What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Post by nightlord »

Well with the new 8th edition soon to be released I for one am very reserved. I have many reasons for this. For starters I have been playing 40k since Rogue Trader(I'm 49 years old). I was mainly playing Epic Space Marines/ Titan Legions before GW totally changed the rules and the game went to crap. Then It just died. Forge World tried revamping it. This was my first bitter taste of GW changing their games and making a game dead. Then they just suddenly quit supporting ManOWar. We played with what was released for some time. But that just became the same old game over and over once everyone figured out who was gonna do what. So it just faded off. Also Necromunda followed by the addition. And just like ManOwar, it just faded with lack of support from GW. All the while some of us hung onto 40k 2nd edition ,then 3rd , Then when 5th came out I quit for a while.6th edition came out and I went back into it. That slid into 7th. Now with 16 armies and 700.00 worth of rules and codexs I'm suddenly sick to my stomach. My last 3 built armies are based off of formations and such for 7th edition. I'm also in the middle of building a near company size Sons Of Medusa army based off the rules in both the Marines and Angels of Death codexs. Now who knows what it will become.

On a side note, A friend who is in the Airforce and was recently sent off for several months of training is finding out that all of his codexs are now dead. Bad part is he bought EVERY single codex that was released for 6-7th edition. I know he,s got to be sick to his stomach.

Another slap in the face was GW stated that if you bought a codex recently you could bring it in with the receipt and get a voucher for GW stores. 1) If you know the codex will be null and useless, why would you buy it in the first place??? 2) the receipt has to show (ie itemized) the purchase of said codex on it. How many registers show each and every purchase on it??? Maybe if you shop at Walmart or a grocery store. Most game shops have a cheap register that just shows a sub total , taxes then the total, Thats it. Mom and Pop stores cant afford a top of the line register.

GW says they are releasing all rules to all armies in the current game. Pay attention here. they are called INTRUCTORY RULES. Later on if you want to play with say Blood Angels , or Dark Angels, or Nightlords you will have to buy a separate codex alllll over again. Just like they are doing for AOS.

I for one hope that these new rules clean up the game like GW is claiming. But after 20+ years of GW and their constant inconsistent ways of doing things. I for one will not hold my breath. GW claims these rules were play tested. All you veterans of GW games, How many times have we heard that??? Everything they ever release has always been followed by and FAQ to clear things up, which then just complicates things even more.

My days of dumping 100's of dollars on GWs rules and codexs are probably over. Because if there is one thing I learned about GW. the more things change , the more they stay the same.

Please feel free to respond to the thread.

OH I talked to GW and a Rep, their excuse for this redo of 40k was to make it easier and cheaper for someone "NEW" to get into the game.
All they had to do was lower the prices of the figures. Go to a hobby store and look at what come with a model car, and what comes with a Rhino for 40k. then look at the price. Why does GW charge 30++ for a Single RESIN command model, and privateer press charges 1/2 that for a single metal commander model. Unreal.
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
Gaijin18 ( 272 )
Resident Trader

Re: What do you think about the "NEW" 8th edition changes???

Post by Gaijin18 »

They promised not to AOS 40k and they are,,,no suprise there,,,,will I keep playing yes,,,but more likely than not Ill just stick to 7th edition like I did with fantasy and stuck with 8th
"Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant"

Black Templar-24,000+
Imperial Guard
Gaunts Ghost -2,000
Victoria's Own 33rd of Foot-2,000
Sisters of battle-2,500
Loyal Chaos Marines-2,000
Legio I Italica-8.000

Bretonnians 3,000plus
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

If you are a hardcore GW player, you know that change is the only constant. GW only supports its two flagships AOS (Fantasy) and 40k. All the other games they come out with, you should realize are not supported, just little side projects you can have fun with. Been this way for decades. This recent change with the new CEO has been a breath of fresh air.
For example in the past, 8th ed would have just appeared for pre-order and you wouldnt get this kind of communication GW is having with the community now. I love 40k, and I couldnt stomach playing it anymore because of the INCREDIBLE BLOAT. I am jazzed for the new addition

AOS, BTW is a great game. Anything they bring from AOS to 40k is gold. And so far, i would say about 80% of AOS is now in 40k
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I've been saying this was going to happen for months and EVERYONE kept telling me how much of an idiot I was and blah blah blah. I knew this was happening YEARS ago. It was on Warseer ages ago and hastings (or maybe it was Harry) told us EXACTLY what was going to happen.

So now I get to go around poking people and saying "I told you so".

That aside. I like it, and I'll play it, and I'll like playing it. 100% from me.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Umm EPIC space marines/ Titan Legions was and used to be a MAIN stream game. There was as many blisters and box sets on the shelves as 40k and fantasy back in the day. GW ruined that game with a drastic rules change. And if GW had not suddenly released a point system for AOS that game would have went the way of the dinosaur too. Don't get me wrong here. I was just in my garage base coating a squad of marine bikers I built using the Angels of Death codex. I have no idea what they will be like in 8th edition. But I'm still going to finish them. I spent too much money buying bits and such just to throw them in a box and forget about them. I can always sit on them in case 8th is so bad I drop out until a better edition comes out. Like I did for 5th edition. EWWW....

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

I totally get the frustration, but you've been around a bit longer than I have, and edition changes are part of GW's game. I think it was pretty dickish of GW to release some major codex stuff like Legions and new smallish armies right before the drop, but wouldn't have minded if their last releases were campaign material. As much as it sucks for your friend, and as much as I dislike people justifying greed or corporate choices over decency, unless your friend's intent was to have a nice set of material to play around with, it's a mistake to ever expect anything like a grail collection of everything up to date and stable.

On new rules, I was certainly was suspecting something AOS-ish, too... GW's at least spinning it like they understood what happened with AOS (sorry akum, that initial reception certainly didn't look like gold to me, and a lot of scrambling and ret-cons and essentially using a fan system doesn't either, which is of course not saying you can't enjoy the game), and if they're spinning it that way, they know what's going on, it's probably going to be closer to that than not.

What I've seen, other than invulnerable save mitigation (which seems like what previews have been saying) has felt pretty positive. As long as they keep the D-equivalent stuff and the re-rollable super saves down, and have decent sense of uniqueness and points balance, I'll be okay with it. Which is to say, I'm very cautiously, somewhat optimistic.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
akum ( 230 )
2017 & 2018 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum »

Oh SC, not having points at start was the problem. They learned from that.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

I have a 4 year old. I play when I can. Last 40k game I played.....2015 easily. Been building and painting. Am I upset with 8th coming? No. Am I upset the my DA codex is no longer good. No. GW will continue the cycle of 2 years Fantasy, 2 years 40k, 2 years Fantasy and on and on. They have too. Ford, Chevy and Dodge all make new trucks every few years. Why cant GW make a new base product to build off? I have had 'side' armies in 40k. Moved them all. Not one person is forcing you too play 8th. Like 4th?? Play it. Like 5th??? Again, play it. Will I print the new rules when they hit?? Sure. I like free. Same with the DA codex. Will I buy the full size books right away?? I will wait for them too show up and see the price. I am also not holding my breath on what anyone is saying 8th will be. Rumors are like...well BT is a 'family friendly site' so you know how the rest goes.

That's all I have. I have birthday cake left overs on the table.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Well I have enough stuff to build 11 more armies now. And have 9 built and painted armies now. The only thing GW will be getting out of me for now on is the cost of printer paper and the ink to print the "FREE-mion" rules on line. Other then that they can kiss my ......!!!

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'm looking forward to it.
I honestly do NOT like the free rules.
Hmm.
Let me 'splain.
I LOVE that they're offering the crack... err... rules for free. A lot more people are going to take notice of the game, I think.
I just don't like PDFs and home-printed rule sets, personally. I'd rather pay a *reasonable* fee for a nicely printed & bound rulebook than have to deal with something I don't enjoy dealing with.
I sincerely hope they offer a physical copy of the rules for a reasonable cost.
I've been watching the changes they're talking about on warhammer-community.com. I'm cautiously optimistic. They're doing some interesting and necessary things. I hope they don't do a lot of stupid crap, as well.

Fingers crossed.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

As a follower and player of AoS over 40k, I'm hoping that its truly more of a change than it was from 6th to 7th.
AoS, despite what the naysayers are saying, is making more money than fantasy. Fantasy was at the point of being changed or dropped.
The change brought in more players and more money.
All of the free rules are available in print form. There is 1 book for each faction that has all of the old models stats and rules. All new models are included with the model kit. The new army/codex books have the new stats and rules and special 'formation' type rules.

I've like fantasy over 40k for years. 40k only has a few armies: marines; good and chaos, daemons, necrons, bugs, tau, guard, eldar. Yes there are a dozen different marines, but it's still the same models and stats. And most played the same.
The armies in fantasy are and were more diverse.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

I used to play fantasy. Then the rules got more and more complex to the point were if you didn't play it all the time one would fall behind and not know all the tricks and gimics of the game. It just wasent fun anymore and made less sense to me. Then when GW went with the no point system I sold everything I owned for fantasy.

Now I'm seeing where the HUGE Sons of Medusa army I built ,and have base coated, based on 7th edition codexs may be more then i'll ever need for this army since formations are now gone too. Actually it was 2 armies merged into one paint design. One armored Marine army and one drop pod army. I'm afraid I may end up only using half of it now. 4 drop pods, 70+ marines , 33 scouts, 6 razor backs, 3 predators, 3 vindicators, 1 whirlwind, 1 landraider with forge world kit, 3 speeders,4 dreads, And custom decals for the whole army. Everything is sitting there waiting to see if I once again pack it all up and wait till GW releases codexs for specialized marines armies again (IE) blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, and IRON HANDS(SONS OF MEDUSA)

Remember when 6th edition came out, CHaos codex came out right after it, ANd it took GW how many years to revamp chaos . And then the codex supplement has only been out for about a year???

Anyone remember when GW made all chaos deamons the same 15 points for any and all deamons across the board. And all the greater deamons were the same too. Could this be more of the same again????

If so, I'll just pack em all up again, and go back to building motorcycles again. I already built a $8k Building in the back and started empting my garage for it.
Hmmf....Sighh...

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

I think GW have figured out that people don't want that vanilla nonsense any more: they've been doing a ton of niche armies with official models. However, that doesn't mean that they'll actually make a good game or understand what, in a unique army, people are actually looking for.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I'll just say this:
I'm hopeful.
GW has been making a lot of the RIGHT moves lately. They're releasing games, armies and codices that people have been clamoring to have for quite a while. They're not keeping everything hush-hush and secret.
We're seeing more official teasers of upcoming models/products sooner than we used to. There was a time, not so long ago, that it seemed as if the GWInquisition hunted and stamped out those who would DARE leak anything about their products. Now, we're getting a new article every damned day TELLING US the exact changes we can expect to see in the upcoming ruleset.
That alone is an amazing change.

So... they're making the right moves, IMO, for their customers. I can only hope the lessons they learned along that avenue will port over to the actual rules, as well.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
HawtFist ( 42 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by HawtFist »

I am cautiously optimistic as well. The new rules they suggest, combined with their recent attempts to keep the community informed, respond to feedback, and lower the entry cost are all good. The fact that they'll let retailers sell online with a discount is also amazing and not something I thought I would see again.

This edition has the potential to make my orks and CSM decent again. Honestly, I'm more than cautiously optimistic - I'm actually psyched. I expect they learned from the AoS rollout too, so they're be less hiccoughs this time. Rules bloat, not offering side projects, cost, and barriers to entry are all issues with this game and GW seems to actually be trying to address them. I'm also excited for the new version of Epic they've been hinting about. Like, "I have to think about baseball before I stand up" level of excited.
On r/miniswap under the same name. Please be polite & answer PMs, even if all you tell me is "No thanks," or "I need more time." I expect lower rating to ship first, even if that's me, unless we work something out in advance.

Owed feedback: evaunit117

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”