Anyone see the new GK codex yet?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Anyone see the new GK codex yet?

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm the opposite. Give me plastic.
They stand better in awkward positions on the table, you can assemble them more easily and, if they hit the floor from table-height, they don't tend to shatter into their composite parts.
Also, in my experience, paint doesn't chip off of plastic nearly as much as metal.

That being said, the Dreadknight makes me want to cry. It's a work of art. I nearly shat.

Not a big fan of the plastic PAGK's. I'm actually rather disappointed. With the things GW is doing with plastic now, the relatively barren (compared to old GK's) left shoulder pad looks rather... blank.

I'm liking the Termies very much. Sadly, the Sgt looks like a chimpanzee. Everything else about them is cool.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Holy *edit* *edit*! Those look beyootifool! And the actually look similar to the older ones. I am gonna be picking up a couple boxes.

On that note: Anyone need some Space Wolves? :mrgreen:
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

I thought GW had jumped the shark with the XBloodX STORM Raven; I had no idea they were ramping up to the steaming pile of feth of the Dreadknight.

This exoskeletal monstrosity is so far beyond the aesthetic of Space Marines, let alone Grey Knights that it frankly boggles my mind.

I get the logical necessity of big Marines to fight big Daemons. But you know what? We have those. Dreadnoughts. This thing is ridiculous. The exposed crewman is ridiculous.

Gah.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Bulkoth ( 122 )
Resident Trader

Post by Bulkoth »

This picture I just made sums up my thoughts.
aurak_merc ( 440 )
Resident Trader

Post by aurak_merc »

I am really pretty happy with the releases. I actually dig the Dreadknight a lot, but I hope the pilot comes with a helmeted head option as I intend to have a half dozen or so of these, and faceless helms are more appealing to me.

I am not really liking the dual sword terminators all that much, but maybe they will grow on me.
Always remember that your stuff is nearly worthless junk. The other person's items are highly valuable collectibles.

If I owe you a reference, please remind me.

I don't expect people to wait forever for an answer, and expect the same courtesy.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

s_o_r_r_o_w wrote:I thought GW had jumped the shark with the Blood Raven; I had no idea they were ramping up to the steaming pile of feth of the Dreadknight.

This exoskeletal monstrosity is so far beyond the aesthetic of Space Marines, let alone Grey Knights that it frankly boggles my mind.

I get the logical necessity of big Marines to fight big Daemons. But you know what? We have those. Dreadnoughts. This thing is ridiculous. The exposed crewman is ridiculous.

Gah.
Wow.
I'm in a totally different place.
I LOVE that they did something totally different. I think that the SM lines are getting a little stale, with no new *anything* out there, as far as *types* of models. I like the addition of a new type of armor.
Also, I think you're looking at the DK as more of a Dreadnought. Think of it more as supplemental armor. It doesn't have an Armor value, it gets the terminators 2+ save. It's just a terminator in a huge exoskeleton.

Still annoyed by those shoulder pads.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
imp522 ( 730 )
Giant Scary Eyeball

Post by imp522 »

m1710176a_99120107003_DreadKnight01_873x627.jpg
Reminds me of Ripley in the Power loader for some reason. Line doesn't do much for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://adventurein15mm.blogspot.com/

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

Have you read the site rules? viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470 If not do so.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

MagickalMemories wrote: Wow.
I'm in a totally different place.
I LOVE that they did something totally different. I think that the SM lines are getting a little stale, with no new *anything* out there, as far as *types* of models. I like the addition of a new type of armor.
I agree that the SM lines are a little stale--but in most regards, they're fantastic. When you've reached the upper limits of an aesthetic, it's not time to introduce nonsense into a well-established and fully workable whole; it's time to actually add something new to the universe.

I know that Inquisitor introduced us to "Everything you know is a lie", but seriously--Imperial equipment is pretty well fleshed out and developed. And (except for the Storm Raven--and the unbelievable stupidity of Space Marines riding wolves) full of awesome. The revisions to the Rhino chassis and its variants were overdue and welcome--they really ADDED something there. With the Dreadknight, we get a piece of kit shoehorned into a list to sell $60 kits. (Yes, I know GW is a company and needs to make money. Please don't remind me. Microsoft is a company and needs to make money--that doesn't excuse Vista). An ugly piece of kit at odds with basically the entire SM line, GKs included.
MagickalMemories wrote: Also, I think you're looking at the DK as more of a Dreadnought. Think of it more as supplemental armor. It doesn't have an Armor value, it gets the terminators 2+ save. It's just a terminator in a huge exoskeleton.
Still: http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/93/armorbot/
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

It's totally the battlesuits from the Matrix. Frankly I think it makes MORE sense going into Termie armor than in the cloth armor in the matrix. LOL

Termie armor is supposed to be able to withstand entry into an arc furnace which is as hot as the sun. It IS tough.

The Dred-knight is AWESOME!!! and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Getting 3 of those babies.
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Norseman wrote:It's totally the battlesuits from the Matrix.

Dude--this is your defense of the design?

The Matrix: Revisited (xkcd)
matrix.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
Ironhide ( 92 )
Technicolor Messiah

Post by Ironhide »

Grey Knights are a secretive chapter and are given the best equipment the Imperium can provide. It is only logical they would have things never seen before in other SM organizations or the IG. Also the penitent engines from the Witchhunters codex could be precursors of this improved type of armor.
"You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need." - The Rolling Stones
FBI Internet Fraud Center http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
USPS Mail Fraud http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms ... laint.aspx

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Okay... linking to that GI Joe thing is shenaniganism! LOL TOTALLY not the same thing.

I think you and I are looking at it from two different perspectives. You're looking at it from the "blah blah blah... established aesthetics... blah blah blah... doesn't match... blah blah blah... :enter fluffy reasonings here:" point of view, and I'm the 7 year old kid peering in the window of the toy shop jumping up and down screaming, "Cool! Cool! Mom! Look! Look! Can I have it?! Can I have it?!"

You'll never hear the "GW needs to make money" argument out of me. Whatever I think about the game and (most of) the models, I am NO FRIEND to GW. That, however, is 2 or 3 or 8 different threads. LOL

I just really think the model looks cool as all Hell. I think it's frigging awesome. I will probably buy one just for the experience of putting it together and painting it. LOL Maybe I'll even loot it!

Lastly, to throw a "fluff" reason at you, the Imperium and Ad Mech are always on the search for STC's. This could simply be introduced as one of them. :shrug: It looks like a mini titan to me, anyway.

Eric

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Ironhide wrote:Grey Knights are a secretive chapter and are given the best equipment the Imperium can provide.
Except jump packs... and las cannons... and plasma cannons... and... Well, you get the idea. LOL

On another note, good point, re: Penitent Engines.

Eric

s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

MagickalMemories wrote:...and I'm the 7 year old kid peering in the window of the toy shop jumping up and down screaming, "Cool! Cool! Mom! Look! Look! Can I have it?! Can I have it?!"
I do independently think it's lame looking. The lack of an armoured crew compartment is a huge issue for me.
MagickalMemories wrote: Lastly, to throw a "fluff" reason at you, the Imperium and Ad Mech are always on the search for STC's. This could simply be introduced as one of them. :shrug: It looks like a mini titan to me, anyway.
Your and IH's rationale are both reasonable. But on GW's part, this is a bit of a cop out.

Hell, this could be a secret STC:
Spider-Skull Walker.jpg
It would still be a LAME Grey Knight unit. And it still wouldn't look like Space Marine equipment.

Space Marines don't have jetbikes. They used to, and now they don't, and that's largely because jetbikes aren't a "Marine thing". Tau giant robot? F'ing A! Marine giant robot? Lame.

YMMV, but I really think we're headed into the gutter here. Even the Giant Spider for the Orcs and Goblins book is a bit of a head shake. Yes, goblins ride spiders. Yes, giant monsters are cool(ish). But a gigantic spider? That's the mega-orc unit?

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Ironhide wrote:Also the penitent engines from the Witchhunters codex could be precursors of this improved type of armor.
See, the penitent engine (even though it seems like a tremendous waste of resources) fits the "mood" of the Witchhunters for me. Clock work chainsaw monster with flamers? Yes please.

Stilt wearing terminators with orangutan arms and giant hammers? No thanks.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
-----

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”