?

You also get to support various postal systems. I would have bought various terrain pieces from them but the shipping is quite prohibitive.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”