Best "antique" army models?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

TheRhino ( 212 )
Journeyman Trader

Best "antique" army models?

Post by TheRhino »

I keep having this urge to start an "old school" army. One that uses few, if any, plastics.
I keep wanting to build a Second Edition-style Nid army, or one of the metal-only IG regiments, or even an all-metal Second Edition Chaos Marine army.
Which "antique" army do you feel is the coolest? Which one has the fondest memories for you? Which one would be viable to start today without spending $200 per unit?
s_o_r_r_o_w ( 312 )
Moderator Without Title

Re: Best "antique" army models?

Post by s_o_r_r_o_w »

Now this is my kind of thread.

I have two of these projects on the go. The first is an all metal, all original Rogue Trader Space Marine army.

Not for the faint of heart though, I assure you.

My other project, and this one I can recommend, is going all 2nd ed Space Marines. The metal range is pretty much filled out, and not that desirable (so it's cheap).

The one problem you might have is the plastic arms, but I went with modern arms in 90% of cases. They're readily available and pretty cheap too. Original Rhinos are a bit of a problem, but the new style go well with the old figs.
I am always in the market for weird and wonderful GW oddbitz and ephemera. PM me if you have something old/weird/rare.

-----
No Finecast, please.
-----
READ THE RULES!
-----
Tips on shipping to Canada
-----
Bartertown Trade Vocabulary
Norseman ( 374 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by Norseman »

I am a big fan, of the older models.

I have a RT 2nd ed Chaos SM army. Very small. Thousand Sons army. It worked with last eds codex. Squad of 9 Sorcerers all with Gift of Chaos...That spell that turned a enemy model into a chaos spawn. I always ended the game with more models than I started with.

I also have at least a platoon, of the all metal Valhallan, Steel Legion, Tallarn, Mordian, Praetorian, Tanith, Cadian, & Catachan.

The one problem...is once you start you can't stop COLLECTING!!!
diriel ( 46 )
BTown Regular

Post by diriel »

I kind of cheated on the price. I started playing Imperial Guard in 2004 with a battle force, and for my birthday present my friends pitched in and won an ebay auction for roughly 80 tallarn figures. I managed to scrape together a full platoon and about 9 heavy weapon teams out of that present.

To this day I still keep an eye out, because my other platoon is all Cadians. I would probably pay a pretty heft sum to get another couple platoons worth of tallarns.
I'd probably round it out with replacing my cadian heavy weapons teams with forgeworld ones (because they did an awesome job on them, imo). I'm still not sold on the forgeworld rough riders, and getting another 6 of the old metal ones is also a top priority.

You can often find batches on ebay, but nowhere near the $120 my friends managed to win (thats a $1.50 a figure, which you can't even get close to on metal figures now). Usually tallarn will run 2-4 times that price per figure.

I really need to be religious about coming on here and search every couple weeks for tallarn.
---------------------------------------------------
Diriel

I'm back in the states now!
TheRhino ( 212 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by TheRhino »

I probably should have mentioned that my current and only army right now is a large Space Marine force. No more Loyalist Space Marines!

Sounds like if I were to jump into this, it would have to be a slow-and-gradual process of collecting bit-by-bit. I can't slap down 150+ bucks for a lot of metal figs right now :(
eman1_2 ( 278 )
Resident Trader

Post by eman1_2 »

It involves plastics, but old school tyranids are never bad. The old genestealers can still be found, and the metal gaunts are nice. Old scool warriors can be found, still, too. Old Hive Tyrant was actually my first 40K model.

I have 3 of the old Rhinos. I keep looking at them. Cannot decide if I want to keep them for nostalgia, or try to see if someone collecting an army like this needs them.
Mike

- A simple 'not interested' to a trade offer is just being polite. It helps people setting up multiple trades know where they stand.
- Google something for someone, they get an answer. Teach someone how to Google their own answer, they own the Internet.
GearHead ( 674 )
Expert Trader

Post by GearHead »

I recently had a 2nd-edition Nid army pass through my hands. I always thought the Warriors looked really goofy, but I loved the 'gaunts- the metal Hormagaunts were particularly cool!
A few trade guidlines:
1) If your feedback is significantly lower, I expect you to ship first, even if I'm buying- Money carries greater risks than minis: I can't buy groceries with a box of Tac Marines!
2) Communication is key! I'm a reasonable guy (I try,) so if there's a problem, tell me!
3) I package things well, you should do the same. Protect minis from each other, too.
4) Leave feedback!
jul ( 382 )
Bartertown Watchman

Post by jul »

Imperial Robots.... used to have a large amount of them, sold them, now i'm sad, and what was better than the models, the rules for them.....

J
Teacher Emma Bradford, who was excitedly buying 25th anniversary limited edition lead figures at her local Games Workshop, said: “A lot of people say this, but there's something about Warhammer games that just resonates with my vagina.
MagickalMemories wrote: I maintain the right to tease you about it endlessly, though! : )
kturock wrote:at least they're not in it for the poultry.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=130947

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”