Unsolicited sales offers to posts

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

shakespear ( 192 )
Resident Trader

Unsolicited sales offers to posts

Post by shakespear »

Several times over the last month or two I've gotten this response to my posts a few times:

"You are looking insert game? I can get you that for 20% off!"

So can MM, thewarstore or a bunch of other websites.

Not sure what they expect...
Youtube channel:

youtube.com/achancesw

Podcast:

http://chanceofgaming.com/
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Unsolicited sales offers to posts

Post by MagickalMemories »

shakespear wrote:Several times over the last month or two I've gotten this response to my posts a few times:

"You are looking insert game? I can get you that for 20% off!"

So can MM, thewarstore or a bunch of other websites.

Not sure what they expect...
(Rhetorical question - Don't answer publicly)
Who's sending you the message? That's is important.

If it's someone with a blue name, he is an Advertiser. While annoying, those posts are within the rules (more on this later).
If their user ID is NOT blue, they're likely breaking the rules by acting as a business without supporting the site. In that case, you should hit the "Report" button on the PM, so staff can address it.

As for the Advertisers...
Advertisers pay to advertise here. THEY are what keeps the site up. Staff keep it running, but the money to do so comes from Advertisers. They are why we are able to stay open as a free site.
It isn't uncommon for someone to look for an item for TRADE because, for whatever reason, they just didn't think about coming here to find someone to SELL it to them. I've had personal experience where someone didn't have trade items I wanted but, when I offered to sell them my item, they were surprised, because they just didn't think it was an option (as if it was just not DONE here).
So, while that unsolicited offer to SELL the item might be annoying, it's understandable if you didn't explicitly state "Not looking to buy" or something similar in your post. So, with that in mind, it's not unacceptable for an Advertiser to PM you, in that instance.

And, again, back onto the topic of non-advertising businesses... many people might think it's not a big deal and not report that PM.
So, what happens then? What if we have a lot of non-advertisers like that? They start making it unprofitable for businesses to advertise here. Those businesses stop advertising, and we lose that income. That happens too much, and we can no longer afford to keep the metaphorical doors open.

Non advertising businesses are detrimental to the site. Keep that in mind.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”